By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Boy Switch preorders 10 times higher than PS4

Lawlight said:
Never heard of the game but can’t say I’m surprised. Too much competition on the PS4 for smaller, unknown titles. And especially with PS+, you’d expect those types of games to be free. A bit like Rime.

Are you saying PS is a bad ecosystem for developers?

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

Around the Network

For independent developers of 2-D platformers? Yeah, I'd say that the Switch is a much better ecosystem overall. The PS4 just has too many games that actually take the system to its full capabilities.

Megiddo said:
For independent developers of 2-D platformers? Yeah, I'd say that the Switch is a much better ecosystem overall. The PS4 just has too many games that actually take the system to its full capabilities.

Yep, many games with poor frame rate on the PS4.

"The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must" - Thoukydides

That's pretty good for Nintendo

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

doesnt surprise me in the least

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Around the Network

This is one of those titles that released on the master system but not on the NES that Nintendo fans were jealous of. This is them showing that we want more Master System games to go multiplatform.

Honestly, it is because Nintendo fans are big 2D platformer fans. We did buy 30 million copies of NSMB after all. This should surprise no one. Also, have a game in a cartridge is much better than owning a game on a disc. 

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Megiddo said:
I'm not too surprised. There are a bevy of new PS4 releases whereas the Switch has more people searching the indies for something to play. The portability factor of a Switch is also big for these indie titles.

There are 70 million PS4s out in the wild and counting. One would think Monster Boy on PS4 would do better...

Why would you think that? Why would Monster Boy do better when there's all sorts of other games, ones that are not a simple 2-d platformer, that could be played instead? If this was a game like Hellblade or something, sure, I would be surprised if the Switch version did much better than the PS4/X1 version. But most people who have a PS4 wouldn't even know what Monster Boy is, let alone have any sort of desire to play it.

And now that I've actually seen footage of the game, I'm shocked it's not a mobile game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EcK9h-x4M

Yeah, something like this belongs on the Switch. I'm glad that its developers are finding success on that platform. But there is no surprise whatsoever that this sorta basic cutesy mobile-esque game isn't doing well on PS4.

Last edited by Megiddo - on 16 March 2018

Pinkie_pie said:
This is the first time I heard of this game. 10:1 is very impressive indeed. Seems like low budget games sell more on the switch than on ps4 and xbox one. I wonder will monster boy be the first 3rd party game to sell 1 million on the switch.

I assume that some low budget games sell more on PS4 while others sell more on Switch.

Megiddo said:

Why would you think that? Why would Monster Boy do better when there's all sorts of other games, ones that are not a simple 2-d platformer, that could be played instead? If this was a game like Hellblade or something, sure, I would be surprised if the Switch version did much better than the PS4/X1 version. But most people who have a PS4 wouldn't even know what Monster Boy is, let alone have any sort of desire to play it.

And now that I've actually seen footage of the game, I'm shocked it's not a mobile game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_EcK9h-x4M

Yeah, something like this belongs on the Switch. I'm glad that its developers are finding success on that platform. But there is no surprise whatsoever that this sorta basic cutesy mobile-esque game isn't doing well on PS4.

"Why would you think that? Why would Monster Boy do better when there's all sorts of other games, ones that are not a simple 2-d platformer, that could be played instead?"

> Because there are more PS4 owners than Switch owners.

"If this was a game like Hellblade or something, sure, I would be surprised if the Switch version did much better than the PS4/X1 version. But most people who have a PS4 wouldn't even know what Monster Boy is, let alone have any sort of desire to play it."

> For what it's worth, Dark Souls on Switch is currently outselling the PS4 version on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Remastered-PlayStation4-PlayStation-4/dp/B078Y4FR14/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521228118&sr=8-1&keywords=dark%2Bsouls&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Dark-Souls-Remastered-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B078YM9ZL5/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1521228120&sr=8-1&keywords=dark%2Bsouls%2Bswitch&th=1

"But there is no surprise whatsoever that this sorta basic cutesy mobile-esque game isn't doing well on PS4."

> It could still be doing well on PS4 just not as well as on Switch.

Last edited by KLAMarine - on 16 March 2018