By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 Bombed - Sad because I loved the direction

Damn they should have put huge RE7 ads on city buses

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

Around the Network

You just wanted to say the word "bombed" didn't you?

Azzanation said:

I dont believe RE7 bombed.
However alot of people in here dont seem to understand how the buisness works.

If RE7s budget is extremely high than they will require an extremely high sales figure for a multiplat.

MGS5 sold under its massive budget and still did okay on sales figures. But there just figures not profit. That game would have hurt Komani.
Tomb Raider was under there sales expectations hence why they remastered the game for PS4 and X1 to increase its sales.

I dont think Capcon spent too much on RE7 as the games quality likes to suggests. I think 5m is good for it, than again i dont know the budget that went into it.

End of day is sales has to exceed the budget spent. That can vary depending on the game. Maybe RE7 bombed if the game needed to sell 6m to 7m to make a profit.

This is why sales figures mean nothing unless it means a good return. A game can sell 20m copies but if the budget is 1b to create than it would be a bomb. I think Shenmue on Dreamcast suffered that fate where its production cost was too high for its sales and it bombed.

You call people out for "not understanding how the business work", yet you make it clear you haven't read most replies in the thread.

Because people, myself included, already pointed out that the game did recoup its budget before reaching 2.5M copies sold. It is now at over 5.1M copies sold. Let that sink in.

LipeJJ said:
He's not really wrong tho, guys. Capcom is pretty demanding/crazy when it comes to expectations.

Since RE7 didn't sell that well, I'd not be surprised if Capcom is disappointed and is already planning on another "reboot".

But thats not the case.Everytime Capcom talked about RE 7 sales, they said they were really satisfied, even when they still have this strange expectations about the game like it sellling 10 million units.

The game is the 4th best selkling RE ever, it was far cheaper to make compared to RE 6, and it wont be that far from it in sales in the long run.

This for me just read as a big success no matter what.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Wyrdness said:
I'm convinced the OP just wakes up and decides to randomly make a topic or argument even if reality contradicts it, 80+ on metacritic is low is another such argument he's had.

Well, he is providing more useful data for me.

Around the Network

Between people thinking over 5 mil in sales is a bomb and anything under an 8 out of 10 is a horrible game, I think it is safe to say that gamers these days are absolutely clueless about...well...just about everything.

Nintendo Switch Friend Code: SW-5643-2927-1984

Animal Crossing NH Dream Address: DA-1078-9916-3261

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

I dont believe RE7 bombed.
However alot of people in here dont seem to understand how the buisness works.

If RE7s budget is extremely high than they will require an extremely high sales figure for a multiplat.

MGS5 sold under its massive budget and still did okay on sales figures. But there just figures not profit. That game would have hurt Komani.
Tomb Raider was under there sales expectations hence why they remastered the game for PS4 and X1 to increase its sales.

I dont think Capcon spent too much on RE7 as the games quality likes to suggests. I think 5m is good for it, than again i dont know the budget that went into it.

End of day is sales has to exceed the budget spent. That can vary depending on the game. Maybe RE7 bombed if the game needed to sell 6m to 7m to make a profit.

This is why sales figures mean nothing unless it means a good return. A game can sell 20m copies but if the budget is 1b to create than it would be a bomb. I think Shenmue on Dreamcast suffered that fate where its production cost was too high for its sales and it bombed.

You call people out for "not understanding how the business work", yet you make it clear you haven't read most replies in the thread.

Because people, myself included, already pointed out that the game did recoup its budget before reaching 2.5M copies sold. It is now at over 5.1M copies sold. Let that sink in.

Strange i never said RE7 didnt make a profit. Hence my first sentence "i dont believe RE7 bombed". I am explaining how the sales figures in general dont nessaracy mean profits. Probably best to read my comment before going super defensive.

This is the same guy that said that Far Cry 5's 81 is a low metascore. Apparently he thinks that every game needs to be a 10-million selling masterpiece, otherwise it's a flop, a bomb.

B O I

Capcom is horrible with timing.  They take market data and make bad decisions with it all the time usually far after the market has changed significantly from the data.  They strangely do not understand how the community and industry works even after all these years in the business. Moments like Monster Hunter World are rare for them. High probability that whatever decision they make will be out of left field and not what we would want really.

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

Strange i never said RE7 didnt make a profit. Hence my first sentence "i dont believe RE7 bombed". I am explaining how the sales figures in general dont nessaracy mean profits. Probably best to read my comment before going super defensive.

Of course. You said: "End of day is sales has to exceed the budget spent." No kidding. You know what else? Water is wet.

Also: "That can vary depending on the game. Maybe RE7 bombed if the game needed to sell 6m to 7m to make a profit."

So you didn't say it bombed or didn't turn a profit. You said maybe it did. Because you didn't read the thread, in which multiple people already brought up the numbers and quotes that confirm the game started turning a profit a while ago.

Wouldn't be an issue if you hadn't been so eager to lecture people on something everyone understands.

Last edited by Hynad - on 09 April 2018