By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it okay to Pirate games?

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Which is impossible, the only way to avoid piracy is by not making anything.

It's not impossible, just difficult. Does that mean you shouldn't even try though? Every bit less piracy that there is the better.

Well, I've never known of a time without video game piracy.

Around the Network

I'm weird in that I don't think pirating games is ok, but then I go ahead and pirate movies and TV.

Honestly piracy of DIGITAL media and information should be a human right, just like access to the internet.

Ebay.
Pirating is wrong and destroys the industry. Sure the game is old and unavailable but where would it end once you give permission to pirate older games? It will create a massive trend, next minute gamers will start pirating games based on low review scores and claim the games are not worth full price.

VGPolyglot said:
Ka-pi96 said:

It's not impossible, just difficult. Does that mean you shouldn't even try though? Every bit less piracy that there is the better.

Well, I've never known of a time without video game piracy.

Any time before 1958. 

Around the Network
contestgamer said:

I consider it a part of information freedom. You should be allowed to pay for it, but not forced.  

Information <> entertainment

No. Emulation, if you already have the game, but any other scenario I think it's unacceptable.

Last edited by Shaqazooloo0 - on 04 April 2018

contestgamer said:
SpokenTruth said:
"I'm poor but I bought a video game console."
-Pirate logic.

The console isnt a huge investment compared to the games. A forum buddy of mine built a $1000 PC that can play anything in 4k. That cost him about 700 more than a console, but he saves way more than that with games. His library is like 150 or so games now, or something ridiculous like that. He's saved thousands of dollars. Poor people can afford 200-1000, but they might not be able to afford $3000-7000 that it would cost to buy all the games they want to play. And those games dont have DRM or always online requirements, making them better quality games.

WTF?  Seriously?  You have to be a troll account.  Must be.  No other plausible reason can be made for the absurdity I just read.

Rol, is this an account of yours?

Massimus - "Trump already has democrat support."

Get a job

tripenfall said:
Get a job

I have a job. 

I do quite well and spend a large portion of my monthly income on games and movies. 

I still pirate the occasional movie. 

Why? Because sometimes I'm not willing to take that risk but am still curious enough to see how it is. Sometimes a movie isn't playing in my area and I'm not spending 50-100 dollars in gas/transportation to watch A Quiet Place or Baby Driver. 

If the movie is good, then I buy it. I own near 1000 movies on home video and upwards of 500 videogames from the past three generations. (not including download only games). 

My point is, Piracy isn't as black and white as 'get a job', and using that argument is disregarding so many points on both sides of the argument.