By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Is the ratio between retail and digital on Xbox one higher than on other platforms?

Well when we have to say an Xbox game sold well we do need to say the digital made it since the physical were very far from it.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
hiccupthehuman said:
Intrinsic said:
I can actually say for certain this nonsense isn't true. Hell, I can even say I have proof.

Over here in the carribeans, and in pretty much all of africa or any other part of the world where the playstation isnt offixially beimg supported. We all buy digital.

Why? because its cheaper.

We buy oir consoles from NA or EU. But its cheaper to use oir cards to go to a site like PC game supply and buy PSN cards and use those tp load our qallets and buy games than to buy thw stupidly expensive games from stores over here with their extremely limited selection of games.

Now remember that the PS4 is globally the better selling console. By far. I can't imagine how with the bulk of the ROTW sales being digital for the PS4 the XB1 would still somehow sell better digitally.

To further prove my point, in the last 4 years, since the PS4 launched, I've not seen a single physical game (outside fifa and cod that i see for sale for around $130 in the local agores here). Not one. Never even held the box of a ps4 physical game.

I have a feeling this may not be entirely true.

Logically, the majority of the ROTW sales for the PS4 will likely be from regions where the PS4 is officially supported, and likely be supported by physical copies of games as well.

While in unofficially supported regions, while people may buy only digital, there are a lot less owners so I don't think it would really affect the global proportion of PS4's digital vs physical sales, since unofficially supported regions  have a smaller share of the ROTW sales, well since they aren't officially supported. 

And the same argument could be said for Xbox owners in unofficially supported regions as well anyway.

No.... ok' I can't speak for the rest of africa so I'll only focus on Nigeria. Its got a population of over 180M people. Now I'm gonna hazard a guess that at least 1M people own a PS4 over there (probably more but lets keep it low). 

Every single one of those 1M people aquired their console in an unofficial capacity because there is no official playstation support over there. Now there are a lot of other countries in africa. And this is just africa alone. Now the thing about this though is that sales from places like these don't even add to the ROTW number if I,m being honest. They add to the NA amd EU numbers cause thats where the consoles are bought from.

I just know that in such places around the world.... and all of such places probably account foe around 5-10M of global PS4 sales; they primarily buy their games digitally. Simply cause its cheaper. Like buying a game physically usually costs over $120 per game.

Hirouakan said:
Here in Brazil we buy mostly digital as well. I can say that at least for me and my friends. Every single one of them buy digital only, and i'm the only one in my circle who still buys physical from time to time. Lately there have been some great sales, and the prices adjustment, based on how much has passed since the game's release, seems to be much faster. Now when it comes to physical, you either buy cheap second handed, or you pay overpriced new copies on the stores that rarely go down in price, and when it does, its about 2 years after the game's release.

So yeah, here in Brazil i can somewhat attest that Digital is probably more popular than Physical.

From my friends observation, 3 buy physical and 1 digital... also from Brazil... only buy digital when it is much much cheaper than physical

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

Cod WW2 has 15.3m players in PS4. And PS4 is at 11.6m physical so close to 25% digital. Xbox has 9.4m and 5.5m physical sales to close to 42% digital.

So for Cod Xbox probably has a higher digital rate.

Last edited by jason1637 - on 15 March 2018

DonFerrari said:
Hirouakan said:
Here in Brazil we buy mostly digital as well. I can say that at least for me and my friends. Every single one of them buy digital only, and i'm the only one in my circle who still buys physical from time to time. Lately there have been some great sales, and the prices adjustment, based on how much has passed since the game's release, seems to be much faster. Now when it comes to physical, you either buy cheap second handed, or you pay overpriced new copies on the stores that rarely go down in price, and when it does, its about 2 years after the game's release.

So yeah, here in Brazil i can somewhat attest that Digital is probably more popular than Physical.

From my friends observation, 3 buy physical and 1 digital... also from Brazil... only buy digital when it is much much cheaper than physical

Hmm interesting. Do they buy used copies in places like Mercado Livre or brand new ones in the stores?

There's also the trading groups on facebook and whatsapp which i often go to when looking for physical games, so i can trade games im not interested anymore with other owners. Do you or your friends trade games as well?

If there's a nice, fairly priced channel you guys use to buy games, like a specific distributor, i'd be curious to know as well.

Around the Network
Hirouakan said:
DonFerrari said:

Hmm interesting. Do they buy used copies in places like Mercado Livre or brand new ones in the stores?

