By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CDPR reveals Witcher 3 platform split and physical/digital split.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
flashfire926 said:

But except it doesnt work like that. 

Lets take a look at this made up scenario. Witcher 3 had 90% of its lifetime sales in 2015, with the remaining 10% in 2016.

Lets say the split was 75% ps4 and 25% pc in 2015, while in 2016 was 10% ps4 and 90% pc. The way you would calculate it,  PC would have 57.5% of sales, and PS4 would have 42.5%. 

But that would be wrong. In reality, PS4 would have 68.5% of sales, and PC would have 31.5%. Since the gap in 2015 in terms of units sold was way in favor of PS4, and the 2016 gap between PC and PS4 is much smaller in terms of units sold, because it had very little sales in 2016 when compared to 2015. When the amounts for each year are different, just adding up the percentages and dividing doesnt work because the amounts each year arent equal.

In this scenario, percentage doesnt tell the whole story, since the gap in units sold between ps4 and pc is much smaller in 2016, even though the percentages are heavily in favor of PC, because 2016 only counted for a small fraction.

Did you miss the part in my comment where I literally already said this? 

"Averaging DOES work for the yearly ratio of sales, it just doesn't work for how many sales there are."

What do you think I meant by that honey? I already said it so that you wouldn't have to write a long reply restating what I've already said. 

What would be the point to even mention such useless statistics, anyway? It's like those people who took the number of counties in the US elections to give Romney or McCain some sort of victory by numbers over Obama.

Anyway, you probably didn't even realize at first that you screwed up your math, admit it, you were just trying to save face on the second post.

Same with the jolly fellow, by the way, who somehow read it as a victory for digital sales, when the graphs themselves made it very obvious that the first year was much bigger than the others.



 

 

 

 

 

Around the Network
JRPGfan said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wow, so on average per year the PC version accounts for 41.3% of sales, and the PS4 version accounts for 41.6% of sales. So much for PC just being free to play microtransaction games.

I think the overall total % matters more.

This game has clearly sold like this PS4 > PC > XB1.
PS4 user base is the biggest for this game by a good margin.

Yeah that's true, and I didn't meant to say otherwise. The comment was just to show that the game has really good sales on PC. Although, including GOG, I think the margin would probably be a little smaller than it seems. But still a big margin. 

haxxiy said:

What would be the point to even mention such useless statistics, anyway? It's like those people who took the number of counties in the US elections to give Romney or McCain some sort of victory by numbers over Obama.

Anyway, you probably didn't even realize at first that you screwed up your math, admit it, you were just trying to save face on the second post.

Same with the jolly fellow, by the way, who somehow read it as a victory for digital sales, when the graphs themselves made it very obvious that the first year was much bigger than the others.

My math wasn't wrong. Flashfire's response was pretty much "Your average calculations were wrong because they aren't an accurate way of depicting X variable", when in actuality I wasn't even talking about the game's total sales, but rather how much of the game's sales are from one platform per year. Again, the math isn't wrong, Flashfire just kept using the word wrong because we were talking about totally different things. He basically just said I was wrong because he thought I was using year on year statistics as a sign of total sales, which I wasn't.

You are trying REALLY hard to make this seem like my comment  is some troll post that's wrong, when it isn't. I just explained to Flash that I wasn't even talking about total sales. I cleared it up so he stopped replying. It's that simple. You really don't have to keep pushing it. 

Also I would say that the amount of sales one platform takes up per year is pretty important. Not as important as total sales, but I never made that claim. 



Link to the VGChartz Discord server: https://discord.gg/2uMTaYtv

jason1637 said:
Errorist76 said:

So what benefits does it give you? Besides from missing out on the extra content and not physically owning the game?

Can play a game at midnight when it comes out. Also with a mostly digital library I can play a game while another is downloading while if I was only physical I'd have to wait for that game to finish downloading to play my other physical games. Also with digital I can share games with my family and we can play the same game the same time with 1 digital purchase.

Why wait until midnight the day it comes out? You just need to find a retailer that consistently breaks street date for pre-orders, then physical versions allow you to play a day or two before it comes out. Shopto are a great retailer for that in the UK, I haven't pre-ordered a game in a long time but every single time I've got one from them it's been before release date. I even got Halo MCC 3 days before release, that doesn't happen with digital



Even accounting for differnt install base sizes, it seems this title is more popular on PS4's than XB1's.
Is that because its more popular in europe (witcher 3)? or just PS4 users enjoy RPGs more than XB1 users?



JRPGfan said:

Even accounting for differnt install base sizes, it seems this title is more popular on PS4's than XB1's.
Is that because its more popular in europe (witcher 3)? or just PS4 users enjoy RPGs more than XB1 users?

Install base and most RPGs that isn't made by Bethesda do way better on Playstation. 



Around the Network

 

JRPGfan said:

Even accounting for differnt install base sizes, it seems this title is more popular on PS4's than XB1's.
Is that because its more popular in europe (witcher 3)? or just PS4 users enjoy RPGs more than XB1 users?

It's the first one for sure. XB1 doesn't really exist in mainland Europe.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

haxxiy said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:

Did you miss the part in my comment where I literally already said this? 

"Averaging DOES work for the yearly ratio of sales, it just doesn't work for how many sales there are."

What do you think I meant by that honey? I already said it so that you wouldn't have to write a long reply restating what I've already said. 

What would be the point to even mention such useless statistics, anyway? It's like those people who took the number of counties in the US elections to give Romney or McCain some sort of victory by numbers over Obama.

Anyway, you probably didn't even realize at first that you screwed up your math, admit it, you were just trying to save face on the second post.

Same with the jolly fellow, by the way, who somehow read it as a victory for digital sales, when the graphs themselves made it very obvious that the first year was much bigger than the others.

Digital will win in the end, and its inevitable. It's only a matter of time.



Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

flashfire926 said:
Errorist76 said:

I get the family sharing aspect. I mostly buy my PS4 games digital for the same reason. I still don’t understand why you’d care about how other people buy it. It doesn’t make any difference to you, does it?

I want GameStop, after seeing all the shit they pulled off on their employees, to die out.

Also, the only reason digital doesn't have more discounts and cheaper prices than physical is because the console makers/publisher don't want to piss off the physical stores, cause they might stop stocking your product, delivering a huge blow to your sales (a lot of European retailers stopped stocking X1 because of this)

Once the bubble pops, physical starts becoming obsolete, we will have steam-like prices in digital.

I’d really like to know how you come to that assumption. Why would it if there are no competing stores, like there are on PC? Wishful thinking  and unlikely imho.



AngryLittleAlchemist said:
VGPolyglot said:

I thought that was a stereotype of mobile games, rather than PC games.

That stereotype exists for PC games, you just have to find the bottom of the barrel users on here to prove that. 

Yes , that's why The Withcer 3 sell a lot , thanks to PC full of free to play games , that make people decide to but at least one real games once in a life times. 



JRPGfan said:
AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wow, so on average per year the PC version accounts for 41.3% of sales, and the PS4 version accounts for 41.6% of sales. So much for PC just being free to play microtransaction games.

I think the overall total % matters more.

This game has clearly sold like this PS4 > PC > XB1.
PS4 user base is the biggest for this game.

Long tail sale wise?. because 2017 is telling a different story and trend now.