By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 12): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - March 19-25, 2018

I thought that Valkyria 4 launched at the same time on Switch :/ also I was expecting a better opening for Ninokuni 2, let´s see it´s legs :)
Zelda at almost 1M :D <3<3<3<3<3<3

Around the Network

Damn, Nintendo has no chill in Japan. Too bad for Ni No Kuni II... Japan just didn't take to it for some reason.

Alkibiádēs said:
Level-5 should come back to Nintendo. That's where the real money lies for them.

Pretty much, I hope most Japanese developers get the memo real soon here. 

Im just surprised that Hokuto is still charting. Ni No Kuni 2 did about par for the course, but Valkyria Chronicles 4 has me worried, hoping it has some legs or the Switch version makes up for lost ground.

"I think it will be the HDS"-Me in regards to Nintendo's next handheld.

SpokenTruth said:
Platina said:
How did Hyrule Warriors do on Wii U? Numbers seem really low

Media Create has it at 69k.  But keep in mind that this is now the 3rd time the game has been released.

Yeah I’m not expecting this to be a million seller (WW) even though it’s a good game.

Around the Network

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Japanese Sales Tracker (Single SKUs): UPDATE!!

1. (NES) The Legend of Zelda - 1,690,000
2. (NES) Zelda II: The Adventure of Link - 1,610,000
3. (N64) The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - 1,450,000
4. (SNES) The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past - 1,115,000
5. (DS) The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass - 950,000
6. (NS) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild* - 929, 617 (+11, 116)

*Without Digital

Ni no Kuni II did waaaaaaay better than I expected, nice to see. I wonder why the COMG pre-orders were so low.

OTBWY said:
Good hold for Kirby. Monster Hunter is down down down. Good hold also for Switch hardware. 50k would be good to go on weekly.

To use a popular game from Japan as an example. Do you know how much Splatoon 2 sold 2 months after it's release in Japan? 26k. How much did Monster Hunter World sell after 2 months in Japan? 13k. Wow, such an amazing difference!

Do you want to know how much Monster Hunter World sold first week in Japan? 1.3 Million. How much did Splatoon 2 sell? In the 600k. Even if we include week 2 of Splatoon 2's sales, Splatoon 2 only sold about 750k for two weeks. That is a massive difference.

Games that come out with stronger upfront sales tend to have "worse" legs than games that rely on a gradual increase in buyers.

Also if you're going to do anything to try and salvage this post, it's probably going to be "but but but Splatoon 2 was on a new console that needed to build an install base." Yes. That is my point. They are different games, and required different things. Monster Hunter World got more upfront sales in Japan, doesn't mean these legs are bad. They are pretty decent considering how much sales it got it's first few weeks. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 28 March 2018

Mar1217 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

To use a popular game from Japan as an example. Do you know how much Splatoon 2 sold 2 months after it's release in Japan? 26k. How much did Monster Hunter World sell after 2 months in Japan? 13k. Wow, such an amazing difference!

Do you want to know how much Monster Hunter World sold first week in Japan? 1.3 Million. How much did Splatoon 2 sell? In the 600k. Even if we include week 2 of Splatoon 2's sales, Splatoon 2 only sold about 750k for two weeks. That is a massive difference.

Games that come out with stronger upfront sales tend to have "worse" legs than games that rely on a gradual increase in buyers.

Also if you're going to do anything to try and salvage this post, it's probably going to be "but but but Splatoon 2 was on a new console that needed to build an install base." Yes. That is my point. They are different games, and required different things. Monster Hunter World got more upfront sales in Japan, doesn't mean these legs are bad. They are pretty decent considering how much sales it got it's first few weeks. 

I mean, games that still induce some content like the next expansion of Splatoon 2 means bigger legs to come. Also, Pokémon games usually have pretty great upfront  sales but can still keep up with good legs.

I don't remember that being the case for games like MH though. It always looked more upfront in terms of sales than other franchises.

There is really no argument here. Someone wrote an ignorant comment and they got called out for it. Also, I don't care if you call it "content expansions" or "building on a platform" - both are valid reasons why Splatoon 2 has better legs and prove my point. For the record though, Splatoon 2 will probably end up with as much sales if not more than Monster Hunter. So my point isn't to belittle that game. 

That being said it will be interesting once Monster Hunter World starts getting large updates if it will have better legs. 

Last edited by AngryLittleAlchemist - on 28 March 2018

Mar1217 said:

Did they announce such things to come ? Usually, we always get monthly update with new quests, challenges, gears and stuff. But the only expansion we could talk about is the re-release of the game with G Rank Quests.

Monster Hunter World Ultimate should come next year.

I'm going to guess they are going to make expansions. Either as a free way of getting more sales, or for allowing people who don't want to repurchase the game to buy content without rebuying the game.