By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Resident Evil 7 Bombed - Sad because I loved the direction

I refuse to accept that a game that sells 5.1 million units can be considered a bomb. RE7 was always going to sell less than RE6 cause the slower more creepy atmosphere will always sell less than a fast-paced action-game

Around the Network
Johnw1104 said:
So scoring in the 70's for Kirby means it "bombed" and north of 5 million before accounting for Xbox 1 sales in future means resident evil 7 "bombed"...?

I feel that word has lost all meaning.

"[...] before accounting for XBox One sales in future"

What do you mean?

Hynad said:
Johnw1104 said:
So scoring in the 70's for Kirby means it "bombed" and north of 5 million before accounting for Xbox 1 sales in future means resident evil 7 "bombed"...?

I feel that word has lost all meaning.

"[...] before accounting for XBox One sales in future"

What do you mean?

Sorry, something I'd read lead me to believe it had only just recently released on the Xbox 1, but apparently that was referring to the Xbox 1 X patch instead.

Fortunately, 5 million is still 5 million and far from "bomb" territory lol... perhaps "underperformed" or "did not meet expectations" would work a bit better.

Lol, in what world 5m is bombed or massive fail!? 1m would be bombed or massive fail for RE not 5m+.

There is huge difference between game don't have great sales and massive fail.

Last edited by Miyamotoo - on 09 April 2018

Production cost, to name jsut one point of many.
RE6 was the most expensive Resident Evil ever. AFAIR Resident Evil 7 had a substantially lower budget, Sony paid at least partially for the marketing and so on.

Around the Network

95% or so of games in existence confirmed bombs?

"Q. Has Resident Evil 7 recouped its development cost at this point?
A.Yes, it has recouped its development cost, and presently has shipped 2.5 million units. (*3 million units as of February 10.)"
Last edited by caffeinade - on 09 April 2018

Medisti said:
(trailer voice) In a world where over 5 million copies is considered a bomb, game publishers struggle to survive...

^ this

(=^・ω・^=) Kuroneko S2 - Ore no Imouto - SteamMyAnimeList and Twitter - PSN: Gustavo_Valim - Switch FC: 6390-8693-0129 (=^・ω・^=)

I'm convinced the OP just wakes up and decides to randomly make a topic or argument even if reality contradicts it, 80+ on metacritic is low is another such argument he's had.

I dont believe RE7 bombed.
However alot of people in here dont seem to understand how the buisness works.

If RE7s budget is extremely high than they will require an extremely high sales figure for a multiplat.

MGS5 sold under its massive budget and still did okay on sales figures. But there just figures not profit. That game would have hurt Komani.
Tomb Raider was under there sales expectations hence why they remastered the game for PS4 and X1 to increase its sales.

I dont think Capcon spent too much on RE7 as the games quality likes to suggests. I think 5m is good for it, than again i dont know the budget that went into it.

End of day is sales has to exceed the budget spent. That can vary depending on the game. Maybe RE7 bombed if the game needed to sell 6m to 7m to make a profit.

This is why sales figures mean nothing unless it means a good return. A game can sell 20m copies but if the budget is 1b to create than it would be a bomb. I think Shenmue on Dreamcast suffered that fate where its production cost was too high for its sales and it bombed.

Last edited by Azzanation - on 09 April 2018