By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The downside of Cross-play with PC : Sea Of Thieves already has hacks

Should Console users have a cross play on / off option?

Yes 23 79.31%

No 1 3.45%

What? crossplay rules, ju... 5 17.24%

Total:29

I don't think that's really a cross play issue. I've come up against hackers in The Division on PS4 before so they're on consoles too. I know the PS3 COD/GTA games are pretty infamous for hackers too.

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Cross play Is probably one of my favorite features. Been playing Fortnite, RL with my PC friends the last few months and it's been a blast. Love the feature. Haven't seen any hackers yet in Sea of Thieves. Rare will probably find a way to ban them.

Oh can you make cross platform parties between ps4 and PC for fortnight? My kids play it on my laptop sometimes, or together on two ps4's. All 3 of us could play together if that is the case.

Btw kinda funny that the whole argument against enhancements for the pro consoles for multiplayer games are bad goes right out the window with cross play. Must be the same fps, draw distance, or unfair! Crossplay, you could be playing against someone with 144fps zero latency monitor, KB+mouse, 8K triple screen setup, contrast enhancement injection etc.

In my case it's reversed though, Fortnight stutters and lags a ton on my laptop. It's hard to aim for a landing spot, bit better on the ground, yet 15 to 20 fps is about it. My kids don't seem to mind. Must look for the settings sometime.

Cheaters exist on every platform and you shouldn’t stop natural progression because of a couple of bad apples :)

vivster said:
Rocket League. Released 2016. Had crossplay since launch. Had an option to turn off crossplay since launch. Developed by 12 people. Still played by millions of people 2.5 years after launch. No hacks.

Damn PC people destroying games!

I don't think anyone (even the OP) mentioned anything about PC people destroying games.

But it is a downside of cross-play for sure. Which is the exact reason why I use the option to disable it whenever it is present. Which is exactly the point of the OP, PC people (the ones hacking and cheating) ruining the cross-play, not the game...

And it is true in a sense, I would love to play with PC people (I mainly play on my PC anyway, so I guess I consider myself as a 'PC People') from my Xbox One but knowing about the hacks and cheats makes me not want to.

It always takes a few people out there to spoil something fun, but it takes even fewer out there to take another smaller crowd and blowing them up to being something gigantic.

Yes some people will cheat, I've dealt with cheaters last gen on 360 and about 3 on PC (since 2012), but that doesn't mean we should suddenly halt the advancement of crossplay. What we need are far, far harsher punishments for this kind of cheating. Hardly anyone who cheats feels devastated when they are banned, because a good chunk of the time, they'll just make a new account and be on their way back into the game again.

Around the Network
Ka-pi96 said:
I don't think that's really a cross play issue. I've come up against hackers in The Division on PS4 before so they're on consoles too. I know the PS3 COD/GTA games are pretty infamous for hackers too.

How would they even hack those games on the PS4?

John2290 said:
I don't think cross play should be a thing at all, I'm buying a system for the closed ecosystem and security and the community that brings. If I wanted to play with Live or steam players I'd buy an Xbox or hop on steam. Thankfully Sony understand this.

You must really hate Sony based on your first two sentences, seeing how they been hacked the worse out of the three and they allow crossplay for various games.

John2290 said:
Acevil said:

You must really hate Sony based on your first two sentences, seeing how they been hacked the worse out of the three and they allow crossplay for various games.

They hold back on cross play, thank god. At the very least they are conservative with the competition, I don't want Live users on my PSN games. I'd assume most PSN players who PAY FOR THE SERVICE don't want the same. Cross play is a ridiculous attempt by MS to get a stake in their failing market share the same way they tried to mirror Sony's mic drop with sharing games at E3 with Backwards compatibility and failed. I pay for PSN, not Live. 

Don't buy into the console wars, having cross play has many more benefits to us than downsides.

Lawlight said:
Ka-pi96 said:

How would they even hack those games on the PS4?

I'm not the one that hacked them, so I don't know. People aren't supposed to be invincible on The Division though so there was definite hacks somewhere.

John2290 said:
VGPolyglot said:

Don't buy into the console wars, having cross play has many more benefits to us than downsides.

I'm not so sure, nothing to do with console wars. I'm far to old to be concerned with nonsense like that. I am however a tad frugal and want my money to go to the best possible service. PSN, is a closed system and holds has quality assurance, I wouldn't pay for it otherwise. I've played on live, I've played on steam and the only service that comes close to a private discord is PSN. And as I said before I don't want to have to pay to compete with K&M players or users with mods and hacks so freely available.

What does PSN offer that XBL and Steam don't?