By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The downside of Cross-play with PC : Sea Of Thieves already has hacks

Should Console users have a cross play on / off option?

Yes 23 79.31%

No 1 3.45%

What? crossplay rules, ju... 5 17.24%

Total:29
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
It sounds like PC gamers have found a way to get the most out of their hard earned money.

Yup.

Last edited by caffeinade - on 25 March 2018

Around the Network

If it's anything like Forza Horizon 3 crossplay, it can be easily turned off in the settings menu. Could be wrong since i'm yet to play SoT.

Rocket League. Released 2016. Had crossplay since launch. Had an option to turn off crossplay since launch. Developed by 12 people. Still played by millions of people 2.5 years after launch. No hacks.

Damn PC people destroying games!

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

JRPGfan said:

https://www.windowscentral.com/sea-thieves-already-has-hackers-offering-compelling-case-against-cross-play

"I won't link to nor advertise this particular hack (thanks to those who tipped), but this program allows a cheating player to exploit Sea of Thieves' UWP client to auto-aim for player's heads, see chests, and other objects through walls, and perform other game-breaking feats of Godmodehood.

Naturally, all hacking players will eventually get banned from Xbox Live, losing all of their licenses and potentially access to their Microsoft Account in the process. But that isn't much comfort to those who have had their fun spoiled, particularly when one of the selling points of console play, at least for me, is a pure, hacker-free experience."

"As hard as Microsoft seems to want to push for cross-play between Xbox One and PlayStation, the idea of cross-play between Xbox and PC is mired in pretty compelling counter arguments. PC players can turn and aim faster using a mouse, PC players also don't have to pay for Xbox Live, and thus, console players are effectively subsidising the service for PC players who want to jump in to Xbox Live. If none of these arguments are compelling enough, the biggest one of all, for me, is security. Opening up Xbox to forced, compulsory cross-play potentially subjects Xbox gamers, used to a tailored, polished experience, to the flood gates of hackers the likes of which exploit PC titles with impunity."

"I already know that Microsoft is constantly working to eliminate hackers from its services and systems, and even if they're better than most developers and publishers at doing so. PUBG also recently updated its anti cheat systems. However, that doesn't mean that these games will be completely immune to exploitation.

By no means am I suggesting Sea of Thieves' has a pervasive hacker problem... yet, but the potential is definitely there. At least in PUBG, the PC and console versions are separated, and in Gears of War 4, competitive cross-play is optional. In a world where security can't be guaranteed, forcing cross-play on Xbox gamers just seems like a big ask.

Co-operative PC / Xbox cross-play is great. Competitive cross-play is too, but due to some people's inability to play fair, compulsory competitive cross-play isn't."

Bullshit!

if you play coop its a very nice option and nobody plays xbox vs.pc in a shooter or something

Cross play should never be the default, it should always be an option which you opt in to.

I find it hilarious that people are now acting like this is a MS and Nintendo exclusive thing. Sony have had cross play since the PS2. There are dozens of games that currently allow PS4 and PC Cross Play.

Regaurdless of which console I use I will never turn on Cross Play, and if they don't allow it to be disabled I will not be playing. I have a PlayStation 4 Pro for playing on PSN, I have a XBO X for playing on XBL, and I have a Switch for playing in Nintendos ecosystem.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network
jason1637 said:
Cross play Is probably one of my favorite features. Been playing Fortnite, RL with my PC friends the last few months and it's been a blast. Love the feature. Haven't seen any hackers yet in Sea of Thieves. Rare will probably find a way to ban them.

Oh can you make cross platform parties between ps4 and PC for fortnight? My kids play it on my laptop sometimes, or together on two ps4's. All 3 of us could play together if that is the case.

Btw kinda funny that the whole argument against enhancements for the pro consoles for multiplayer games are bad goes right out the window with cross play. Must be the same fps, draw distance, or unfair! Crossplay, you could be playing against someone with 144fps zero latency monitor, KB+mouse, 8K triple screen setup, contrast enhancement injection etc.

In my case it's reversed though, Fortnight stutters and lags a ton on my laptop. It's hard to aim for a landing spot, bit better on the ground, yet 15 to 20 fps is about it. My kids don't seem to mind. Must look for the settings sometime.

Cheaters exist on every platform and you shouldn’t stop natural progression because of a couple of bad apples :)

vivster said:
Rocket League. Released 2016. Had crossplay since launch. Had an option to turn off crossplay since launch. Developed by 12 people. Still played by millions of people 2.5 years after launch. No hacks.

Damn PC people destroying games!

I don't think anyone (even the OP) mentioned anything about PC people destroying games.

But it is a downside of cross-play for sure. Which is the exact reason why I use the option to disable it whenever it is present. Which is exactly the point of the OP, PC people (the ones hacking and cheating) ruining the cross-play, not the game...

And it is true in a sense, I would love to play with PC people (I mainly play on my PC anyway, so I guess I consider myself as a 'PC People') from my Xbox One but knowing about the hacks and cheats makes me not want to.

It always takes a few people out there to spoil something fun, but it takes even fewer out there to take another smaller crowd and blowing them up to being something gigantic.

Yes some people will cheat, I've dealt with cheaters last gen on 360 and about 3 on PC (since 2012), but that doesn't mean we should suddenly halt the advancement of crossplay. What we need are far, far harsher punishments for this kind of cheating. Hardly anyone who cheats feels devastated when they are banned, because a good chunk of the time, they'll just make a new account and be on their way back into the game again.

Step right up come on in, feel the buzz in your veins, I'm like an chemical electrical right into your brain and I'm the one who killed the Radio, soon you'll all see

So pay up motherfuckers you belong to "V"

Ka-pi96 said:
I don't think that's really a cross play issue. I've come up against hackers in The Division on PS4 before so they're on consoles too. I know the PS3 COD/GTA games are pretty infamous for hackers too.

How would they even hack those games on the PS4?