By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Sea of Thieves - Metacritic/Review thread - Metascore: XBO - 69 (69 reviews) PC - 68 (23 reviews)

Welp 7 reviews were added! HYPE

Windows Central - 70

Critical hit - 60

Atomix - 78

gameblog.fr - 70

Game Revolution - 50

Eurogamer Italy - 70

Gamepro Germany - 72

Around the Network

It's strange how slowly or how little the reviews have been coming in ...

X1's last big release which was Forza 7 received the majority of it's reviews within a week and numbering over 50 yet SoT is nearly half of that ...

fatslob-:O said:

X1's last big release which was Forza 7 received the majority of it's reviews within a week and numbering over 50 yet SoT is nearly half of that ...

I'd assume that people are taking their time since Sea of Thieves is an online experience that you can't just go through like you can go through Single Player campaigns and some online matches. Fair enough, I don't play Forza Motorsport so I might be way off on my assumption :P

fatslob-:O said:

didn't they get review codes prior to F7 release?

SoT afaik didn't have servers for reviewers as Rare felt they should judge it based on the real experience when servers are populated with players - and due to it's popularity there have been server problems and maintenance downtimes within the last week

Angry Joe just did his review : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kl3hf1aJ9s

its fun and they are dressed up as pirates while doing the skits.
Anyways he says its fun for about 4-5hours, and then becomes a repetitive meaningless grinde.

He scored it 4/10, and claims MS are ripping people off with it being 60$.

Around the Network

Can't say I'm surprised at the reviews so far. This game didn't look appealing to me at all. Maybe as time goes on with added content things may shape up.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

This games seem designed to piss me off specifically.

I love pirates; Sea of Thieves was lowkey the reason why I bought an Xbone back in 2015. Proper pumped for some silly pirate action.
Then it turns out it's multiplayer only. Ok, I can still play with other people, whatever.
However, fuck me, the game actually "wants you to make your own fun", i.e it has fuck all content.

3 kission types, money only good for boring customization options, designed for microtransactions.

With randos or on my own it'd be wank, and thanks to MS the Xbox brand has the same prevalence here as fucking smallpox.  

None of my friends own one.

And so here we are, my One in the attic, and waiting for Ni No Kuni 2. I guess it's alright

Last edited by Tulipanzo - on 27 March 2018

JRPGfan said:

Anyways he says its fun for about 4-5hours, and then becomes a repetitive meaningless grinde.

What a load of bullshit, honestly :P 

I don't think you can experience everything the game has to offer in 5 hours no way. After 5 hours you're probably doing those easy starter quests, learning to sail your ship, enjoying the sea, making contact with other crews and visiting a couple of islands. I've played over 10 hours and I haven't even seen the Kraken and we haven't been able to raid a single Skeleton Fort. Those are pretty tough. 

I appreciate the freedom when playing. I was so used to games that guide you from A to B to complete a quest, and then from B to C to complete another etc SoT offers something else. But I guess gamers want the game to hold their hand and tell them what to do and if you don't get a new skill or gun it's all meaningless.

I do agree there isn't enough content for 60€. I'll surely get my money's worth but that's not the same thing. Score of 4/10 is as silly as 9/10 though. 

KiigelHeart said:
JRPGfan said:

I don't think you can experience everything the game has to offer in 5 hours no way. After 5 hours you're probably doing those easy starter quests, learning to sail your ship, enjoying the sea, making contact with other crews and visiting a couple of islands. I've played over 10 hours and I haven't even seen the Kraken and we haven't been able to raid a single Skeleton Fort. Those are pretty tough. 

I appreciate the freedom when playing. I was so used to games that guide you from A to B to complete a quest, and then from B to C to complete another etc SoT offers something else. But I guess gamers want the game to hold their hand and tell them what to do and if you don't get a new skill or gun it's all meaningless.

I do agree there isn't enough content for 60€. I'll surely get my money's worth but that's not the same thing. Score of 4/10 is as silly as 9/10 though. 

I agree with this, though its more for how my own personal review structure breaks out.  To me anything lower than a 5 starts to point to an unplayable game.  Anything 9 and up points to a unique experience in story with little to no technical flaws.  While SoT might be "as deep as a puddle" as some reviews show it certainly doesn't have technical flaws that drive it toward an unplayable status.

KiigelHeart said:
JRPGfan said:

1) Hes obviously played it alot longer than 4-5 hours.... it just stopped being fun by then.
2) Hes done the raid's and fought a kracken.
3) watch it, he explains his issues with it pretty well, and why it got a 4 outta 10.