By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Latin Americans really like Dragonball

HomokHarcos said:
How easy is it to find anime in Spanish or Portuguese?

Here in Brazil pretty much every big anime gets translate at some point. There is a big history with animes and Brazil, during the 80's and 90's there was an channel called Manchete and a good chunck of it's programming were dedicated on animes and tokusatsu, so Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, BattleShip Yamato, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Saint Seya, Sailor Moon, Jaspion were as popular (or sometimes even more popular) as some american cartoons. Animes are still huge over here.

As a matter of fact, believe it or not, there is an official big budget movie of Jaspion being produced here by Sato to be released next year.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

Around the Network

Hey, I really like DB Super as well. It's a pretty fun show... Episode 130 was so dang exciting xD

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

Stuart23 said:
HomokHarcos said:
How easy is it to find anime in Spanish or Portuguese?

Here in Brazil pretty much every big anime gets translate at some point. There is a big history with animes and Brazil, during the 80's and 90's there was an channel called Manchete and a good chunck of it's programming were dedicated on animes and tokusatsu, so Dragon Ball, Yu Yu Hakusho, BattleShip Yamato, Ultraman, Speed Racer, Saint Seya, Sailor Moon, Jaspion were as popular (or sometimes even more popular) as some american cartoons. Animes are still huge over here.

As a matter of fact, believe it or not, there is an official big budget movie of Jaspion being produced here by Sato to be released next year.

I had no idea anime in general was that popular in Brazil. Seems like there are a lot fans and I wonder if Japan attempts to target that audience.

How popular is Woody Woodpecker (Pica pau) in Brazil? I remember when it was actually easier to find the Portuguese dubs of the cartoons than the original English language versions.

HomokHarcos said:
Stuart23 said:

I had no idea anime in general was that popular in Brazil. Seems like there are a lot fans and I wonder if Japan attempts to target that audience.

How popular is Woody Woodpecker (Pica pau) in Brazil? I remember when it was actually easier to find the Portuguese dubs of the cartoons than the original English language versions.

Oh Woody is crazy popular. I've heard it was the first cartoon to be released here, like ever. It is that one thing you can always find playing on TV over and over. Hey, you know how there is a bunch of memes of Spongebob and every week there is a new one and people can easily remember all of the jokes and dialogues? It is pretty much the same thing but with Woody Woodpecker.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 1286-0025-9138

It's a little odd, because I always considered France to be a bit anime obsessive. So I would expect to hear more about french viewing parties, but I don't hear a word about them.

Instead we hear about latin american viewing parties rather than say Spain or Portugal.

Around the Network

As someone who lives near the U.S.-Mexico International Border, I always knew that Dragon Ball was popular in Mexico, but I didn't know it was THIS popular.

Dragon Ball is legendary everywhere and latin american countries are no exception! Goku is pretty much considered a god by a lot of people I know from Chile and Argentina. That said I havent watched Super yet, which is sad because I couldn't get into the hype train!!!

I'm not surprised, considering soccer is really popular down there. I guess they just like watching stuff where nothing much happens for long periods of time.

That's the understatement of the century. We Latin Americans were and are crazy for Dragon Ball.