By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it okay to Pirate games?

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's a "crime" despite the fact that it presents no danger to anyone. And if we're going more philosophical over this I'm going to need to come up with a detailed response that is going to venture fairly deeply into the realm of politics.

What of games that flop, despite plenty of filthy pirates illegally playing it, forcing small indie devs to go bankrupt? What of their families when they no longer have a livelihood? What of their sick children when they can no longer afford treatment for them?

They weren't going to buy it anyway there's no evidence of piracy leading to significant losses

Around the Network

No.

It is stealing, theft, robbery, etc.

You find value in the product.
You find entertainment in the product.
You should contribute to the creation of new product and pay for the product.

If you cannot afford it, then
1. save money
2. sell stuff
3. use a rental service
4. find a friend to legally share it via their login or physical copy
5. buy used
6. learn something so you can get a better job and increase your overall quality of life

I would not like it if someone stole my work. Therefore I don't steal other's work. People put their sweat and tears into these games. Pay for them.

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's a "crime" despite the fact that it presents no danger to anyone. And if we're going more philosophical over this I'm going to need to come up with a detailed response that is going to venture fairly deeply into the realm of politics.

What of games that flop, despite plenty of filthy pirates illegally playing it, forcing small indie devs to go bankrupt? What of their families when they no longer have a livelihood? What of their sick children when they can no longer afford treatment for them?

That's how capitalism works, the majority of companies go bankrupt. So, if you're against that then you should be criticizing capitalism in general, where only a small number of businesses in any division can last long.

Ka-pi96 said:
contestgamer said:

They weren't going to buy it anyway there's no evidence of piracy leading to significant losses

There's no evidence that they weren't going to buy it anyway. And the reason why video game piracy hasn't lead to significant losses is because steps have been taken to prevent it from spreading and to reduce it where possible.

The DS was heavily pirated and made huge profits. Same for Wikipedia. Same for the PC games industry. There's also been a lot of studies that indicate pirates aren't lost sales, they weren't buyers to begin with. 

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Do you think that stealing is bad, no matter the circumstance?

Difficult question. Legalling speaking it is, and absolutely should be. Morally though I'd say there's a bit of a grey area when it comes to things needed to survive. As I said earlier in the thread I still don't think it's justifiable, but I do think it's understandable. People still shouldn't do it, and there should still be punishment for those that do, but there should also be sympathy and some degree of leniency depending on the circumstances.

The only time it is justifiable is when you are doing so within the confines of the law.

I.E. In my country for instance... It is perfectly legal to make duplicate copies of all your media.

Many games that are classed as "Abandon-ware" may also be legal to duplicate depending on your region.

Otherwise, there is no excuse for blatant piracy, being poor isn't an excuse, not having the games available also isn't an excuse, you aren't entitled to the media.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Around the Network
superchunk said:
No.

It is stealing, theft, robbery, etc.

You find value in the product.
You find entertainment in the product.
You should contribute to the creation of new product and pay for the product.

If you cannot afford it, then
1. save money
2. sell stuff
3. use a rental service
4. find a friend to legally share it via their login or physical copy
5. buy used
6. learn something so you can get a better job and increase your overall quality of life

I would not like it if someone stole my work. Therefore I don't steal other's work. People put their sweat and tears into these games. Pay for them.

Used sales and borrowing from friends doesn't help the developer. Might as well add piracy to your list then.

Pemalite said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Difficult question. Legalling speaking it is, and absolutely should be. Morally though I'd say there's a bit of a grey area when it comes to things needed to survive. As I said earlier in the thread I still don't think it's justifiable, but I do think it's understandable. People still shouldn't do it, and there should still be punishment for those that do, but there should also be sympathy and some degree of leniency depending on the circumstances.

The only time it is justifiable is when you are doing so within the confines of the law.

I.E. In my country for instance... It is perfectly legal to make duplicate copies of all your media.

Many games that are classed as "Abandon-ware" may also be legal to duplicate depending on your region.

Otherwise, there is no excuse for blatant piracy, being poor isn't an excuse, not having the games available also isn't an excuse, you aren't entitled to the media.

I consider it a part of information freedom. You should be allowed to pay for it, but not forced.  

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's how capitalism works, the majority of companies go bankrupt. So, if you're against that then you should be criticizing capitalism in general, where only a small number of businesses in any division can last long.

I'm not against companies going bankrupt because of capitalism. If they have bad ideas or can't manage their money well then hard cheese to them. I am against companies going bankrupt because people who want their products steal them instead of pay for them as they should though.

And how are you supposed to determine if that's the reason why a company went bankrupt?

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

And how are you supposed to determine if that's the reason why a company went bankrupt?

It's easy to determine if it wasn't. Prevent theft and then that definitely won't be the reason for it happening.

It's easy to determine if it wasn't piracy, yes, but it's harder to determine if it was piracy.

Ka-pi96 said:
VGPolyglot said:

It's easy to determine if it wasn't piracy, yes, but it's harder to determine if it was piracy.

You wouldn't need to determine whether it was or wasn't if you prevent piracy from being an option in the first place though...

Which is impossible, the only way to avoid piracy is by not making anything.