There's also the trading groups on facebook and whatsapp which i often go to when looking for physical games, so i can trade games im not interested anymore with other owners. Do you or your friends trade games as well?

If there's a nice, fairly priced channel you guys use to buy games, like a specific distributor, i'd be curious to know as well.

Well they usually buy new, and buy from Mercado Livre or on the Av. Paulista stores and other grey market option as far as I know.

I don't trade usually, I buy a lot of used and keep them. Usually I'll just buy new the very best games (like FF XV, RE7, most Sony 1st party) and the rest I'll buy when I yearly travel and find them for 10-20 USD... else I'll buy digital on the flash sales or when I go to those stores in Av Paulista and see a cheap game.

Intrinsic said:
hiccupthehuman said:

I have a feeling this may not be entirely true.

Logically, the majority of the ROTW sales for the PS4 will likely be from regions where the PS4 is officially supported, and likely be supported by physical copies of games as well.

While in unofficially supported regions, while people may buy only digital, there are a lot less owners so I don't think it would really affect the global proportion of PS4's digital vs physical sales, since unofficially supported regions  have a smaller share of the ROTW sales, well since they aren't officially supported. 

And the same argument could be said for Xbox owners in unofficially supported regions as well anyway.

No.... ok' I can't speak for the rest of africa so I'll only focus on Nigeria. Its got a population of over 180M people. Now I'm gonna hazard a guess that at least 1M people own a PS4 over there (probably more but lets keep it low). 

Every single one of those 1M people aquired their console in an unofficial capacity because there is no official playstation support over there. Now there are a lot of other countries in africa. And this is just africa alone. Now the thing about this though is that sales from places like these don't even add to the ROTW number if I,m being honest. They add to the NA amd EU numbers cause thats where the consoles are bought from.

I just know that in such places around the world.... and all of such places probably account foe around 5-10M of global PS4 sales; they primarily buy their games digitally. Simply cause its cheaper. Like buying a game physically usually costs over $120 per game.

You are really overestimating how many PS4s or consoles in general there are in Nigeria and Africa in general.

The average income is 5,000-8,000 USD. I highly doubt that so many Nigerians are using their limited income on PS4s. Just thinking about the issues in Nigeria (and Africa overall) high poverty rate, low literacy rate, having one of the highest-infant mortality rate, etc., there is no way that so many Nigerians would be playing video games.

Case in point, in South Africa, which is one of the richest African countries, they sold 40,000 PS4s in its first year. https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/112460-how-many-playstations-are-there-in-south-africa.html. So even in officially supported African countries, there are not that many PS4s. In unofficially supported ones, its gonna be even lower.

hiccupthehuman said:
Intrinsic said:

You are really overestimating how many PS4s or consoles in general there are in Nigeria and Africa in general.

The average income is 5,000-8,000 USD. I highly doubt that so many Nigerians are using their limited income on PS4s. Just thinking about the issues in Nigeria (and Africa overall) high poverty rate, low literacy rate, having one of the highest-infant mortality rate, etc., there is no way that so many Nigerians would be playing video games.

Case in point, in South Africa, which is one of the richest African countries, they sold 40,000 PS4s in its first year. https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/112460-how-many-playstations-are-there-in-south-africa.html. So even in officially supported African countries, there are not that many PS4s. In unofficially supported ones, its gonna be even lower.

100k PS4 sold on Nigeria would already be a big estimation.

Last edited by DonFerrari - on 16 March 2018

jason1637 said:

Cod WW2 has 15.3m players in PS4. And PS4 is at 11.6m physical so close to 25% digital. Xbox has 9.4m and 5.5m physical sales to close to 42% digital.

So for Cod Xbox probably has a higher digital rate.

Yes that is how it looks now also interesting to see is that ps4 failed to double thecod ww2 xbox sales with a lot of marketing. So know it would be interesting to know how big are the parts of the 25 million battlefield 1 players for each console and the pc and other games.

I think the problem here is the genre. Its a shooter, off course it will do good on xbox digital or not, especially in where shooters re big witch is where the xbox sells the most. People have better income so selling most likely is not necessary, so digital is preferible.

Something tells me the ratio of ffxv digital is alsso higher on ps4. Does it mean anything? No, just one nit pick game that was already gona kill on ps4. I dont think we have any game that is neutral enough that we could make this assessment.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.