By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Should console-exclusive sites be allowed on metacritic?

Should console-exclusive sites be allowed on Metacritic?

Yes 31 63.27%

No 18 36.73%

Total:49
LuccaCardoso1 said:

There are a lot of console-exclusive sites on Metacritic, and they generally give way higher scores than the average for exclusive games. I've been noticing this for a while, but now I have some proof to show. Here are the three highest scores for Sea of Thieves:

Omg it's so evident 

But my answer is yes, I think everyone's opinions are valid.

Around the Network
Masked_Muchaco said:
Xbox Tavern gave this game a 73, Push Square gave The Inpatient a 5 and Nintendo Life gave Kirby: Star Allies just a 7, to give a few examples. They are biased? Yes, but they're not just a bunch of blind fanboys.

What do you mean "just a 7"? 

The game is at 73 metascore to begin with.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

There are also a lot of Nintendo-centric sure and a lot of PlayStation-centric sites.

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

If it happens to all platforms than no. Majority of review sites are bias. If anything most reviewers have there own taste and bias genres. For example an RPG lover will always rate RPGs higher than some one that doesnt like RPGs. Is that bias?

If those Xbox sites gave SoTs 10s i will agree but they havnt and those scores are quite justifiable.

It doesn't really matter because the gaming media makes their money by advertising games to consumers. Alot of them are pseudo gamers like Anita. Any review done by an actual gamer is likely to be biased. Alot of games just get extra points for being a new entry of an IP.

Around the Network

I don't see why it matters. Assuming the OP's premise is correct (and, I don't know that it is), who is negatively affected by platform-exclusive sites giving favorable reviews to platform-exclusive games? At most, you're talking about 1 or 2 points bump to the metascore.

Hiku said:
Azzanation said:

If those Xbox sites gave SoTs 10s i will agree but they havnt and those scores are quite justifiable.

If I'm a reviewer and I want to jack up the score by 20 or so above the average, you'd never question it as long as I'm not conspicuous (dumb) enough to give it a perfect 100?

I'm not suggesting that's necessarily what happened here, but I wouldn't expect any reviewer who wants to be taken at least somewhat seriously to adopt user review tactics of giving things 0's or 10's, unless it's very obvious why.

Iv been seeing this type of stuff all though the PS2 era. Its a common thing. Even is they weren't exclusive console review sites, you will still get bias opinions based on what the reviewer prefers. Honestly the gaming industry review system sucks anyways. 7s and 8s are considered bad to average games while gamers will only want 9s and 10s to be happy. 

Nothing like the movie industry unfortunately. 

One of the best reviewers I love watching is Angry Joe, his honest and he bashes even my favourite games however he gives good explanations to why they got that score and to him a 5 is an average game not an 8. That's how it should be. This day and age if a game isn't a 90meta its not considered worthy. 

Also most times they don't make much of a difference to the final score, you might see a couple points higher or lower than usual once all the reviews are in. 

yes. if for no other reason then because if they aren’t allowed, sites that are “not console exclusive” could still have biases towards certain consoles and rate their games higher. and then should we ban those reviewers too?

aggregate scores are not much more than hype when it comes down to it. it’s up to us gamers to tell the difference between objectivity and subjectivity in the evaluation of games. only we know what games we’ll like best in the end.

Hiku said:

Yes.
If that helps people realize that they should read the reviews rather than look at an aggregate score, then that's a positive thing imo.

Most people don't read anymore. They just watch videos and look at numbers, unfortunately.

B O I

Aeolus451 said:
It doesn't really matter because the gaming media makes their money by advertising games to consumers. Alot of them are pseudo gamers like Anita. Any review done by an actual gamer is likely to be biased. Alot of games just get extra points for being a new entry of an IP.

Sorry, but who's Anita? The only Anitta I can think of is this one:

B O I