By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Is it okay to Pirate games?

SpokenTruth said:
contestgamer said:

The console isnt a huge investment compared to the games. A forum buddy of mine built a $1000 PC that can play anything in 4k. That cost him about 700 more than a console, but he saves way more than that with games. His library is like 150 or so games now, or something ridiculous like that. He's saved thousands of dollars. Poor people can afford 200-1000, but they might not be able to afford $3000-7000 that it would cost to buy all the games they want to play. And those games dont have DRM or always online requirements, making them better quality games.

WTF?  Seriously?  You have to be a troll account.  Must be.  No other plausible reason can be made for the absurdity I just read.

Rol, is this an account of yours?

You didnt address any point made. Here you assume everyone has thousands of dollars to spend on games, yet in another thread you're arguing that there are people in unprivileged positions that deserve a leg up.

Around the Network
osed125 said:

Contrary to what some people think, piracy can do some good. I know it because it happened to me.

I came from a low-middle class family, the only way I could really play game was thanks to piracy; I saved a ton of money to buy the console and 90% of my games were pirated (some were original).

But thanks to that I played so many great games that I otherwise would to have not played, and now that I'm an adult with a good income, I can buy them no problem.

Just to give a few examples:
1- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, played pirated on the Wii; bought Awakening and Fates on the 3DS
2- Bioshock 1 and 2, pirated on PC; bought Infinite on PC when it came out
3- Monster Hunter Tri, pirated on the Wii; bought Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS and recently World on PS4
4- 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, emulated on DS; bought Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma on 3DS
5- Mass Effect 1 and 2, pirated on PC; bought Mass Effect 3 on PC

These are honestly just a few and the ones that immediately come to mind.

So to answer the OP question, yes I do think is okay to pirate games; maybe not everyone is like me and they continue to pirate, but I firmly believe piracy can work with some people.

That is BS reasoning.

Why did you play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn or Monster Hunter Tri, or others in the first place? Because you were interested in them. You didn't accidently pirate them. You had an interest and went about your way to find a way to pirate them.

Your EXCUSE makes more sense if instead of pirating, a friend borrowed you some games he liked that you had never heard of. After playing them, you were a fan of the series then and later purchased games. But pirating, shows awareness of said game and doing the work to illegally pirate said game. Call a spade a spade. You were a thief back then.

If you were interested in Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, but never got ot play it, why would you not be interested in Monster Hunter World when you do have a chance ot play it.

WhenI was younge,r I was too poor to go to baseball games. I can now afford it, so I do. I didn't lose interest all of sudden cause I was never able to go before.

irstupid said:
osed125 said:

Contrary to what some people think, piracy can do some good. I know it because it happened to me.

I came from a low-middle class family, the only way I could really play game was thanks to piracy; I saved a ton of money to buy the console and 90% of my games were pirated (some were original).

But thanks to that I played so many great games that I otherwise would to have not played, and now that I'm an adult with a good income, I can buy them no problem.

1- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn, played pirated on the Wii; bought Awakening and Fates on the 3DS
3- Monster Hunter Tri, pirated on the Wii; bought Monster Hunter 4 on the 3DS and recently World on PS4
4- 9 hours 9 persons 9 doors, emulated on DS; bought Virtue's Last Reward and Zero Time Dilemma on 3DS

So to answer the OP question, yes I do think is okay to pirate games; maybe not everyone is like me and they continue to pirate, but I firmly believe piracy can work with some people.

That is BS reasoning.

Why did you play Fire Emblem Radiant Dawn or Monster Hunter Tri, or others in the first place? Because you were interested in them. You didn't accidently pirate them. You had an interest and went about your way to find a way to pirate them.

Your EXCUSE makes more sense if instead of pirating, a friend borrowed you some games he liked that you had never heard of. After playing them, you were a fan of the series then and later purchased games. But pirating, shows awareness of said game and doing the work to illegally pirate said game. Call a spade a spade. You were a thief back then.

If you were interested in Monster Hunter Tri on the Wii, but never got ot play it, why would you not be interested in Monster Hunter World when you do have a chance ot play it.

WhenI was younge,r I was too poor to go to baseball games. I can now afford it, so I do. I didn't lose interest all of sudden cause I was never able to go before.

Hows the view from way up high? Have you ever jay walked? Did you you turn yourself in? 

irstupid said:
osed125 said:

That is BS reasoning.

Actually I didn't have any interest; they were so cheap (I bought at a place that sold 3 games for around $2) that I bought tons of games at once.

Never really looked into many of the games I bought; out of the list I mentioned, only 999 falls into your reasoning of interest, the rest were just 'screw it, is so cheap I might as well get them'.

I did play a lot of garbage thanks to that, but a lot of gems as well. 

