By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Native 4K not worth it.

Azzanation said:
Otter said:

Native 4k resolution isn't required for HDR? And you can market a console as a 4k machine, without all of its games being 4k, thats down to developers (most 360/ps3 games aren't 1080p), what I'm saying is that 4k comes at a huge cost of other graphical improvements like lighting, quality of textures, pop in, dOP, VFX/simulations, poly count and of course performance. 

And how can we say Full HD has become "obsolete" when its still completely the dominant resolution for media consumption. I have a 4k tv and by default most of the content I consume is in 1080p and I don't see anything "obsolete" about this resolution.

I got a 4k tv because it was on sale, I do love technology and wanted to experience the next jump. I would say I have quite a well trained eye and I honestly see the difference in resolution isn't huge unless you have a huge 60"+ TV or sit right in front of your screen. I appreciate it but I also see 1080p as a very pleasing resolution to the eye. 

Given how much pure processing power it takes to render an image natively in 4k in laymen terms we're talking 7-8tflops for PS4 quality visuals,and realistically next consoles will be 10-12Tflops, I just don't see it as a worthy investment when there are still many other improvements they can make that could make an even bigger impression than a slightly crisper image. 

For example I'd much rather see a 1440p checkboard (or even 1080p) presentation which represents witcher 3 in its original trailer, than a native 4k presentation of what the game looks like the game when it actually launch.

https://youtu.be/bX_WePhiYHE

I will agree 4k is a resource eater. I believe its more to do with the bandwidth than the Tflops. I could be wrong there.

I brought up HDR because there is very little content that is HDR that isn't 4k. Its a great compliment for high pixel counts.

The reason why I said 1080p has become obsolete is because TV brands aren't or rarely making 1080p Panels anymore. The content will always be there for 1080p however the industry is all about going forward not backwards. 1080p and 1440p is going backwards.

4k with all those effects you mention compliments them quite well, they will look absolutely amazing when viewing with a extremely sharp image.

At the start of this generation I remember everyone bashing the Xbox One for not hitting 1080p regularly, so imagine the same thing happening when next gen arrives and games aren't hitting the TV standards.

Personally (I will be hated for this) for console games, I much rather have 30frames at 4k in campaign modes and keeping the must have 60fps solely for MP. I was disappointed when 343 announced Halo 5 to be 60fps for campaign because campaigns don't really need 60fps to run and they could have done so much more with half the frames just like the original games. Majority of the time when playing single player games, its like playing out a movie, and the visual quality would be more effective than the gameplay. As for High end PCs its not an issue or using a Mouse 60fps is quite necessary.

Next Gen wont have issues running 4k as long as there sticking with current gaming engines, of course that will change sooner rather than later. This is why I think the XB1X is in a good situation even for next gen consoles, because when next gen arrives its pretty clear they will focus on 4k content as its primary selling point, and if true, that means all the X has to do is render those next gen games at 1080p which will help push next gen games on the platform so its looking pretty future proof right now.

Anyway I love my 4k TV and PC setup, I am happy running games in-between 40 to 60 frames at 4k because the clarity is just so much easier on the eyes.

Do you game on console?

Around the Network

4K is probably great, but at the same time it's a huge waste of resources. There are much better ways to use resources right now.

its way more important for VR. not that important for your typical couch gaming experience.

I'd rather have 60 fps. personally.

I never really saw a point for 4k at this time, mostly because the assets within the majority of games aren't created for 2-4k res, so having 4k resolution just means we get a sharper image, but we still see the low 1080 res textures and low LoD, which to me makes for a waste of resources.

I'm happy with gaming at 1440p 144hz, with some mods and reshade tossed in. Only time I'll bother with 4k, is when we hit 4k 60fps+ with 4k assets all around (and not just character/weapon models either), as well as the prices of tv's and monitors going down.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

John2290 said:
Yeah, for sure although I hope them going for 4k allows VR developers extra power to fill the display. Honestly couldn't give a damn about 4k, it's only a big difference for live action films. I haven't seen many games take good advantage of it besides for Horizon ZD in HDR. Give us some damn, 180p TV's with HDR already!

there is no 180p tv, and so far HDR is for 4k TV and I doubt they will ever put it on 1080p because that would more like taking out the value of their 4k set and the fact that 1080p is probably be reduced to very budget model.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network

4K is equal to 4000. That is nearly 4 times as much as 1080 and thusly nearly 4 times better. Check and mate.

JWeinCom said:
4K is equal to 4000. That is nearly 4 times as much as 1080 and thusly nearly 4 times better. Check and mate.

simple as that... it really is 4x more pixel (1920x1080=2,075Mp   and 3840x2160 = 8,3Mp)

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

but 4k is so clean and sharp... i thought it was a gimmick at first too and then i experienced it and i have to say that its amazing

then again i'm mostly on pc now anyway

I think native 4k should be a thing for less than AAA exclusives and then actual AAA use checkerboard rendering or equiv tech to still get a lot out of a 4k screen.

Otter said:
Azzanation said:

I will agree 4k is a resource eater. I believe its more to do with the bandwidth than the Tflops. I could be wrong there.

I brought up HDR because there is very little content that is HDR that isn't 4k. Its a great compliment for high pixel counts.

The reason why I said 1080p has become obsolete is because TV brands aren't or rarely making 1080p Panels anymore. The content will always be there for 1080p however the industry is all about going forward not backwards. 1080p and 1440p is going backwards.

4k with all those effects you mention compliments them quite well, they will look absolutely amazing when viewing with a extremely sharp image.

At the start of this generation I remember everyone bashing the Xbox One for not hitting 1080p regularly, so imagine the same thing happening when next gen arrives and games aren't hitting the TV standards.

Personally (I will be hated for this) for console games, I much rather have 30frames at 4k in campaign modes and keeping the must have 60fps solely for MP. I was disappointed when 343 announced Halo 5 to be 60fps for campaign because campaigns don't really need 60fps to run and they could have done so much more with half the frames just like the original games. Majority of the time when playing single player games, its like playing out a movie, and the visual quality would be more effective than the gameplay. As for High end PCs its not an issue or using a Mouse 60fps is quite necessary.

Next Gen wont have issues running 4k as long as there sticking with current gaming engines, of course that will change sooner rather than later. This is why I think the XB1X is in a good situation even for next gen consoles, because when next gen arrives its pretty clear they will focus on 4k content as its primary selling point, and if true, that means all the X has to do is render those next gen games at 1080p which will help push next gen games on the platform so its looking pretty future proof right now.

Anyway I love my 4k TV and PC setup, I am happy running games in-between 40 to 60 frames at 4k because the clarity is just so much easier on the eyes.

Do you game on console?

Mainly PC but i own Consoles and i do play on them.