By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Where do you stand in the Kuril Islands dispute?

So, a bit a history I guess. The Kuril Islands are an archipelago that spans south of the Kamchatka Peninsula and north of Hokkaido. In 1855 the Russian Empire and Japan made an agreement that Japan would have the islands south of Urup. In 1875, in exchange for Russia having complete control of Sakhalin, Japan received the rest of the Kuril Islands. However, after the Russo-Japanese war Japan took the southern portion of Sakhalin. However, with the Soviet Union entering the Pacific front of WWII, they retook the rest of Sakhalin, along with all of the Kuril Islands (including those south of Urup).

So, that's where the dispute comes. In 1956, Japan and the Soviet Union made a joint declaration in which the Soviet Union would agree to cede Habomai and Shikotan after the signing of a Peace Treaty. However, the peace treaty never occurred, so Russia continues to have control. A main point of contention is that Japan wants the 1855 boundaries, rather than the Habomai/Shikotan solution.

As for where I stand, the fact of the matter is this: the Soviet Union, and later Russia, have had control over the islands for over 70 years, and Japan has managed to become the world's second largest economy despite that. I think that it is therefore not really necessary for them to continue to claim the islands, and it would make things much simpler for them if they were to just renounce their claims over the Kuril Islands and accept the current de facto situation. It would also help ease tensions with them and Russia and allow progress to be made on that front.

What about you guys?

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
The simplest solution would be to just ask the people who live on the islands whether they'd rather be part of Russia or Japan. They are the ones that live there and are by far the most affected, so there's no reason not to just ask them what they think.

Hmm, I thought you tried to avoid these topics?

I dont understand why these kind of disputes keep going on endlessly. You want the islands? Then take them by force. Japan should simply take it by force and dare Russia to start world war over them.

contestgamer said:
I dont understand why these kind of disputes keep going on endlessly. You want the islands? Then take them by force. Japan should simply take it by force and dare Russia to start world war over them.

I want to ask you a question but unfortunately I assume it'd be considered off-topic.

Hmm. I think I agree with your stance on this just for the sake of being pragmatic. On the other hand, I would ask the people there on what they want and examine their quality of life before making a final decision.

Around the Network
VGPolyglot said:
contestgamer said:

I want to ask you a question but unfortunately I assume it'd be considered off-topic.

Feel free to PM me.

You better hope there are no Russian or Japanese nationalists in this forum. I don't care who has them, but I don't want a war over it. I lean more towards letting Russia keep them.

Ka-pi96 said:
contestgamer said:

It wouldn't be a world war, it would be a civil war at most. There is a large anti-military sentiment in Japan and there were a lot of protests when they changed their constitution to allow them to send troops abroad to aid allies. If they were to launch an un-constitutional invasion of Russia then the government would be absolutely fucked.

And even if they were able to convince the people to support an attack on Russia (it would never happen though), then they'd be the aggressor and Russia would be the one that receives sympathy and support from around the world.

Those Islands are historically Japanese, not Russian though. They belong to Japan, they would just be taking back whats theirs.

Ka-pi96 said:
contestgamer said:

Those Islands are historically Japanese, not Russian though. They belong to Japan, they would just be taking back whats theirs.

They've been Russian since the second world war, there's a lot of historically Russian there too. Not as if that would change the minds of a pacifist population that doesn't even want an army, let alone an unprovoked attack on Russia.

Who lives on those Islands atm? What's the demographics?

contestgamer said:
Ka-pi96 said:

They've been Russian since the second world war, there's a lot of historically Russian there too. Not as if that would change the minds of a pacifist population that doesn't even want an army, let alone an unprovoked attack on Russia.

Who lives on those Islands atm? What's the demographics?

I believe mainly Japanese. If you think demographics matter, Crimea should belong to Russia. A referendum would be good but neither side will accept the result if they lose.