I'm not saying that I would have never become interested in those games, however as an adult that has to pay bills I can't just buy everything that I'm interested in, nor do I have the time. What those days did for me (and in return the developers) is warranty a buy, I loved them so much and still do that I almost immediately bought all the sequels.

No matter what people say, I have absolutely no regrets of my piracy time; the memories of those great games (that I'm able to support now) are some of the bests I have.

Nintendo and PC gamer

JRPGfan said:
Mr Puggsly said:
Pirating new games is obviously the worst.

Does anybody really care about old games being pirated that the publisher isnt selling? If a game is no longer being sold by the publisher or is being exploited like virtual console, I feel that form of piracy isnt a big deal.

Thats another thing.
 you wanted to play some old SNES game or N64 game, but you couldnt get them on the pc/ps4/3ds/switch.... and no publisher is selling it.

If thats the case the piracy of that game, isnt costing anyone anything.
Those times I think its perfectly "fine" morally to do so as well.

There is some validity to that, having to buy a console just to play old games is a nuisance. Sometimes piracy isn't just a financial issue, its just so much easier and has more features when emulating on PC/mobile device versus a console.

I also hate how Nintendo handles Virtual Console. I mean every new device requires a game to be purchased again. Its exploitive compared to how some competitors handle digital content.

Not all piracy is equal and that's why some piracy is ignored.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Around the Network
Azzanation said:
Ebay.
Pirating is wrong and destroys the industry. Sure the game is old and unavailable but where would it end once you give permission to pirate older games? It will create a massive trend, next minute gamers will start pirating games based on low review scores and claim the games are not worth full price.

Seriously? eBay actually hurts the industry because little to none of that money actually goes back to the industry. That money primarily just supports sellers and the company eBay.

Hence, if you can buy used then you're less likely to buy something new or digitally, which actually supports the entertainment industry.

Few people other than some commies think pirating new stuff is okay, but pirating old stuff is a gray area. Especially if the old content is difficult to find in a way that actually supports the industry.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Not okay but when you live in poorer countries, game costs 5x more because of the exchange rate so you have no choice sometimes :(((

Alara317 said:
tripenfall said:
Get a job

I have a job. 

I do quite well and spend a large portion of my monthly income on games and movies. 

I still pirate the occasional movie. 

Why? Because sometimes I'm not willing to take that risk but am still curious enough to see how it is. Sometimes a movie isn't playing in my area and I'm not spending 50-100 dollars in gas/transportation to watch A Quiet Place or Baby Driver. 

If the movie is good, then I buy it. I own near 1000 movies on home video and upwards of 500 videogames from the past three generations. (not including download only games). 

My point is, Piracy isn't as black and white as 'get a job', and using that argument is disregarding so many points on both sides of the argument. 

Alara317 said:
tripenfall said:
Get a job

I have a job. 

I do quite well and spend a large portion of my monthly income on games and movies. 

I still pirate the occasional movie. 

Why? Because sometimes I'm not willing to take that risk but am still curious enough to see how it is. Sometimes a movie isn't playing in my area and I'm not spending 50-100 dollars in gas/transportation to watch A Quiet Place or Baby Driver. 

If the movie is good, then I buy it. I own near 1000 movies on home video and upwards of 500 videogames from the past three generations. (not including download only games). 

My point is, Piracy isn't as black and white as 'get a job', and using that argument is disregarding so many points on both sides of the argument. 

I wonder what else you'd steal if you knew you wouldn't get caught?

Sorry officer I was just curious to see what driving a Ferrari was like but don't worry I support the car industry..... My Camry is out the back. 

shikamaru317 said:

I am 100% against current generation piracy, though I'm ok with pirating older games to play on emulators.

exactly... and playing current generation on an emulator is not possible for now;)

Mr Puggsly said:
Azzanation said:
Ebay.
Pirating is wrong and destroys the industry. Sure the game is old and unavailable but where would it end once you give permission to pirate older games? It will create a massive trend, next minute gamers will start pirating games based on low review scores and claim the games are not worth full price.

Seriously? eBay actually hurts the industry because little to none of that money actually goes back to the industry. That money primarily just supports sellers and the company eBay.

Hence, if you can buy used then you're less likely to buy something new or digitally, which actually supports the entertainment industry.

Few people other than some commies think pirating new stuff is okay, but pirating old stuff is a gray area. Especially if the old content is difficult to find in a way that actually supports the industry.

I was referring to Ebay to buy games you cannot find anymore. Ebay is great for that as you can find a game thats unavailable quite cheap that actually works. 

I went out to buy games like System Shock 2 on PC and Final Fantasy 7 on PS1 via Ebay because good luck finding those games in a Store. 

Still buying from Ebay is tons better than pirating because you are owning the legal version, a copy that actually sold in stores that earnt the company money (You would hope so anyway).