Forums - Sony Discussion - The PS4 really should have backwards compatibility!

Better focus on remastering PS3 games so they can be played on 60FPS at least, the same goes for PS4 titles, which today run at 30 FPS will get remastered for PS5 to be able to be played at 60FPS.



Around the Network
twintail said:
VGPolyglot said:

So it'd just be so much more practical if Sony did what Microsoft did and allowed PS3 backwards compatibility. Now, PS1 and PS2 would be nice as well, but I'm not holding my breath for that so I think the PS3 is a nice short-term goal. 

Wait, you think Sony should push for PS3 BC even though its virtually impossible for them to do so and that PS1 and PS2 are the long term goals?

You do know that it would be infinitively easier to port over PS1 and PS2 games right?

They have the source code and the data for the PS3, so I don't see how it'd be impossible for them to do so.



Aeolus451 said:
I don't care about bc as a feature. I'm not a very nostalgic person. If I wanted to play an old game, I would just crank up my old consoles. I buy new consoles to play current gen games. Sometimes, I'll play a remaster though.

It's not just nostalgia, I have a ton of PS3 games that I haven't gotten to.



I gave it up.



"Allow" isn't the right term at all. They would have to spend a lot of money for a team to reprogram all those games to work with the PS4. They have no incentive to do that, especially not this late in the life-cycle of the PS4.

Microsoft did it as a PR move because they were desperately trying to recover from the XO launch. Sony was never in that position and, to be quite honest, the fact that it didn't hinder PS4 sales probably indicates that it's not all that important to the average consumer. Sony going the Microsoft route at this point would likely do very little to increase unit sales.

If it was going to happen then it would have happened before now.



Around the Network
pokoko said:
"Allow" isn't the right term at all. They would have to spend a lot of money for a team to reprogram all those games to work with the PS4. They have no incentive to do that, especially not this late in the life-cycle of the PS4.

Microsoft did it as a PR move because they were desperately trying to recover from the XO launch. Sony was never in that position and, to be quite honest, the fact that it didn't hinder PS4 sales probably indicates that it's not all that important to the average consumer. Sony going the Microsoft route at this point would likely do very little to increase unit sales.

If it was going to happen then it would have happened before now.

So, I guess that means then really that if we want the most out of our consoles, that it's better for them to be lagging behind other consoles because that forces them to have to do gestures of goodwill.



For me personally, it doesn't really bother me, since my PS3 is literally inches away from my PS4 Pro and they're both hooked up to the same display, lol. Although I do think it'd be a nice feature for those that want it, and if they could enhance the games the same way the XB1X does, then I'd be all for it!



It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't, at the very least, play games bought on PSN for PS3 and PSV back in the day on your PS4. I was staggered when I found out that was the case.



VGPolyglot said:
twintail said:

Wait, you think Sony should push for PS3 BC even though its virtually impossible for them to do so and that PS1 and PS2 are the long term goals?

You do know that it would be infinitively easier to port over PS1 and PS2 games right?

They have the source code and the data for the PS3, so I don't see how it'd be impossible for them to do so.

The PS3 architecture is designed in such a way that games coded for it are not automatically compatible with any other hardware. Its why you have seen devs remaster instead, because that easier than trying to get the PS4 to emulate something that is foreign to its own hardware. 

its why its far easier for MS to implement BC because the structural differences between XB to 360 to X1 are close enough to make it possible. PS3 hardware is pretty foreign in terms of design. Why do you think so many devs had problems coding for it?
Its also why Sony went with a more user friendly and common architecture with the PS4 so that they wouldnt have software development issues from 3rd party devs. Likewise, PS4 is in a place to be forward compatible, something the PS3 will likely never ever be. 



Machina said:
It's absolutely ridiculous that you can't, at the very least, play games bought on PSN for PS3 and PSV back in the day on your PS4. I was staggered when I found out that was the case.

Many PSV games wouldnt even work because of the controls differences, but yeah this seems like something Sony could and should have implemented. 

PS3 games obviously dont work because they are coded for hardware that is incompatible with the PS4.