By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Italian election results

Current ruling party PD (left) is losing, large gains for 5-Stars (anti-establishment) and Lega Nord (right). No absolute majority, therefore a coalition is needed.

Final results here eventually: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Italian_general_election,_2018

Around the Network

I wonder why ...

So 5 Stars will refuse a coalition and be a minority party once again despite having the largest number of votes in a party?

Facism really is coming back, huh? Oh boy. I guess we were due for another genocide

StarOcean said:
Facism really is coming back, huh? Oh boy. I guess we were due for another genocide

The Russians did it too.

Around the Network

Italian here, ask anything about our politics. I wanted to make this thread myself to warn people from other countries of the risks of populism and anti-EU movements but I wanted to see what kind of coalition (if any) would form.

Just so you know, Matteo Renzi, the leader of PD just resigned (like 40 minutes ago) and expressed his opposition to any form of alliance with Right and M5S

Megiddo said:
So 5 Stars will refuse a coalition and be a minority party once again despite having the largest number of votes in a party?

They said they are open to alliances now since they need to reach 40%, but their entire campaign was about bashing other parties and claiming they were the only "good politicians" . On that note, even if M5S got 32% some of their deputies will leave the party instantly since they didn't follow the guidelines of the party and their nominations couldn't be changed by the party itself

Megiddo said:

With the current results, they'll be somewhat forced to cooperate. Can't form a government if they're not involved.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Always odd looking at foreign politics. How can one be so concerned about the environment and embrace science yet be strongly against vaccination which are rooted in science? Bizarre.

EU is a sinking ship, a failed superstate project. The sooner leave this trainwreck, the better.