By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Japan sales (Week 12): Media Create/Famitsu/Dengeki - March 19-25, 2018

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
zorg1000 said:

You do realize Switch install base was under 5 million when Splatoon 2 released vs ~110 million for PS4+XBO when Monster Hunter World released, right?

All I merely meant was that it is funny that he was so confident in Splatoon winning, as most normal people would choose the game with the cards stacked in it's favor. Any game other than Splatoon, would be ridiculous. But the prediction is reasonable given how good the legs of Splatoon are. 

You don't have to be on the offensive, Zorg. Not everything is a war  

I know what your point was and i wasnt arguing against it, i was pointing out how ~5m in 5 months vs 7.5m in 5 weeks is a pointless comparison because its 1 console thats less than a year with a small userbase bs 2 consoles that are over 4 years old with a massive combined userbase.

Heres a little tip, when somebody singles out a specific part of your post, it means they have no issue with the parts that were ignored.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network
zorg1000 said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

All I merely meant was that it is funny that he was so confident in Splatoon winning, as most normal people would choose the game with the cards stacked in it's favor. Any game other than Splatoon, would be ridiculous. But the prediction is reasonable given how good the legs of Splatoon are. 

You don't have to be on the offensive, Zorg. Not everything is a war  

I know what your point was and i wasnt arguing against it, i was pointing out how ~5m in 5 months vs 7.5m in 5 weeks is a pointless comparison because its 1 console thats less than a year with a small userbase bs 2 consoles that are over 4 years old with a massive combined userbase.

Heres a little tip, when somebody singles out a specific part of your post, it means they have no issue with the parts that were ignored.

I don't need the tip. I already addressed what you were addressing. So your tip is pointless. See : All I merely meant was that it is funny that he was so confident in Splatoon winning, as most normal people would choose the game with the cards stacked in it's favor. Any game other than Splatoon, would be ridiculous. But the prediction is reasonable given how good the legs of Splatoon are. 

The point was that even if the comparison was pointless, most people would go for the game with the biggest numbers. That is why it's funny. So apparently the point wasn't clear to you, but that was what I meant.

But saying the comparison is pointless is going a little far, anyways. Really, Splatoon 2 would probably have been around 5 million shipped in a similar time frame even later in the Switch's life. It might have shipped a million more because Nintendo would feel confident due to the bigger install base, but we are talking sold-through anyways, in which case Splatoon 2's sell through is probably pretty accurate right now to what it would be even if it came out later in the systems life. I only used shipped numbers because that's all the concrete data we have. 

fatslob-:O said:
Ljink96 said:

What are you talking about? I'm not concerned about Level 5's first release on Switch. Again, never said that. Is this some running gag to put words in my mouth? All I said is that Level 5 should put Switch on the radar for all future releases to stay strong and grow in Japan. Switch is where software is thriving in Japan, it'd be silly to ignore it for much longer. 

I even acknowledged the fact that NNK 2 was being developed before Switch was even thought of. My issue is not with NNK 2. It's with the complacency of Japanese 3rd parties on Switch as a whole. It will get better. A gaming company's first and foremost goal is to make profit off of software, Switch is the best place in Japan to do so. Well, besides mobile. 

Well I hope that you're content that level-5 will be starting with the release of The Snack World (this April) and Inazuma Eleven Ares (later in this year) for the Switch instead of NNK 2 ... 

Yes, that's fine. Gotta start somewhere. 

Ljink96 said:
outlawauron said:

Just because the game is cell-shaded doesn't make it similar to their other works. It doesn't have the merchandise to push it to mainstream (as every popular L5 property has anime and manga as primary gateways into the games), so I don't see why you'd compare to the previous games. Inazuma Eleven and Yokai Watch were absolutely developed as kid's games. Complete with anime in Saturday morning timeslots lol. DQIX isn't a L5 game, so I'm not sure why you're bringing that up. 

As for Ni no Kuni 1, the DS and PS3 version weren't the same game and released far apart from each other. That's not a fair comparison at all. It'd be like saying that Switch fanbase doesn't support RPGs/DQ whenever DQ11 inevitably sells less than the PS4 version.

As for bolded, that's not the way it really comes across. It says, "this game is a failure and Switch would have saved it from failure. Super 3rd party developers."

Why is that? Has there been an RPG where the Switch version has sold better than the PS4 version? I know the Switch version has outdone the Vita version a couple times.

