By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Xi Jinping Wants War

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

Maybe Xi is a nice dictator. Stop judging people you have never met.

NICE dictator? There's no such thing.

Hey! I'd be a lovely dictator.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

Around the Network
CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

Until now, you mean.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

The US voted a bill supporting Taiwan. China defends as usual the same "Only one China" principle, so for them other countries should deal with Beijing, not Taiwan. So China answers by saying "Don't mess with our business".

That's it. No Cold War, no intention of invading other countries (especially not Canada...). Just "Take care of your own business".

No reason yet for it to go too far, and the only people who could worry about this are Taiwanese.

poklane said: 
Taiwan should just declare independence already. Them still claiming mainland China (and other territories as well) is just ridiculous, the civil war ended 68 years ago, it's time to let it go.

This possibility is the main reason for China's speech (US support could lead to that). It would be the worst possible thing in this situation, and China could possibly invade Taiwan quickly. It's not about Taiwan thinking that they own mainland China, it's about mainland China being convinced that they own Taiwan. I hope Taiwan won't try anything too crazy, the Korean situation got better lately, it would be great not to get a Taiwan incident now...

CaptainExplosion said:
vivster said:

Sure, the term dictablanda was something I just made up... Oh wait... 

Birimbau said:

He just wants to invade Taiwan and take them by force, killing dozens of thousands in the process, and make sure the rest of the world will close their eyes and pretend nothing is happening.

And Russia has shown with Crimea that annexation is damn worth it. A small and brief recession from the economic sanctions was the only price Putin paid for it. It will pay itself off rather quickly, that's a very good investiment: now imagine that for Taiwan. Not that it is anything new, Turkey and Indonesia both have rolled over foreign land multiple times in the past and annexed them despite the protests of the Western countries.

But it's something more likely to happen now as the economic hegemony of the West is eroded: from close to 80% of the economic output of the world in the mid 90's to less than 40% in the next decade. That's unless all of the remaining countries quickly "westernize" their politics, so to speak, but the opposite seems more likely to happen nowadays with Trump etc.

Around the Network
haxxiy said:
Birimbau said:

He just wants to invade Taiwan and take them by force, killing dozens of thousands in the process, and make sure the rest of the world will close their eyes and pretend nothing is happening.

And Russia has shown with Crimea that annexation is damn worth it. A small and brief recession from the economic sanctions was the only price Putin paid for it. It will pay itself off rather quickly, that's a very good investiment: now imagine that for Taiwan. Not that it is anything new, Turkey and Indonesia both have rolled over foreign land multiple times in the past and annexed them despite the protests of the Western countries.

But it's something more likely to happen now as the economic hegemony of the West is eroded: from close to 80% of the economic output of the world in the mid 90's to less than 40% in the next decade. That's unless all of the remaining countries quickly "westernize" their politics, so to speak, but the opposite seems more likely to happen nowadays with Trump etc.

95%+ of Crimea people wanted to be part of Russia again, there would be civil war over there if they remained as part of Ukraine. On the other hand, 95%+ of Taiwan people prefer death over to be one with mainland under CCP.

Last edited by Birimbau - on 21 March 2018

Hiro94 said:
JC317 said:
As a Hong Kong citizen, I really do believe that Hong Kong is a part of China. Hong Kong and Macau are Special Administrative Regions of China, meaning they are definitely part of China. We might use our own political system, currency, education and all that, but that's just part of being an SAR, and China will obey the principle of One Country Two Systems for at least another 20 something years. On that note I have a bit of a rant about Hong Kong's political landscape.

I am sick and tired of the pro-independence movement and Democrats in Hong Kong. Thanks to them any development in Hong Kong is stalled as their members often walk out of legislative council meetings. We had a chance to pass legislation on voting for our chief executive a few years back, guess who were the ones who blocked it? That's right, the Democrats, on reasons that what they had was not progressive enough. Seriously?! Just take things one step at a time! I would have no problem with those people if they are really pro-Hong Kong, but to me it feels more like they are anti-China, and they would destroy Hong Kong if it means they can hurt China. Rant over.

Of course, that doesn't mean I am pleased with how China handles Hong Kong. Right now, China probably views Hong Kong as a problem child, and thus most of its policy's just glance over Hong Kong. As more and more Chinese are coming down to Hong Kong, it feels like we are being slowly assimilated into China. And really that's what I'm more afraid of: losing our cultural identity. And if China ever tries to change Hong Kong into just another generic Chinese city? I would definitely be among the ones who would protest against that. But right now Hong Kong is already falling behind in development thanks to reasons I mentioned above, and if we don't change soon Hong Kong will lose its place as an international city.

And Macau? China has no problem with that place. After botching up the handover of Hong Kong, they learned a lot for the handover of Macau. Political parties in Macau are pretty unified and there is practically no call for independence in Macau, which is why China didn't address Macau in their statement.

Hey man I found your response very informative since you are from Hong Kong. In the USA i have no respect for modern democrats because of their repressive culture they have developed in their party by trying to scream down and silence anyone who disagrees with them. I always had a level of respect for Hong Kong Democrats because they bill themselves as battling communism.  Its crazy to know they  blocked voting for your own chief executive.  if the Democrats laid off the screeching in HK  do you think  You guys would progress more in your fight against China's rule?

If they put action behind their words? Definitely. (and no, by action I don't mean organizing protests every other weekend)

However, without them we wouldn't even have a fight for political freedom in Hong Kong, so I have to say that they are necessary to Hong Kong being Hong Kong, but I believe they should kick out members that are too radical. I don't want independence for Hong Kong, but I would want Hong Kong to maintain its own system.

Nobody wants war except who manufactures weapons, if they are contained then war will remain in certain places, he Chinese president feels more like a merchant than a politician

miqdadi said:
Nobody wants war except who manufactures weapons, if they are contained then war will remain in certain places, he Chinese president feels more like a merchant than a politician

$1.686 trillion - Worldwide

It's a considerable market.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

miqdadi said:

I guess there are also some people who just want to see the world burn.