By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is the United States so segregated?

Rayban99 said:

Why do people from countries with far more egregious human rights issues than the United States try to adopt a position of moral superiority when it comes to this topic? Is also a good question .

Brazil is probably at least as 'racist' as America but they are decades from even beginning to address an issue like this. America averages around 500 killings by police per year while Brazil is 3000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Brazil

I never said that Brazil is a great place with incredible equality for all citizens. Actually, I hate Brazil. That's why I got out of there in the first place.

Let me explain this situation to you: In Brazil, after the abolition of slavery by Princess Isabel, the government didn't give a shit about the slaves who were just freed. Because of that, the ex-slaves were extremely poor, and started creating the favelas, slums. Because they were brought from Africa, they also happened to be black. Because of the recency of this event, favelas still have a more predominant black population.

It just happened that a big part of the poorest portion of the Brazilian society is black. That's why black people have a lower life expectancy and a higher rate of deaths by homicide. The favelas are extremely dangerous, and it so happens that most people living in favelas are black. The police is terribly trained too. I actually think this number of 3000 deaths by police per year is extremely higher in real life.

But it has nothing to do with Brazilian people thinking of the favelas as "places where black people live". Actually, the worst problem in Brazil is just how poor people can be. Racism exists to a certain degree, but it is much less trivialized than in the US. No one refers to things as "black culture" or "white culture", most likely because the Brazilian population is so mixed.

B O I

Around the Network
John2290 said:
It's because they won't let it go and expect racism around every corner, calling out the most minor things as racist. It would seem to me that racism was dying with generation Z until US millennials started digging it up, replanting the seed and now watering it, all the while creating division that is growing. It's such a pity, as staying silent on only the most extreme racial issues is the way to defeat racism but when you start calling haircuts and kids halloween costumes racist you loose sight and cause such harm. I guess we'll just have to deal with this until the next generation comes along and calls it out for how silly it is. As for real racism, unless people are practicing white/black/Asian supremacy in secret it is no concern, sane people can call them out for it and ostracize them as we can see with groups like BAMN and the radical fringes of BLM and neo nazi's. As for the latter, they won't gain traction in today's society and have failed multiple times and the former, whiles still holding traction they our loosing it fairly quick with the now openly supremacist words and actions.

Take a look at many European nations or Russia and its clear that openly racist movements can gain traction and affect the whole society. Doesn´t take much to fuel fear and create chaos.

The US is the most diverse country in the world so it makes sense to have people asked What race they are. Yeah there are communities of only white, asain, black or hispanics. There are also communities of people from certain countries. But this isn't racist that's just where people feel most comfortable living. Fortunately this has been going away so many communities are becoming more integrated. But yeah the US isn't racist.

adisababa said:
US is still alright for the most part, but UK is a whole other beast. Over there, I've been told to get out of the metro twice, once by some old drunk and second by a group of teens because of my ethnicity, granted they were mostly drunks but it still isn't a comfortable feeling when you're told that.

I actually think you're talking rubbish, I don't believe that one for one second... Unless you're white and the group of teens were black, etc... The UK is a whole other Beast???

If you're trying to imply the UK, a totally submissive nation who's being tarred with every brush for the sake of it, has more race problems than the USA, then you're utterly deluded or just a sh1t-stirrer!

KingCherry said:
adisababa said:
US is still alright for the most part, but UK is a whole other beast. Over there, I've been told to get out of the metro twice, once by some old drunk and second by a group of teens because of my ethnicity, granted they were mostly drunks but it still isn't a comfortable feeling when you're told that.

I actually think you're talking rubbish, I don't believe that one for one second... Unless you're white and the group of teens were black, etc... The UK is a whole other Beast???

If you're trying to imply the UK, a totally submissive nation who's being tarred with every brush for the sake of it, has more race problems than the USA, then you're utterly deluded or just a sh1t-stirrer!

After reading your reply I did a quick Google search of racism in the UK and it definitely exists.

http://www.dw.com/en/is-the-uks-racist-hate-crime-problem-out-of-control/a-40935838

https://graziadaily.co.uk/life/real-life/racism-discrimination-uk/

Around the Network

When you stop allowing yourself to be labeled as racist by the main stream media then you can wake up, step outside and shake the hands of your neighbor and even hold a conversation with them. Stop assuming your racist because someone is telling you to be. There are so many creative minds out there if you just sit down with them and just here what they have to stay. We lack that social integrity because we hide behind social media. There is no emotion or vibe you can feel from someone through a post than you can with real life interaction.

Flilix said:
pastro243 said:
I just find funny their definitions of "races", like the bad usage of Caucasian as synonym for white, or being "hispanic". I have a white friend from argentina and she didn't know if she had to fill the caucasian answer or the latino one when she was asked.

Why would someone get asked what their race is?

Sometimes they ask you to fill some forms, I think they used to ask it in airports. Some of them had to answer for jobs or stuff like that 

pastro243 said:
Flilix said:

Why would someone get asked what their race is?

Sometimes they ask you to fill some forms, I think they used to ask it in airports. Some of them had to answer for jobs or stuff like that 

But that's just stupid. Nobody should care about your race/colour/ethnicity when you're applying for a job.

Snoorlax said:

As a fellow Latin American I agree with everything you've said. The difference is that the Spaniards and Portuguese that colonized Latin America were open to interracial marriage (No, it was not always rape) since most of them had Arab and Jewish roots while in the US this was shamed upon. While Latin America has lots of social problems including colorism, nationalism, superiorty complex. Racism is not one of them... Except maybe Argentina.

Being from Chile, I tell you we have that problem too. Having amerindian traits would put you under white people in the scale of social valoration, even if it's implicit and no one goes around beating people because of it. 

Flilix said:
pastro243 said:

But that's just stupid. Nobody should care about your race/colour/ethnicity when you're applying for a job.

I agree, and on top of that, the definitions they use for it (hispanic, caucasian, etc...) are either obsolete, misplaced or simply wrong