By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is stopping big retailers from donating their food rather than throwing it away?

FentonCrackshell said:
Eagle367 said:
The dates on most food is bs anyways. Best before is just nonsense. The only thing where the actual expiry is of concern is on medicine. Other than that you could probably eat biscuits that were "expired" a month before and get and get away with it. I remember watching something that said the actual reason for best before is that people throw away the things they brought if it goes past that date and buy more so more profit. Its a science in how to manipulate people. The only real way to tell if food is bad if you can visibly see that it's bad or smell that it's bad or taste that it's bad. That's why most food looks and tastes fine after the best before date. All you have to do is keep the food in a collection and dry place because dampness and heat are the two biggest factors for spoilage. Yeah I think it costs money to donate the food they throw away. One eqya of doing it is to incentivise these chains by offering them tax cuts if they do it much like how they get tax cuts for donating to charities. As long as it's legitimate and not scamming people, that feels like the only way, or the government itself has collection centres which cost next to nothing to get to for chains. People say we don;t need government but these private chains will; eat us alive without anyone regulating them. They know how to manipulate us and maximize profits. They'll make slaves out of people before they realize it

“Best before” and “Expires on” aren’t the same thing though. “Best before” on biscuits doesn’t mean much. But don’t you dare drink milk after it’s “Expires on” date. I’ve made that mistake by accident. 

I thought it was best by on milk, too. I've drank it a few days after that date before and it was fine. Definitely wouldn't risk a full week after, though. Lol. 

Around the Network

I dunno about the logistics of donating waste food to the needy and all that, but there are some cool new ventures on the way to help reduce food waste in other ways:

https://www.cnet.com/news/karma-waste-food-dining-app-london-launch/

thismeintiel said:
FentonCrackshell said:

“Best before” and “Expires on” aren’t the same thing though. “Best before” on biscuits doesn’t mean much. But don’t you dare drink milk after it’s “Expires on” date. I’ve made that mistake by accident. 

I thought it was best by on milk, too. I've drank it a few days after that date before and it was fine. Definitely wouldn't risk a full week after, though. Lol. 

Just checked the milk in my fridge and it’s only says a date and nothing else. Opening to interpretation lol. Try at your own risk. 

PC GAMING: BEST GAMES. WORST CONTROLS

A mouse & keyboard are made for sending email and typing internet badassery. Not for playing video games!!!

FentonCrackshell said:
thismeintiel said:

Just checked the milk in my fridge and it’s only says a date and nothing else. Opening to interpretation lol. Try at your own risk. 

Throw that sucker out a day early then. No point in risking that. Lol. 

KLAMarine said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:
Capitalism is what is stopping them. Food is a commodity that must be sold, not given. I don't like it but this is the world we live in.

Of course food has to be paid for; seeds don't plant themselves, crops don't harvest themselves, food doesn't just fly to our local store shelves on their own. These things take labor and that labor has to be paid for.

Yes but when paying for food becomes a situation where some people literally has to starve to death cause they can't pay for it, then the system itself is wrong. And that's exactly the issue, the system, in other words: capitalism.

Just cause we don't see children starving cause it happens far away or even in our own country but we still don't see it does not make it less of a crime. A society that lets its children starve to preserve a system that in the end is only good for a minority of people (cause even the middle class is having a harder time than they used to), then such a system is fundamentally wrong.

Around the Network
CrazyGamer2017 said:
KLAMarine said:

Of course food has to be paid for; seeds don't plant themselves, crops don't harvest themselves, food doesn't just fly to our local store shelves on their own. These things take labor and that labor has to be paid for.

Yes but when paying for food becomes a situation where some people literally has to starve to death cause they can't pay for it, then the system itself is wrong. And that's exactly the issue, the system, in other words: capitalism.

Just cause we don't see children starving cause it happens far away or even in our own country but we still don't see it does not make it less of a crime. A society that lets its children starve to preserve a system that in the end is only good for a minority of people (cause even the middle class is having a harder time than they used to), then such a system is fundamentally wrong.

I'm not sure I'd automatically point a finger at capitalism for starvation in a given place. Sometimes other factors have a greater impact on food supplies like natural disasters or war. Additionally, no economic system will change the fact that seeds need planting, crops need harvesting, and food needs transportation to get to where it's needed most.

KLAMarine said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I'm not sure I'd automatically point a finger at capitalism for starvation in a given place. Sometimes other factors have a greater impact on food supplies like natural disasters or war. Additionally, no economic system will change the fact that seeds need planting, crops need harvesting, and food needs transportation to get to where it's needed most.

I don't know, maybe a system where food is produced locally instead of it being transported half way across the world would help toward a smaller environmental impact AND a cheaper price at retail. But transporting food half way across the world is part of globalization and globalization is one of the pillars of capitalism.

As for wars and natural disasters, they cause the problems in some examples of starvation but the actual starvation is caused by the fact that the people caught in wars and natural disasters can't afford what they need to recover from said disasters and that issue of not being able to recover is directly caused by their poverty AKA lack of money AKA capitalism.

CrazyGamer2017 said:
KLAMarine said:

I don't know, maybe a system where food is produced locally instead of it being transported half way across the world would help toward a smaller environmental impact AND a cheaper price at retail. But transporting food half way across the world is part of globalization and globalization is one of the pillars of capitalism.

I don't understand. If producing locally results in a cheaper price, wouldn't firms just move towards producing locally, even under capitalism?

CrazyGamer2017 said:
KLAMarine said:

Key word here is 'maybe'.

CrazyGamer2017 said: 

As for wars and natural disasters, they cause the problems in some examples of starvation but the actual starvation is caused by the fact that the people caught in wars and natural disasters can't afford what they need to recover from said disasters and that issue of not being able to recover is directly caused by their poverty AKA lack of money AKA capitalism.

But what if farmland has been wiped out by a hurricane or flood? How's money supposed fix that? I can go to my local supermarket with pockets full of cash but if the supermarket has empty shelves, what good are my pockets full of bills?

Perhaps a lack of money is a symptom rather than a cause of a problem?

jigokutamago said:
CrazyGamer2017 said:

I don't understand. If producing locally results in a cheaper price, wouldn't firms just move towards producing locally, even under capitalism?

Good question, we should ask those big corporations why they choose to produce halfway across the world rather than locally.

But if I may venture a guess, it's probably cause by producing halfway across the world they get tax incentives and other dirty tricks that allow them to maximize profit at the expense of everything else: quality, the environment, paying decent wages to their workers over there, consumers etc. Again Capitalism in all its splendor.