By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 13): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - March 26- April 1, 2018

Ni no Kuni II had a better hold than I thought it would (thought it would drop like 90% because jprgs usually drop a lot in second week). Zelda selling more than Mario is surprising, though the difference between them is small. MHW kinda collapsing.

Around the Network

Pretty poor from SRW sadly, but at least it looks like it's a fairly cheaply-made sequel so shouldn't be a huge loss.

Farsala said:
Been waiting quite awhile for this comparison, and finally the quarter has ended. It is simply Q1 and Q4 PS4 sales in Japan.

2014- Q1 2017 from Shadow. Everything else is my attempt at the numbers.

Q1 2014: 493,338 (partial quarter; incl. 309k on launch week)

Q4 2014: 244,588

Q1 2015: 378,434

Q4 2015: 456,834

Q1 2016: 382,680

Q4 2016: 797,172

Q1 2017: 512,789

Q4 2017: 651,736

Q1 2018: 719,753

Avg Q1: 497, 398
Avg Q4: 537,582

Conclusions: FFXV and MHW created quite the monster quarters, but otherwise they are fairly equal according to the averages . Holiday boosts seem nonexistent for PS4. However with each Q1 the next Q4 was always better except for launch year. Will Q4 be bigger this year? Obviously depends on games, but it is definitely a possibility.

This is what i was trying to tell Megiddo last week in his PS4/NSW comparison.

Nintendo hardware gets a significantly stronger holiday boost than PS4 gets. Its not uncommon for Nintendo hardware to get 50% of its yearly sales just in Q4.

PS4 on the other gets a holiday boost but as you just showed its a far more mild boost and only slightly stronger than a regular quarter with the exception of 2016, but that was moreso from FFXV.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

I do not disagree. Nintendo does perform much, much better in Q4 than Sony in terms of Japanese hardware sales. I think that will be a lot of fun to be tracking week by week as it happens.

Megiddo said:

I do not disagree. Nintendo does perform much, much better in Q4 than Sony in terms of Japanese hardware sales. I think that will be a lot of fun to be tracking week by week as it happens.

Absolutely, im glad youre tracking it.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
Pretty poor from SRW sadly, but at least it looks like it's a fairly cheaply-made sequel so shouldn't be a huge loss.

that was the case with all Japanese released not named MHW. Japan is just not interested in consoles unless they get the biggest titles

they want final fantasy, they want dragon quest, they want  kingdom hearts etc. the other problem is that a lot of these games that used to be only on playstation platform are now also on PC.  so it ends up being whatever 

Japan is no longer a major region for Sony. what was the last japanese focused first party title. must been like rogue galaxy?

zorg1000 said:
Farsala said:
Been waiting quite awhile for this comparison, and finally the quarter has ended. It is simply Q1 and Q4 PS4 sales in Japan.

2014- Q1 2017 from Shadow. Everything else is my attempt at the numbers.

Q1 2014: 493,338 (partial quarter; incl. 309k on launch week)

Q4 2014: 244,588

Q1 2015: 378,434

Q4 2015: 456,834

Q1 2016: 382,680

Q4 2016: 797,172

Q1 2017: 512,789

Q4 2017: 651,736

Q1 2018: 719,753

Avg Q1: 497, 398
Avg Q4: 537,582

Conclusions: FFXV and MHW created quite the monster quarters, but otherwise they are fairly equal according to the averages . Holiday boosts seem nonexistent for PS4. However with each Q1 the next Q4 was always better except for launch year. Will Q4 be bigger this year? Obviously depends on games, but it is definitely a possibility.

This is what i was trying to tell Megiddo last week in his PS4/NSW comparison.

Nintendo hardware gets a significantly stronger holiday boost than PS4 gets. Its not uncommon for Nintendo hardware to get 50% of its yearly sales just in Q4.

PS4 on the other gets a holiday boost but as you just showed its a far more mild boost and only slightly stronger than a regular quarter with the exception of 2016, but that was moreso from FFXV.

Q4 is still trending up aside from FFXV, so there is a chance that PS4 is up YoY for 2018. Depends a lot on games, not sure there is anything big this year though. Price cut may have an effect, but Sony is shy in Japan in that respect.

Obviously Q4 should be up for Switch too.

Is MC the company that won't track online sales? How is it different from Dengeki and Famitsu?

RolStoppable said:
3DS crossed the 24m mark, its final milestone.

Switch vs. Vita makes for an interesting race to 6m units.

While this is hardly an accurate way to estimate since sales can fluctuate so much, if you take the sales this week and divide by the number of units remaining to reach 6 million, you get...

Vita: 36.63 weeks to 6 million

Switch: 45.49 weeks to 6 million

Of course, Switch sales are likely to increase more than Vita with some releases on the horizon in the next six months, so this will certainly not be even close to how long it actually takes. Vita might even get a boost from something releasing.

MasterThief said:
Kresnik said:

that was the case with all Japanese released not named MHW. Japan is just not interested in consoles unless they get the biggest titles

they want final fantasy, they want dragon quest, they want  kingdom hearts etc. the other problem is that a lot of these games that used to be only on playstation platform are now also on PC.  so it ends up being whatever 

Japan is no longer a major region for Sony. what was the last japanese focused first party title. must been like rogue galaxy?

Sooo we need more new IPs like Splatoon on consoles? Because that exploded in Japan. 

Pocky Lover Boy!