By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Washington Post: Is your spin class too young, too thin and too white?

How do you feel about your spin class?

Yes 0 0%

No 4 40.00%

The meaning of peace is t... 6 60.00%

Total:10
CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's up to you to figure out.

Well it's very annoying and totally derailed the thread.

And by complaining about it long after it's passed, you're really bringing the thread back on track.

Around the Network

Gotta love those who just bitch about a situation. Then, the publications that are all to happy to convey their message as if there is any validity in it.

If you really want to do something, how about you take the risk to purchase/rent your own studio, then you can advertise it how you want and price the classes how you want. More than likely, you'll discover once you can't pay the rent/taxes, you have to jack up the prices. Then, when your studio isn't filled with whatever color you prefer to be in it, you'll start advertising to appeal to another crowd.

Freaking SJWs just need to enter the real world, instead of trying to mercilessly bend it to their image, trying to take down all those who stand in their way.

thismeintiel said:
Gotta love those who just bitch about a situation. Then, the publications that are all to happy to convey their message as if there is any validity in it.

If you really want to do something, how about you take the risk to purchase/rent your own studio, then you can advertise it how you want and price the classes how you want. More than likely, you'll discover once you can't pay the rent/taxes, you have to jack up the prices. Then, when your studio isn't filled with whatever color you prefer to be in it, you'll start advertising to appeal to another crowd.

Freaking SJWs just need to enter the real world, instead of trying to mercilessly bend it to their image, trying to take down all those who stand in their way.

In the very first paragraph, the writer talks about becoming a teacher and later speaks about how she started her own company, and it also talks about another African American/Hispanic woman who owns a studio, sooooo.....?

VGPolyglot said:
o_O.Q said:

you don't have to give your opinion in a case like this where the proposition is inherently ludicrous and, therefore, the conclusion is fairly obvious

Well, the forum rules seem to indicate that they prefer people not just posting news, they want people to give their input.

lol, that's about as SJW as you can get. Combing the forum rules for a reason to attack someone posting an article that you disagree with. Fits a pattern of your other postings.

contestgamer said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, the forum rules seem to indicate that they prefer people not just posting news, they want people to give their input.

lol, that's about as SJW as you can get. Combing the forum rules for a reason to attack someone posting an article that you disagree with. Fits a pattern of your other postings.

Ah nice, I see a new challenger has approached me.

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
VGPolyglot said:

That's up to you to figure out.

Well it's very annoying and totally derailed the thread.

No you derailed the thread by complaining about a post being racist. Why did you feel the need to do that? Virtue signalling?

The fact that she feels uncomfortable in all white workout studios is racist in itself. Imagine a thin, white woman complaining how she's the only thin, white woman in an all black studio? People wouldnt take kindly to it. We're all just PEOPLE, it shouldnt matter what they look like or who they like. 

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said: 

"the point is that the culture around these courses are dominated by a specific in-group"

like people that are fit and active or have being fit and active as their endgoal? wouldn't that be expected?

Like people who do not fit within that specific in-group, which does include those who are fit and extends beyond that. The article spells that out pretty clearly.

And would it be expected for an exercise program to cater primarily to people who are already fit? I don't think so. I mean, I don't know where you live, but around me, the gym advertisements I always hear emphasize how the environment isn't just for fitness buffs in order to create an environment where everybody feels comfortable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l324lEp9x-8

This only is a problem for people that need to see others of their own size, race, gender, age and orientation to feel comfortable. Racists, ageists,   and a bunch of other -ists that want their environment to resemble themselves. 

sundin13 said:
thismeintiel said:

In the very first paragraph, the writer talks about becoming a teacher and later speaks about how she started her own company, and it also talks about another African American/Hispanic woman who owns a studio, sooooo.....?

Then what the hell is the point of complaining about it, if they did do something?  It really only reveals their own racism.

contestgamer said:

The fact that she feels uncomfortable in all white workout studios is racist in itself. Imagine a thin, white woman complaining how she's the only thin, white woman in an all black studio? People wouldnt take kindly to it. We're all just PEOPLE, it shouldnt matter what they look like or who they like. 

Exactly.

sundin13 said:
o_O.Q said:

"So do you believe that blackness impairs an individual in the same way a missing leg does?"

its not about impairment, its about categorisation and marketing to a particular category

an example with race would be for example that i wouldn't market hair straightening products to white women but i would do so for black women

"As for the "endgoal" statements, it seems that you sort of pulled that out of nowhere as a bit of a catchall."

well if you don't understand that this is the end goal of marketing then we can't have much of a discussion

the purpose of marketing is to demonstrate how a product can put a person in a position where they have solved some problem they have

in this case i'm assuming its the need for exercise and recreation

"The whole point is that the "messaging" doesn't show people who aren't already fit."

yes which was my point

"Again, unless you think the only people who have "being fit" as their endgoal are already fit"

""or have being fit and active as their endgoal?""

"a substantial portion of that demographic isn't adequately represented"

so if i understand you correctly you expect them to use unfit people in marketing for fitness classes?

Unless your argument is that black people don't belong at a spin class like a no-footed person doesn't belong at a shoe store, there is no reason to go down this path. The argument was never that it is bad that out-groups exist, the argument is about the particulars of these in-groups. 

Also, if you think white women don't use hair straighteners, you are very wrong.

And yes, I do expect them to use unfit people in their marketing if they are trying to market to unfit people. Planet Fitness built a very successful business out of doing just that. Otherwise, you run the risk of creating a specific in-group of attractive, fit young people and making unfit people feel as if they aren't welcome, which (surprise) is what the article is about, so this line of thinking shouldn't come as a surprise.

"Unless your argument is that black people don't belong at a spin class like a no-footed person doesn't belong at a shoe store, there is no reason to go down this path. "

where are you pulling this nonsense from about racism against black people?

"Also, if you think white women don't use hair straighteners"

obviously not anywhere near to the same degree that black women do, can you guess why?

and which group would it make sense to market the product to?

" I do expect them to use unfit people in their marketing if they are trying to market to unfit people."

um question for you why do we see the opposite in 100% of advertising for fitness programs? here's a hint we covered it already - advertising is mean't to convey what the product will do for you not the initial condition

what is common across all of these ads?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTEDDmCjd1k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xU52XbJYd3E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zvqNHDTf8Y

"Planet Fitness built a very successful business out of doing just that."

really? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdccUsn8N4Y

where are the unfit people in these ads?

you could make the argument that these ads are about ridiculing people who take fitness too seriously... but that's not the same as your argument

"Otherwise, you run the risk of creating a specific in-group of attractive, fit young people and making unfit people feel as if they aren't welcome"

and yet every fitness program for decades now has done just that and as far as i know its a successful industry

"which (surprise) is what the article is about, so this line of thinking shouldn't come as a surprise."

the article is delusional nonsense