By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves - Metacritic/Review thread - Metascore: XBO - 69 (69 reviews) PC - 68 (23 reviews)

We got some juicy reviews

IGN - 7/10

As it stands at launch, it’s genuinely good fun with friends, but progressing to Pirate Legend is a long grind. Sea of Thieves needs a lot more briny depth before it’s the amazing voyage we’d hoped for, but so far the great cooperative moments are a good start.

Gamespot - 6/10

For now, it's a somewhat hollow game that can be fun for a handful of hours when played with friends, and something worth trying out if you happen to be an Xbox Game Pass subscriber. Even though it's hard to wholeheartedly recommend, I like enough of what I see to hold out hope that things will eventually improve as the game continues to be patched and updated with new content.

Around the Network

I'm pretty interested in what Rare has planned for the "pirate legends" that complete the 200h+ 50/50/50 grind

a streamer (SniperNamedG) is at 49/46/40 right now, so we'll know in a few days

iceland said:
back to 70 for now thanks to xbox biased sites

TrueAchievements - 80

Xbox Achievements - 70

How is an 7 and 8 bias on a game getting anything from 6s to 8s?

Azzanation said:
iceland said:
back to 70 for now thanks to xbox biased sites

TrueAchievements - 80

Xbox Achievements - 70

How is an 7 and 8 bias on a game getting anything from 6s to 8s?

I think that was a more satirical post, essentially making fun of certain fanboys on this site that desperately want SoT and anything MS to fail.

Up to 47 reviews now, with a new score.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

Around the Network

So at the moment it is reviewed as well as Knack II ;), which was pretty good in my opinion. I think 70 score would be fair for Sea of Thieves.

pitzy272 said:
KiigelHeart said:

What a load of bullshit, honestly :P 

I don't think you can experience everything the game has to offer in 5 hours no way. After 5 hours you're probably doing those easy starter quests, learning to sail your ship, enjoying the sea, making contact with other crews and visiting a couple of islands. I've played over 10 hours and I haven't even seen the Kraken and we haven't been able to raid a single Skeleton Fort. Those are pretty tough. 

I appreciate the freedom when playing. I was so used to games that guide you from A to B to complete a quest, and then from B to C to complete another etc SoT offers something else. But I guess gamers want the game to hold their hand and tell them what to do and if you don't get a new skill or gun it's all meaningless.

I do agree there isn't enough content for 60€. I'll surely get my money's worth but that's not the same thing. Score of 4/10 is as silly as 9/10 though. 

@bold 1:  he didn’t say he experienced everything or stopped playing after 4-5h; he said he stopped HAVING FUN after 4-5h. And he’s not the first person to say that. 

@bold 2:  I haven’t really seen anyone have this complaint. All I’ve heard even remotely similar to this was confusion about how to start or complete a mission. But either way, that’s not even close to the primary complaint people have. The universal primary complaint is the lack of content, and to some people it makes the whole game not worth it; to others, it’s outweighed by SoT’s positives. 

Well, claiming it becomes "repetitive meaningless grind" after 4-5 hours is still bullshit. How can it be repetitive if you're still experiencing new stuff, having encounters with different people etc? Anyway, you repeat the same stuff over and over again in most multiplayer games. The way I see it, because playing more doesn't give you an advantage over other players some see this as a meaningless grind. 

I agree with the bolded part. Not worth of 60$ yet, but I think the game is worth experiencing yourself with game pass to see how you like it. People are missing out on many fun moments if they won't try it just because some stopped having fun after 5 hours. Of course it's pretty obvious many just want to look for these more negative reviews.

A completely balanced MMO - when you think about it. Had Rare gone the traditional route, we’d be reading ‘OP this and that’.

But it’s related to Xbox so they’re in a ‘damned if they do, damned if they dont’ scenario from certain fanboys.

Darkstation - 60.

Metacritic 69.

Easy Allies Review 6.5/10
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bZyomvjHCA

"Sea of Thieves presents a fun and fantastic concept, but the full experience is far too shallow. "