By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Where do you stand in the Kuril Islands dispute?

Kaneman! said:
mutantsushi said:

It is more accurate to say the Japanese government NOW claims that, the Japanese government, PM and Foreign Ministry at the time clearly beleived the agreement to incude renunciation of the South Kurils now in "dispute"...

Yes, I know. They're re-interpreting history to fit their agenda. Politics in a nutshell.

No doubt. A bit strange why non-Japanese mainstream media so casually ignores basic facts like that, but that goes into those media's loyalties, and the reasons why Japan was pressured to abandon the peace treaty & territorial deal in first place. Take away US pressure and I don't see why Japan wouldn't sign a deal tomorrow, so really it is not just bilateral Japan/Russia issue but re: Japan/US relationship as well.

EDIT: I guess I focus on this, because certainly one can take 'pragmatic' view of actual current (and past 70 year) control, but when "legalisms" are so often invoked in mainstream media, it seems bizarre to ignore actual legal details like this. Same can be said re: events in Ukraine/Crimea which was off-topic brought up here, although there one has Ukrainian law, Soviet law, and Russian Imperial history to consider. Of course media invoking legalisms hardly care about such details, it is simply buzzword to smear the side they oppose. 

Last edited by mutantsushi - on 03 April 2018

Around the Network

Relatedly, maybe a Russian could say why Russia keeps all Kuril islands (including non-formally disputed ones) in one province, when together they cover distance as long as Japan's entire main island (~750 mi/ 1300 km) and are mostly uninhabited except at far south and far north. Seems like north would be better off linked with Kamchatka which is shorter ferry or plane flight. Kamchatka already includes islands which are further away in Pacific. Simply a desire not to complicate negotiations with Japan? not that internal province borders per se matter for that. I assume all their Coast Guard stuff doesn't care about province borders.

CaptainExplosion said:
contestgamer said:

Why would that mean global panic? The US has military basis in a 100 countries, cant Russia have its own footprint?

Considering Russia's trigger happy attitude with nukes, no, they cannot. Much of the world has already said so, hence the Russian diplomats being kicked out.

Blatantly false.

CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Blatantly false.

Tell that to the next of kin for the MH17 victims or the people Putin's poisoned.

Show me how they're trigger happy with nukes.

CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Show me how they're trigger happy with nukes.

Look at the Cold War, and more recently, Putin touting the Satan 2 ICBM. He wants to nuke North America just because, and then he'll turn it on everyone else.

Kill him before he kills us all. Sorry for sounding like a broken record, but some people just deserve to die, and Putin's one of them.

OK, when did the Soviet Union use nukes on anyone during the Cold War?

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Never

And that right there is the answer, you can't cal them trigger happy if they never pulled the trigger.

CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Never, but they were constantly ready to do so, because they just hate the Western way of life for no reason. Don't forget their fanatical aggression towards other countries, which Putin is also bringing back.

Trump's the one that threatened to totally destroy a country (North Kore). I don't remember Putin saying something like that.

Only 20K people live there anyway...

CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

And that right there is the answer, you can't cal them trigger happy if they never pulled the trigger.

Yes I can, because they're constantly readying their nukes, and likely supplying nukes to North Korea.

Of course they ready their nukes, that's what MAD is. Also, where is your source that claims that they're supplying nukes to North Korea?

CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

Of course they ready their nukes, that's what MAD is. Also, where is your source that claims that they're supplying nukes to North Korea?

Don't need one, since Putin's close buddies with Kim Jong Un, and friends help friends.

So, you're just making things up then.