By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will sell more God of War or Sea of Thieves ?

Which game will sell better?

God of War 181 85.38%

Sea of Thieves 27 12.74%

Too close to call 4 1.89%

Total:212

I would be shocked if God of War managed to sell less

Around the Network
SpokenTruth said:
Azzanation said:

1. So how do you know that these copies are sold at $60 in every store globally when each company sells these copies at there own set prices/discounts

2. Also do you have a link for that budget of Halo 5 or is that an assumption? Because evidence would be nice to back up your claim. 

3. Sales is just a number, its how much money that number turns into profit. 

1. How do you know they were not.  That said.  What of a game that sold 15 million units?  Are you going to say they were all sold at $20 each?

2. It is an assumption based on the known development and marketing budgets for other games of that scope and marketing reach.  Are you suggesting development and marketing was far less?

3. You should not be extolling the virtues of profit when your premise is on revenue with no data "to back up your claim."

I am basing it off what is a record breaking Halo game at launch.

I am sure a lot of the costs will eat up the revenue, that's what revenue is. However Halo 5 smashed Halo 4's record which made more revenue than The Avengers and Harry Potter movies at the time.. and Halo 5 was bigger again.

Halo 5 went on to sell 5m copies with a record breaking revenue boost at launch and almost double that of Halo 4's. 

If you can show me another game that did similar numbers I would like to know. Halo also would have made a lot of its money due to its consistence high price and its limited bundles and lets not forget the Halo 5 merchandise and books. 

Anyway I am going to bed, I need sleep. Ill be on tomorrow if I haven't been bombarded with death threat messages. Happy to discuss this another day.

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

Nope I aint, but being a new franchise doesn't prevent it from having good sales, and it could of course outsell GoW.

So that is a coup out that doesn't matter the sales you or others can just say that digital were so big (even without any data) that it sold more than any other game right?

Neither Knack nor Driveclub were forced bundles... at the time they released there were vanilla PS4 available and the bundle with Knack and DC had the difference in price as you were paying for those games almost full.

You make assumptions that are pretty unbased on reality, at any point in PS4 time (besides the launch time where you had no inventory available) there were multiple different SKUs of PS4 to buy so no one was obligated to buy a PS4 with UC4. And considering UC previous games also sold a lot, and the game is quite well regarded you can't dismiss it's sales saying they were due to bundling.

Where the heck did you got the 400M profit on H5?

DriveClub was on the cheapest PS4 bundle, at the time of release I have never seen so many trade ins for a game at launch, yet unfortunately it still counted as sales for the game. Do you really think DC sold well, if that was the case Sony would have not shut the studio down. Rare few brought the game, the game just happens to land in the laps of PS4 owners due to the bundle deals Sony has going on. Its pretty obvious isn't it? A game that sold 2.3m and the studio had to be closed down.. It clearly didn't make Sony any money.

Knack was a launch title for an already bare bones line up for the PS4, in Japan Knack sold incredibly well because its only other AAA game it was competiting against was Killzone zone, and we all know Japanese aren't fans of the FPS genre.

A little research will one day help you Don. 

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/halo-5-reaches-400-million-in-sales-to-become-bigg/1100-6431980/

Do sales matter? no, profit does.

Where did I said DC sold well? I said that the sales weren't forced bundles that people couldn't buy without.

You don't have any metric for the profits of Halo, nor for the Xbox during any quarter, you don't even know for sure how many Xbox were sold, so shut up.

Azzanation said:
Barkley said:

Nice, but the $400m figure is sales revenue, not profit. A little research indeed.

But your entire point is mute because whether you're looking at it from a sales or profit perspective PlayStation is absolutely killing it.

$1.1 Billion Operating Profit for last fiscal year, and a forecast of $1.6 Billion for this fiscal year. You can try and downplay sales all you want but your tactic of shifting to profits will do absolutely nothing when PlayStation's profits are soaring.

That was my point, sales revenue, profit what ever we want to call it. Its all a good thing especially $400m.

So the entire PS brand profited $1.1b and Halo 5 alone did $400m revenue? That was probably a poor example.  

Point is a game can sell 2m units and earn less to a game that sold 1m. That's my point. 

So Let's pretend Halo5 sold 5 Million at launch at full price and MS made the full retail price of it with no margin to any seller... 60x5M = 3000M... your numbers don't even match (because they counted the hw sold together to make that number) also MS do less than 40 USD of that sale (on revenue).

Azzanation said:
DonFerrari said:

You just hurt my fun.

I am still waiting for your Sony game that eclipses that $400m? There should be heaps since UC4 and Horizon double Halo 5 sales..

I'll wait for you to show the profit from X1+games, or from Halo.

UC4 had about 10M sales, with average price at least 40 bucks, so 400M already matched without even adding the HW you said drove the sales because people were mandated to buy it together...

You are going to strike harder than Globally in USA this way.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

i think this match will win god of war

Azzanation said:
GOWTLOZ said:

That $400m isn't for Halo 5 but both Halo 5 and Xbox One bundles that were sold with Halo 5 presumably at no added cost over an Xbox One console so that isn't part of what the game itself made. The expenses you speak of are a lot more than you think they are, I'm pretty sure they are several times the $1.1b profit PlayStation made during the quarter. There are network expenses, production costs, retail distribution and marketing that eat up a lot of that revenue and because hardware costs a lot more than a game Halo 5 sales itself would be no where near that $400m mark.

I agree however that's an assumption you are making. Do we have proof? And why haven't we heard of the revenue gains UC4/Horizon made at launch? If its that high I am sure we would have heard about it. Halo is a massive franchise worth over $5b. Its a lot bigger than what we are comparing it to.

They gave the sales numbers. Not too hard to estimate what revenue they made out of it.

I didn't make assumptions as far as Halo 5 revenues are concerned. To make $400m on game sales alone it would have required 6 million in sales which it hasn't sold to date. Its obvious that hardware is where a majority of that revenue came.

Around the Network

Doesn't seem like SoT has a MASS appeal to it. GOW is an established first party IP that sells millions. Going with the safe bet and say GOW easily. SoT may have the longer legs though.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

The game is going to kill on PC. Sea of Theives (look at No Man's Sky except this will have legs).

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

I watched some gameplay from SoT from some popular streamers and the whole time I'm thinking how boring it looks.

Nintendo Labo.

Rafie said:
Doesn't seem like SoT has a MASS appeal to it. GOW is an established first party IP that sells millions. Going with the safe bet and say GOW easily. SoT may have the longer legs though.

Theres no real progression though. You cant better your character, level him up, build a better ship ect.
Its all cosmetic, I dont see it keeping player base intrested long, or selling for along time tbh.

roadkillers said:
The game is going to kill on PC. Sea of Theives (look at No Man's Sky except this will have legs).

What makes you and Rafie think it ll have long legs?

rodea_sky_soldier said:
Nintendo Labo.

as depressing as that sounds, it could happend.
Feel like a "real" game with tons of effort put into it, should beat some mini games + cardboard made for small kids.... but yeah, you could be right.