By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Wii/PS3/360: Which one has the nicest design?

FishyJoe said:

Not everyone agrees. Space is at a premium in Japan. The average size apartment is quite small.

http://blog.wired.com/games/2007/05/parappa_creator.html

Parappa Creator: PS3 is "Too Big"

Matsuura NanaOn-Sha's Masaya Matsuura thinks he knows the real reason the PS3 is lagging behind the Wii in Japan; it's not the games, it's not the price, it's the size. According to the Parappa creator, the PS3 is just too darn big, especially when compared with the diminutive Wii.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, Matsuura went on to explain that with the 360, "the problem is not the size of the hardware but of the AC adapter." Well, ok, he does kind of have a point there. That thing is honkingly huge.

Matsuura praised the Wii, but said it presented some unique challenges from a game design perspective:

Wii is a very good piece of hardware. Many talented people from Nintendo make great ideas for game hardware, of course. Already I've been starting to think about Wii software, but it's very hard sometimes. Because can you keep shaking the controller for hours? Players can't spend a long time on gameplay, so this can be tough. So I respect Nintendo's activities, but for software designers like us, it's very hard.

Do the Japanese live in tiny closets?  It's rediculous to think that something the size of the PS3 takes up too much space and that's the reason people don't buy it. 

Around the Network

THe Wii definitley has the best design, just the simple things make the WIi's design so much cooler than the other two systems (I'll admit 360's design is the most flawed) Just the simple stand that you put the Wii on was a genius move by Nintendo. It looks so next gen and epic with the pulsing blue light on the stand.

Xbox Live Gamertag - Deathscythe X

AIM SN - Alexie Di Onie

Wii : cool design, but a bit over-simplified. Xbox360 : Quite big, but I think I like it very much! PS3 : I think it's the biggest of the 3 consoles, but it has that futuristic style that really appeals to me.

Tsuki ni kawatte...Oshiokiyo!

Watching "Aa!!Megami-sama : Sorezore no Tsubasa" and loving it!! 

Silver_Z said:
I find PS3 the nicest in design. Even if there were no games for it.... I did not regret buying it. The design stands out so much that it can be used as a decorative item.

Maybe Sony should start advertising it as such.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Legend11 said:
FishyJoe said:

Not everyone agrees. Space is at a premium in Japan. The average size apartment is quite small.

Matsuura NanaOn-Sha's Masaya Matsuura thinks he knows the real reason the PS3 is lagging behind the Wii in Japan; it's not the games, it's not the price, it's the size. According to the Parappa creator, the PS3 is just too darn big, especially when compared with the diminutive Wii.

Speaking to GamesIndustry, Matsuura went on to explain that with the 360, "the problem is not the size of the hardware but of the AC adapter." Well, ok, he does kind of have a point there. That thing is honkingly huge.

Matsuura praised the Wii, but said it presented some unique challenges from a game design perspective:

Wii is a very good piece of hardware. Many talented people from Nintendo make great ideas for game hardware, of course. Already I've been starting to think about Wii software, but it's very hard sometimes. Because can you keep shaking the controller for hours? Players can't spend a long time on gameplay, so this can be tough. So I respect Nintendo's activities, but for software designers like us, it's very hard.

Do the Japanese live in tiny closets? It's rediculous to think that something the size of the PS3 takes up too much space and that's the reason people don't buy it.

Not tiny "closets", but tiny apartments less than 500 sq ft as the norm?

Yes.

Edit: Actually, I live in a similar country where size is at an even higher premium than in Japan, and believe me, smaller is much better and more appreciated here as well.

Around the Network
your mother said:
Legend11 said:
FishyJoe said:

Do the Japanese live in tiny closets? It's rediculous to think that something the size of the PS3 takes up too much space and that's the reason people don't buy it.

Yes.

Edit: Actually, I live in a similar country where size is at an even higher premium than in Japan, and believe me, smaller is much better and more appreciated here as well.

That link provided absolutely no convincing information. The Playstation 3 can fit in a drawer. It is by far smaller than a P.C., or even a T.V. The PS3 is only huge when compared to other consoles. Consoles, in general, are small. The PS3, in general, is small. At the end, it all depends on what you compare the console to. A PS3 is a microrganism when compared to a mountain, but when compared to grain of sand, it's a beast. When you compare a PS3 (now this is the key point) to a small, Japanese apartment, it is small. The PS3 can even fit inside drawer, microwave, or even a toilet for crying out loud. Funny how people actually think it occupies too much room, especially when it ends up being one of the smallest things when compared to average household appliances.

IMO Wii has the best design. 360 comes in second, because its design actually compliments the interface. I think that the 4 circular light quadrants is brilliant. PS3 comes in dead last, that thing is hideous.

a.l.e.x59 said:
your mother said:
Legend11 said:
FishyJoe said:

Yes.

That link provided absolutely no convincing information. The Playstation 3 can fit in a drawer. It is by far smaller than a P.C., or even a T.V. The PS3 is only huge when compared to other consoles. Consoles, in general, are small. The PS3, in general, is small. At the end, it all depends on what you compare the console to. A PS3 is a microrganism when compared to a mountain, but when compared to grain of sand, it's a beast. When you compare a PS3 (now this is the key point) to a small, Japanese apartment, it is small. The PS3 can even fit inside drawer, microwave, or even a toilet for crying out loud. Funny how people actually think it occupies too much room, especially when it ends up being one of the smallest things when compared to average household appliances.

You're missing the point.

First off, the PS3 can fit in a drawer or a toilet, but I somehow think that placing it in a drawer wouldn't bode well for the console's heat dissipation, nor would it be very convenient to play from the toilet when your TV is in the living room. Besides, who in their right mind would place their prized PS3 in a toilet or a drawer? You're supposed to show the damn thing off!

Secondly, it does occupy too much room when you have other appliances, some larger, some smaller, all competing for the same amount of real estate.

Placing a PS3 in my living room today means I have to either take out existing hardware that does not need to be replaced, or finding awkward places to fit the PS3. My Wii is already in an awkward position in my living room. It's a good thing all my other consoles are back in my home country because if I would have brought all of it, I simply wouldn't have space to walk.

windowview said:
IMO Wii has the best design. 360 comes in second, because its design actually compliments the interface. I think that the 4 circular light quadrants is brilliant. PS3 comes in dead last, that thing is hideous.

I was going to vote the 360 last but you do bring up an excellent point about how the console's exterior matches the user interface, so kudos to the design firm for that. 

And welcome to the forum! 

Wii - Very sleek, but not very elegant. Very small, like a PStwo. Nice white design. Overall, there are no negatives about the design, but it's not uber-sweet like the PStwo quite was. 360 - Rather sleek and elegant at a price of size (considerably larger than the Wii), again, no real negatives other than size/weight. However, the power brick takes away from its true beauty (and the Black 360 is sweet too) PS3 - Like sinear said, it's a design abonination. My g/f's little sister got one (she's like 7). It's the ugliest thing I've ever seen, with its 5,000 holes in the side, big battleship-like exterior. It's like an obese, hungry black egg.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.