By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - CDPR reveals Witcher 3 platform split and physical/digital split.

Was expecting pc to wipe the floor on this one, given it's am IP usually associated with PC.

Around the Network
flashfire926 said:
This graph also tells us that Witcher 3 had higher sales in 2017 than in 2016 .Kudos.

Basically down to huge digital sales. Like 12 Dollars for the complete edition.

AngryLittleAlchemist said:
Wow, so on average per year the PC version accounts for 41.3% of sales, and the PS4 version accounts for 41.6% of sales. So much for PC just being free to play microtransaction games.

I thought that was a stereotype of mobile games, rather than PC games.

flashfire926 said:
Wow, so on average per year the PC version accounts for 41.3% of sales, and the PS4 version accounts for 41.6% of sales. So much for PC just being free to play microtransaction games.

For averaging to work, all three years need to have to have the exact same sales. It doesnt work when the years are different.

For example, PC's 50% in 2017 is way smaller than PS4's 48% in 2015. We cant tell the average for sure until they give ratios to compare the years or give us sales numbers for each individual year.

If you stack up all the blue together, versus stacking up all the grey, the blue is ahead by a considerable margin.

Not really. Averaging DOES work for the yearly ratio of sales, it just doesn't work for how many sales there are. 

On Steam the game has 4.8 million sales. On PS4 it should have about 6.54. But The Witcher 3 is heavily advertised on GOG, a store owned by CD Projekt Red. So I wouldn't be surprised if the difference between sales was only a million, maybe even less.

VGPolyglot said:

I thought that was a stereotype of mobile games, rather than PC games.

That stereotype exists for PC games, you just have to find the bottom of the barrel users on here to prove that. 

Around the Network

not surprised the first two were not on PS3 so the franchise is completely not popular on the platform.

Very interesting.

MasterThief said:
not surprised the first two were not on PS3 so the franchise is completely not popular on the plat

Are we seeing the same graph?.  It sold way more on ps4 than xb1 and you can argue it outsold the pc version or at least at the same level.  

Errorist76 said:
jason1637 said:
So glad to see digital out doing physical.

Why?! Main reason for this is deals anyway plus lack of early bonuses which came with the retail game.

Regardless...it might be understandable, but why would anyone be happy about such a development?

Because I like digital better.

Ka-pi96 said:
jason1637 said:
So glad to see digital out doing physical.

Did it though? 2015 sales were likely much higher than 2016/2017, so that 71% in 2015 may well be enough that overall physical sales are still higher than digital.

Why would you be glad about people spending more money for the same game though?

I'm glad that digital sales are above physical In 2018.