Dude, come on. I never said because it's cel shaded it's similar. Quit putting words in my mouth, please. Dragon Quest IX IS A LEVEL 5 GAME. 

Please see here: http://dragonquest.wikia.com/wiki/Level-5 

I made a Dragon Quest fan game, I think I know mostly everything about the series. Please make sure to check your facts next time. 

Yes, Ni No Kuni on DS and PS3 weren't the same graphically...but they follow the same plot line. If it was based on graphics, the PS3 version should have outsold it. Doesn't matter how far apart. The Switch version of Dragonball Xenoverse 2 outsold the PS version...and those were released apart from each other. Not fair, come on dude. 

And again, no we're not saying it's a failure and switch would save it, we're saying Switch has Japan by the balls and will soon surpass the PS4 with ease and will have a greater install base to sell software to consumers. That's what we're saying. We have Japanese developers blaming themselves for writing off the Switch before it released and scrambling to support it. Those who supported it early on, namely Koei Tecmo and Bandai Namco, which saw great returns on software. 

The cell shaded comment was sarcastic, because it really doesn't share much in common with other Level 5 IP.

I'm well aware that Level 5 was commissioned to make Dragon Quest 9 (as they were DQ8). They did the grunt work while Square retained creative and managerial control and oversaw the project (would anyone really argue the game would have been different if they had stuck with any other competent JRPG dev?). I'm also very aware about your DQ fan project, I bookmarked the page and have it downloaded on my PC. :-/ None of that changes that Dragon Quest is not a Level 5 game, it's owned by Square Enix. When I said a "Level 5" game, I'm referring to games like Layton, White Knight Chronicles, Inazuma Eleven, and Ni no Kuni where they actually own the IP. Not games like Dark Cloud, Dragon Quest, and Rogue Galaxy which they do not own or have control over.

For the differences on Ni no Kuni, they just play completely differently. The DS version is a turn based RPG much closer to DQ where you needed to manually cast spells using the stylus. The PS3 version is an action RPG. I didn't intend to say they had a separate plotline. 

For these smaller games in Japan, the size of console userbase isn't nearly as important as if the fanbase of your franchise is on the platform. While I certainly hope and believe that you'll see a lot of budget or B-tier games that were PS4/V continue on as PS4/NSW, that doesn't mean you'll see the fanbase completely migrate to the platform. From the games that have come out from KT and Bandai, most of them are just declining outside of major successes like Xenoverse 2 and Disgaea 5 in the West.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

SpokenTruth said:
Platina said:
How did Hyrule Warriors do on Wii U? Numbers seem really low

Media Create has it at 69k.  But keep in mind that this is now the 3rd time the game has been released.

Ah right, I keep forgetting that Hyrule Warriors for 3DS is a thing :p

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network

I find this X1X vs X1S ratio really interesting.  Makes me really curious about how would be the ratio Worldwide..

Famitsu
<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Model Sales Last week Last year YTD Last YTD LTD
Switch 51,563 47,841 79,493 629,986 524,371 4,037,144
PS4 19,175 19,845 30,479 621,022 489,125 6,544,228.00
3DS 13,011 11,100 51,289 213,384 630,203 23,951,928
Vita 4,494 4,563 7,529 65,567 190,058 5,709,193
Xbo 155 142 85 5,269 3,701 92,861
WiiU 46 54 383 929 15,404 3,302,484

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->

Model Sales Last week Last year YTD Last YTD LTD
PS4 Slim 13,006 12,438 24,847 538,791 496,207 5,880,710
PS4 Pro 6,169 7,407 5,632 148,574 90,394 663,518
2DSLL 7,634 6,439   136,792   724,343
n2DS 558 445 9,392 9,331 161,884 572,021
n3DS 4,819 4,216 41,897 67,261 468,319 5,735,287
XboS 84 95 71 1,121 2,929 14,408
XBoX 71 47   4,148   6,451

Alkibiádēs said:
Level-5 should come back to Nintendo. That's where the real money lies for them.

Not with smaller IPs.

Splatoon will be a 15 million + LTD seller WW

Can’t say that about MHW. It’s already in the discount bin in the US similar to FF15.

Moderated - think-man

Last edited by think-man - on 29 March 2018

BlackBeauty said:
Splatoon will be a 15 million + LTD seller WW

Can’t say that about MHW. It’s already in the discount bin in the US similar to FF15.

Two very different, but both very wrong statements.