By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which will sell more God of War or Sea of Thieves ?

Which game will sell better?

God of War 181 85.38%

Sea of Thieves 27 12.74%

Too close to call 4 1.89%

Total:212

Even if Game Pass wasn’t a factor, SoT would not sell well. I don’t care what random mundane stats MS and Rare try to bring; SoT is simply not something that will appeal to the vast majority of Xbox users. Not saying it’ll be a bad game, but look at games like Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive; games that had potential to be high sellers, but fell pretty flat, given the hype that was placed behind them, and recieving fairly decent reviews. I’m thinking 2 - 3 million LT for SoT, and that’s being fairly generous 

if God of War launches to the same critical acclaim that is standard to the franchise, it will sell 5 million + this year alone. 

0331 Happiness is a belt-fed weapon

Around the Network
FattyDingDong said:

A lot of us will probably dismiss Sea of Thieves as another insignificant game.. However, I see great potential in the game and I believe it has the potential to sell millions of copies for a few reasons. First of all, Xbox owners are dying to play a new exclusive game and Sea of Thieves is the only game available in the spring. Another reason is Sea of Thieves is extremely unique and gamers love originality. 

Therefor, which exclusive game do you think will perform better lifetime?   Sea of Thieves or God of War?  both games are set to be released in the spring. 

1. State of Decay 2 releases on May 22nd, so it's not the only game this spring.

2. Both will be available day one on Game Pass.

Because of this, I think God of War will sell more physical copies (the ones we'll be able to keep track of). That being said,  M$ is going to make a pretty penny even before Crackdown 3 releases.

Dad of War, easily. Not even close.

I have a feeling these threads' sole reason for existence is the slight chance that the improbable might happen and to serve massive crow to overconfident people who just naturally picked the most probable answer.

That said, easy win for Sea of Thieves.

If you demand respect or gratitude for your volunteer work, you're doing volunteering wrong.

I’m buying Sea of Thieves and I’ve never cared for God of War, but I’m not going to assume GoW won’t sell more physical copies. But if SoT takes off, it can sell millions digitally. They’re totally diffferent games aimed at different customers. Let’s not forget the SoT beta generated a lot of attention on Twitch/Mixer, so it does have potential.

Last edited by Seventizz - on 09 March 2018

Around the Network

Massively epic third-person action-adventure, with tons of story.

vs

Pirate MMO sandbox (without any real rpg mechanics, story ect).

Tough call, but Im thinking God of War comes out on top.

I think some are putting to much hope on multiplayer. This is not even a contest. GOW should have a landslide victory.

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Not.. even..... Close......

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

I picked Sea of Theives because it probably annoys somebody.

There is an obvious underdog in this fight.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Mr Puggsly said:
I picked Sea of Theives because it probably annoys somebody.

There is an obvious underdog in this fight.

Yea, ignorant gamers who have no clue how big online multiplayer games are - especially on PC.

eg: PUBG has sold 30 million units with the Xbox version alone selling 4 million - and this version is still in early access.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayerUnknown's_Battlegrounds

Will SoT reach this milestone?  Probably not.  But the betas have been a big success and there is no game like it.