By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Your Favorite Protagonist That Most People Hate

Tagged games:

Tidus, Dante (DmC).

Around the Network
Azzanation said:

The visuals on FF7 is not excusable for its time though, they were really bad for that generation, especially after games like Zelda OoT and Crash Bandicoot were released on that same generation.

What are you talking about?

When FF VII came out, there was no other JRPG games that looked remotely as good as it did. Yes, it did get surpassed not long after, but when it originally came out, there was no denying how great it looked compared to what came before it.

Morgana from Persona 5

Kratos

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Mr_No said:
The Fury said:

Dude's a psychopath, but I do think I'm in the minority when saying I don't like him. I disassociated myself from his actions near the end that I was not in control of. Bit different to say Nathan Drake who is a homocidal maniac or Captain Walker who is actually insane (I made that bugger shoot himself).

I personally don't hate Joel despite all of the things he has done at the ending. It's all a matter of perspective. In plain sight he seems like a psychopath after doing all of that, but acting as the other side was clean slate innocent is not fair to him. He did what he thought was right, and there was no evidence that Ellie would've saved humanity. There were recordings lying around the hospital showing that they've failed making a cure with the other test subjects. Not denying he went all homicidal, but people are going at this very one-sided.

Chances that Ellie''s death would lead to a cure where  very slim to none. Even if a cure would have been extracted. There isn't a real way to distribute it. The world of the last of us has different morals than our own. Surviving is what counts and that's exactly what Joel is a survivor.

Even though he went to he'll and back more times than he could count. Besides from all the sociopaths you meet in the game Joel is not so bad, especially if you consider his background the guy literally lost everything. Ellie is pretty much the only person for him left to care about. Sure he murdered a lot of people, but to be honest pretty much everyone in that world is a potential threat.

Besides name a popular non sports game in which you don't murder at least a hundred people. Pretty much every protagonist is an evil douchebag.

Please excuse my (probally) poor grammar

Donald Trump

Around the Network

Raiden.

Hynad said:
Azzanation said:

The visuals on FF7 is not excusable for its time though, they were really bad for that generation, especially after games like Zelda OoT and Crash Bandicoot were released on that same generation.

When FF VII came out, there was no other JRPG games that looked remotely as good as it did. Yes, it did get surpassed not long after, but when it originally came out, there was no denying how great it looked compared to what came before it.

No it looked bad. Those blocky lego character models in the main world looked worse than a SNES game. Go play Crono Trigger and compare the two. FF7 was an ugly game. Its biggest short cut was its pre-rendered backgrounds which if you are saying that looks good well each to there own. Im no fan of Pre-rendered visiuals. Id much rather full 3D or a good art style than just a low res video playing in the background. 

Anyway i am a huge fan of FF7 and it drew me in with its compelling story. Its visusls is Some thing that definilty hasnt aged well and it explains why it needs a remake.

Teddie from Persona 4.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Azzanation said:
Hynad said:

No it looked bad. Those blocky lego character models in the main world looked worse than a SNES game. Go play Crono Trigger and compare the two. FF7 was an ugly game. Its biggest short cut was its pre-rendered backgrounds which if you are saying that looks good well each to there own. Im no fan of Pre-rendered visiuals. Id much rather full 3D or a good art style than just a low res video playing in the background. 

Anyway i am a huge fan of FF7 and it drew me in with its compelling story. Its visusls is Some thing that definilty hasnt aged well and it explains why it needs a remake.

You talk as if you experienced the game a decade after its release. Back then, it was praised for most everything it brought (graphics, music, cut-scenes, story, characters, you name it). 

It got surpassed fast, sure. But most people agreed it was a great looking game when it came out.

The protags from FF8 - I got attached to all of them, even Irvine, and was surprised how much people just bagged on the game due to their origin story. (Yes it's convenient, but it's nice to see a 'destined group getting back together' every once in a while.) Quarrelsome Seifer, airhead Selphie, "chicken-wuss" Zell, mature Quistis, all-talk Irvine, and of course dour loner Squall...even if their backstories weren't shocking or dramatic, they acted like and reminded me of real people I grew up with.

Raiden would also fit the bill I think. People moaned about him replacing Snake long after release. I thought it was neat playing a fresh hero reacting to Metal Gear weirdness & drama for the first time.