By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is stopping big retailers from donating their food rather than throwing it away?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
jigokutamago said:

I don't understand. If producing locally results in a cheaper price, wouldn't firms just move towards producing locally, even under capitalism?

Good question, we should ask those big corporations why they choose to produce halfway across the world rather than locally.

But if I may venture a guess, it's probably cause by producing halfway across the world they get tax incentives and other dirty tricks that allow them to maximize profit at the expense of everything else: quality, the environment, paying decent wages to their workers over there, consumers etc. Again Capitalism in all its splendor.

You raise a valid point there, in that they are able to pay the workers lower wages, but it seems like that'd go against your assertion that it'd be cheaper to produce it locally. The thing is, it's cheaper to do it abroad, that's why a lot of industries are moving to other countries. Agricultural is no different.

Around the Network

Came here only to have fun reading posts against capitalism...
...wasn't disappointed.

EnricoPallazzo said:
Came here only to have fun reading posts against capitalism...
...wasn't disappointed.

Huh okay... Fun as in you hate capitalism and you are glad that some people criticize it and take a swing at it?

Or Fun as in, capitalism is your religion and you think it's perfect and therefore you are having fun at people trying to criticize this beautiful perfection and in your opinion those poor little critics are failing miserably?

Cause your post is ambiguous and could be interpreted one way or the other.

Health code violations, probably.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

the-pi-guy said:

1.)  The whole point of the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Act is that it overrides state laws, so that all companies don't have to worry about individual states.  Unless you can cite an example of a local law that overrides the Bill Emerson Food Act, the liability concerns are only a belief and there are no actual laws that stop it from happening. 

Not American but I had this similar discussion with a lawyer friend who is and he stated the Bill Emerson Good Samaritan Food Act doesn't override state law, it actually explicitly states you need to be compliant with state laws as well. It also has exceptions for gross negligence which he says knowingly providing goods passed their expiry date would be a very strong argument to take to court to invalidate the protection of Good Samaritan Food Act as that could easily be argued as gross negligence.

Here in Australia many of the large retailers already donate excess food to local charities.

Around the Network

From my experience working at a supermarket, all the stuff (emphasis on all) that was thrown was already inedible. Eggs, dairy products, perishable food, etc., had to be stored back and then the distributors would come for them later. Nothing went away without ever being offered first. Also, as pokoko states, it's reasonable to think a few chains might send some supplies as donatios, it's all part of social responsability, and enterprises clearly benefit from this.

My bet with The_Liquid_Laser: I think the Switch won't surpass the PS2 as the best selling system of all time. If it does, I'll play a game of a list that The_Liquid_Laser will provide, I will have to play it for 50 hours or complete it, whatever comes first. 

I remember reading it's a FDA regulations thing. Still seems wrong, if you ask me.