By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 12): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - March 19-25, 2018

pastro243 said:
Ljink96 said:

Dude, come on. I never said because it's cel shaded it's similar. Quit putting words in my mouth, please. Dragon Quest IX IS A LEVEL 5 GAME. 

Please see here: http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Level-5 

I made a Dragon Quest fan game, I think I know mostly everything about the series. Please make sure to check your facts next time. 

Yes, Ni No Kuni on DS and PS3 weren't the same graphically...but they follow the same plot line. If it was based on graphics, the PS3 version should have outsold it. Doesn't matter how far apart. The Switch version of Dragonball Xenoverse 2 outsold the PS version...and those were released apart from each other. Not fair, come on dude. 

And again, no we're not saying it's a failure and switch would save it, we're saying Switch has Japan by the balls and will soon surpass the PS4 with ease and will have a greater install base to sell software to consumers. That's what we're saying. We have Japanese developers blaming themselves for writing off the Switch before it released and scrambling to support it. Those who supported it early on, namely Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco, which saw great returns on software. 

Well, ps3 version came later. Oh, and ps3 version outsold the DS one anyway, and we all know most sales for this game will come from the west. 

As much as FIFA or DB Xenenoverse, beating it in japan wouldn't make much of a difference and still being on switch wouldn't mean that they would get "all of the money" like they do with Yokai Watch, Ni no Kuni wouldn't be massive no matter which console it was released on 

No...not in Japan. This is a Japan Sales forum...last time I checked. We were debating Japanese sales.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

There is really no argument here. Someone wrote an ignorant comment and they got called out for it. Also, I don't care if you call it "content expansions" or "building on a platform" - both are valid reasons why Splatoon 2 has better legs and prove my point. For the record though, Splatoon 2 will probably end up with much more sales than Monster Hunter. So my point isn't to belittle that game. 

That being said it will be interesting once Monster Hunter World starts getting large updates if it will have better legs. 

I had to fix that... couldn't resist.

:thinking: They will probably come close to tying worldwide at the end of the day. 

LipeJJ said:

I had to fix that... couldn't resist.

:thinking: They will probably come close to tying worldwide at the end of the day. 

I agree, but I was mainly talking about Japan. 

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Ljink96 said:

And again, no we're not saying it's a failure and switch would save it, we're saying Switch has Japan by the balls and will soon surpass the PS4 with ease and will have a greater install base to sell software to consumers. That's what we're saying. We have Japanese developers blaming themselves for writing off the Switch before it released and scrambling to support it. Those who supported it early on, namely Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco, which saw great returns on software. 

Easy for you to say when the game's target release date got delayed twice and it was well into mass production ... 

You seem rather concerned that Level-5's first release had to be Ni No Kuni II for the Switch but why that game specifically instead of The Snack World or Inazuma Elven Ares when Level-5 never released a title yet for the Switch prior to Ni No Kuni II ? 

At best what the Switch deserves are late ports in this stage of it's life and at worst it doesn't deserve the game because cutting into a developer's schedule isn't acceptable since they have better things to do than to just do ports of their games ... 

LipeJJ said:

Actually, I think it's kind of funny how confident you are when Splatoon shipped less than 5 million in 5 months and Monster Hunter World shipped 7.5 million in a little over five weeks. I guess it will depend on how good Splatoon 2's sales are. It does have very good sales, so I won't make a guess as to what the gap might be worldwide. In Japan I feel like it's pretty obvioius Splatoon 2 will sell more, but then again MHW is having shortages supposedly.

Around the Network
LipeJJ said:

Actually, I think it's kind of funny how confident you are when Splatoon shipped less than 5 million in 5 months and Monster Hunter World shipped 7.5 million in a little over five weeks.

You do realize Switch install base was under 5 million when Splatoon 2 released vs ~110 million for PS4+XBO when Monster Hunter World released, right?

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Ljink96 said:
pastro243 said:

Well, ps3 version came later. Oh, and ps3 version outsold the DS one anyway, and we all know most sales for this game will come from the west. 

As much as FIFA or DB Xenenoverse, beating it in japan wouldn't make much of a difference and still being on switch wouldn't mean that they would get "all of the money" like they do with Yokai Watch, Ni no Kuni wouldn't be massive no matter which console it was released on 

No...not in Japan. This is a Japan Sales forum...last time I checked. We were debating Japanese sales.

Just saying game developing choices have to be made with that in consideration. My point is that people are looking too much into these numbers when we all know they aren't as relevant in the big scheme and besides that, are in order with numbers from it's predecessor

(I also think a NS version could help numbers a lot but that could be said for almost any exclusive)  

fatslob-:O said:
Ljink96 said:

Easy for you to say when the game's target release date got delayed twice and it was well into mass production ... 

You seem rather concerned that Level-5's first release had to be Ni No Kuni II for the Switch but why that game specifically instead of The Snack World or Inazuma Elven Ares when Level-5 never released a title yet for the Switch prior to Ni No Kuni II ? 

At best what the Switch deserves are late ports in this stage of it's life and at worst it doesn't deserve the game because cutting into a developer's schedule isn't acceptable since they have better things to do than to just do ports of their games ... 

What are you talking about? I'm not concerned about Level 5's first release on Switch. Again, never said that. Is this some running gag to put words in my mouth? All I said is that Level 5 should put Switch on the radar for all future releases to stay strong and grow in Japan. Switch is where software is thriving in Japan, it'd be silly to ignore it for much longer. 

I even acknowledged the fact that NNK 2 was being developed before Switch was even thought of. My issue is not with NNK 2. It's with the complacency of Japanese 3rd parties on Switch as a whole. It will get better. A gaming company's first and foremost goal is to make profit off of software, Switch is the best place in Japan to do so. Well, besides mobile. 

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 28 March 2018

zorg1000 said:

Actually, I think it's kind of funny how confident you are when Splatoon shipped less than 5 million in 5 months and Monster Hunter World shipped 7.5 million in a little over five weeks.

You do realize Switch install base was under 5 million when Splatoon 2 released vs ~110 million for PS4+XBO when Monster Hunter World released, right?

Yes, I do realize that. As does anyone. It is just kind of funny how far we have come, we went from Splatoon 1 which was looking like it would be a moderate success at best, to where we are now. And a ton of people thought World would end up being a flop or at best a moderate success. Now look where it's at. All I merely meant was that it is funny that he was so confident in Splatoon winning, as most normal people would choose the game with the cards stacked in it's favor. Any game other than Splatoon, would be ridiculous. But the prediction is reasonable given how good the legs of Splatoon are. 

You don't have to be on the offensive, Zorg. Not everything is a war  

Ljink96 said:

What are you talking about? I'm not concerned about Level 5's first release on Switch. Again, never said that. Is this some running gag to put words in my mouth? All I said is that Level 5 should put Switch on the radar for all future releases to stay strong and grow in Japan. Switch is where software is thriving in Japan, it'd be silly to ignore it for much longer. 

I even acknowledged the fact that NNK 2 was being developed before Switch was even thought of. My issue is not with NNK 2. It's with the complacency of Japanese 3rd parties on Switch as a whole. It will get better. A gaming company's first and foremost goal is to make profit off of software, Switch is the best place in Japan to do so. Well, besides mobile. 

Well I hope that you're content that Level-5 will be starting with the release of The Snack World (this April) and Inazuma Eleven Ares (later in this year) for the Switch instead of NNK 2 ... 

Last edited by fatslob-:O - on 28 March 2018