By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it okay to Pirate games?

Bart: Uh, say, are you guys crooks?
Fat Tony: Bart, is it wrong to steal a loaf of bread to feed your starving family?
Bart: No.
Fat Tony: Well, suppose you got a large starving family. Is it wrong to steal a truckload of bread to feed them?
Bart: Uh uh.
Fat Tony: And, what if your family don't like bread? They like... video games?
Bart: I guess that's okay.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Mr Puggsly said:

Seriously? eBay actually hurts the industry because little to none of that money actually goes back to the industry. That money primarily just supports sellers and the company eBay.

Hence, if you can buy used then you're less likely to buy something new or digitally, which actually supports the entertainment industry.

Few people other than some commies think pirating new stuff is okay, but pirating old stuff is a gray area. Especially if the old content is difficult to find in a way that actually supports the industry.

I was referring to Ebay to buy games you cannot find anymore. Ebay is great for that as you can find a game thats unavailable quite cheap that actually works. 

I went out to buy games like System Shock 2 on PC and Final Fantasy 7 on PS1 via Ebay because good luck finding those games in a Store. 

Still buying from Ebay is tons better than pirating because you are owning the legal version, a copy that actually sold in stores that earnt the company money (You would hope so anyway). 

The way your post was written implies eBay somehow helps the industry. I think we agree it really doesn't if you're buying used games.

You could have bought System Shock 2 or FF7 digitally. Your used copies did nothing for the industry.

If you can buy a game digitally and you really care about the that company, then buy digitally. Buying a used game and pirating has about the same impact on the publisher/developer, no clear impact.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

vivster said:
Everything is ok if you don't hurt someone.

You mean physically? Like physically "Pirate - steal" someone’s games?

No, it's not. Saying that, I used to download pirated games like crazy when I was younger and jobless. In my defence, most of them I played no more than 1 hour or so. If I didn't like it, i deleted it, and if did like it, I bought it. Let's say I treated them like free demos. Nevertheless, it's still illegal, regardless our opinions about it. I think last game I pirated was fallout 3, which copy I own, I just couldn't find it (it's somewhere in the attic) and I'm pretty sure in that case it's legal.

Mr Puggsly said:
Azzanation said:

I was referring to Ebay to buy games you cannot find anymore. Ebay is great for that as you can find a game thats unavailable quite cheap that actually works. 

I went out to buy games like System Shock 2 on PC and Final Fantasy 7 on PS1 via Ebay because good luck finding those games in a Store. 

Still buying from Ebay is tons better than pirating because you are owning the legal version, a copy that actually sold in stores that earnt the company money (You would hope so anyway). 

The way your post was written implies eBay somehow helps the industry. I think we agree it really doesn't if you're buying used games.

You could have bought System Shock 2 or FF7 digitally. Your used copies did nothing for the industry.

If you can buy a game digitally and you really care about the that company, then buy digitally. Buying a used game and pirating has about the same impact on the publisher/developer, no clear impact.

I would have brought digital however 1999 wasnt exactly booming for digital games.

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Mr Puggsly said:

I would have brought digital however 1999 wasnt exactly booming for digital games.

Heh, your post implies your eBay purchases were somewhat recent. Because in 1999 it should have been fairly easy to find FFVII and System Shock 2 at retail or brand new somewhere on the internet.

And again, some of us are arguing pirating old games isn't a big deal ESPECIALLY if the publisher isn't selling it. In 1999 the games you're discussing were still easy to find, whether it be online or retail.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
Azzanation said:

Heh, your post implies your eBay purchases were somewhat recent. Because in 1999 it should have been fairly easy to find FFVII and System Shock 2 at retail or brand new somewhere on the internet.

And again, some of us are arguing pirating old games isn't a big deal ESPECIALLY if the publisher isn't selling it. In 1999 the games you're discussing were still easy to find, whether it be online or retail.

I could not find FF7 anywhere in 1999.. System Shock 2 was the same story however i picked that up afew years later so probably early 2000s. Games in stores back in those days were very limited.

I now own both games digitally thanks to Steam.

tripenfall said:
Alara317 said:

I have a job. 

I do quite well and spend a large portion of my monthly income on games and movies. 

I still pirate the occasional movie. 

Why? Because sometimes I'm not willing to take that risk but am still curious enough to see how it is. Sometimes a movie isn't playing in my area and I'm not spending 50-100 dollars in gas/transportation to watch A Quiet Place or Baby Driver. 

If the movie is good, then I buy it. I own near 1000 movies on home video and upwards of 500 videogames from the past three generations. (not including download only games). 

My point is, Piracy isn't as black and white as 'get a job', and using that argument is disregarding so many points on both sides of the argument. 

Alara317 said:

I have a job. 

I do quite well and spend a large portion of my monthly income on games and movies. 

I still pirate the occasional movie. 

Why? Because sometimes I'm not willing to take that risk but am still curious enough to see how it is. Sometimes a movie isn't playing in my area and I'm not spending 50-100 dollars in gas/transportation to watch A Quiet Place or Baby Driver. 

If the movie is good, then I buy it. I own near 1000 movies on home video and upwards of 500 videogames from the past three generations. (not including download only games). 

My point is, Piracy isn't as black and white as 'get a job', and using that argument is disregarding so many points on both sides of the argument. 

I wonder what else you'd steal if you knew you wouldn't get caught?

Sorry officer I was just curious to see what driving a Ferrari was like but don't worry I support the car industry..... My Camry is out the back. 

Well if you were guaranteed to not be caught then there shouldn't be anything you wouldn't steal. That's not the real world though

SpokenTruth said:
contestgamer said:

You didnt address any point made. Here you assume everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on games, yet in another thread you're arguing that there are people in unprivileged positions that deserve a leg up.

The absolute derailment of the logic train is now complete.

Just pick a position and stick with it 

Last edited by contestgamer - on 05 April 2018

It’s never acceptable to pirate a game no matter how you try to justify your crime. At the end of the day, playing a games is not a necessity of life and you should just not play it if you don’t want to buy it. Most older games are very easy to get and sale for a low price.

The excuse of pirating old game that are not redibly available doesn’t old up anymore with steam and large digital library. If you own a hard copy and get a rom of it on computer that the only acceptable loop hole since it’s not piracy since you own the product.

We should punish publisher that try to nick and dime consumers and try to abuse gamers with micro transaction and block everything behind an unacceptable pay wall. But, there way to many people that want every for free, enjoying content without ever supporting the content creator. If every one were to pirate their content there would be no more content or quality will take a heavy hit. I’m glad to see the end of second hand sales and can’t wait for GameStop, EB games & used game store all seize to operate. They are leashes of the gaming industry that doesn’t support initial content creators.