By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is the United States so segregated?

Aeolus451 said:

Do you know what the definition of racist is? *shrugs Acknowledging the differences between different races and cultures is not racist. The US is a massive country and because of that we have different accents/slang/cultures on top of the American culture.

I'm not talking about acknowledging the difference between cultures. I'm talking about creating "races". Diving people based on their skin color and creating stereotypes following that. Using the video I mentioned before as an example: "Things Our Black Moms Would Say". This title makes no sense at all. The only thing a black mom would say that a white mom wouldn't say is "I'm black". Your skin color doesn't make you behave a certain way or say certain things. But the US seems obsessed with classifying people according to their skin color.

B O I

Around the Network
DarthMetalliCube said:

Wha? Where are you getting this assumption?

From my experience (at least in real life interactions), most of us Americans are no longer racist.. The only remaining racists in this country lie on the fringes of either the super old fogie conservatives who still cling to racism against non whites that was far more prominent 50-150 years ago, OR the crazy far left nuts (mostly millenials) who have taken a sort of reactionary position from white racism in the past and ironically become racists themselves but mainly become racist OF whites (because we're all apparently inherently "privileged," and larger % are apparently bigoted and thus deserve what all we get and aren't allowed to cry racism ourselves). Even though as a white man (well Italian Polish) I grew up in a lower-middle class family, am currently about 80k in debt, and despite applying to about 500 places in the past year and earning a masters degree, have yet to land a full time salaried job, I'm somehow inherently privileged because my skin tone has less melanin.

I have both sides of these schools of thought in my family which is immensely frustrating, but thankfully both of these extremes seem to be a dying breed (yes, even the more recent millenial anti-white racist phenomenon). The growing majority don't give a shit of the color of one's skin, ethnicity, gender, nor their heritage, and more seem to be placing more value on eachothers' character and ideas, which as a (mostly) libertarian definitely gives me some hope for this country.

Unfortunately its those 10% of loons that get all the attention, for one because they tend to be the loudest, being the most radical, but also because the media largely feeds this fire as it generates the most attention and thus the most revenue.

Oh god, did anyone read what I wrote? I'm not talking about the typical racism, where people openly say "I hate black people". I'm talking about caring too much about the skin color and using it as a means to define a person.

For example: "black culture". What does that tell me? Nothing at all! It's one thing to say like "christian culture", because being christian, a person will absorb the religion's culture and do things that the religion demands. You can say that Christmas is part of the "christian culture". But the term "black culture" makes no sense because black isn't an organization. Being black is just a genetic disposition that has nothing to do with one's behavior.

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
DarthMetalliCube said:

Wha? Where are you getting this assumption?

From my experience (at least in real life interactions), most of us Americans are no longer racist.. The only remaining racists in this country lie on the fringes of either the super old fogie conservatives who still cling to racism against non whites that was far more prominent 50-150 years ago, OR the crazy far left nuts (mostly millenials) who have taken a sort of reactionary position from white racism in the past and ironically become racists themselves but mainly become racist OF whites (because we're all apparently inherently "privileged," and larger % are apparently bigoted and thus deserve what all we get and aren't allowed to cry racism ourselves). Even though as a white man (well Italian Polish) I grew up in a lower-middle class family, am currently about 80k in debt, and despite applying to about 500 places in the past year and earning a masters degree, have yet to land a full time salaried job, I'm somehow inherently privileged because my skin tone has less melanin.

I have both sides of these schools of thought in my family which is immensely frustrating, but thankfully both of these extremes seem to be a dying breed (yes, even the more recent millenial anti-white racist phenomenon). The growing majority don't give a shit of the color of one's skin, ethnicity, gender, nor their heritage, and more seem to be placing more value on eachothers' character and ideas, which as a (mostly) libertarian definitely gives me some hope for this country.

Unfortunately its those 10% of loons that get all the attention, for one because they tend to be the loudest, being the most radical, but also because the media largely feeds this fire as it generates the most attention and thus the most revenue.

Oh god, did anyone read what I wrote? I'm not talking about the typical racism, where people openly say "I hate black people". I'm talking about caring too much about the skin color and using it as a means to define a person.

For example: "black culture". What does that tell me? Nothing at all! It's one thing to say like "christian culture", because being christian, a person will absorb the religion's culture and do things that the religion demands. You can say that Christmas is part of the "christian culture". But the term "black culture" makes no sense because black isn't an organization. Being black is just a genetic disposition that has nothing to do with one's behavior.

Oh I see.. I wouldn't label that as "racism" (ie people looking down on others based on race) so much as a sort of tribalism of this type of culture is different (but not less than) THAT type of culture.

I will grant you, it is odd though that despite Americans embracing our "melting pot" of races and ethnicity we do kind of have this attitude of pitting this culture vs THAT culture and comparing them, but I still contend that the vast majority doesn't view one as superior or inferior (at least these days) which is at least what I view as actual "racism".. I think in being a melting pot of so many cultures, there's almost a backlash of people retreating into their tribalistic nature and a desire to make comparisons amongst them, because that's part of what highlights our diversity in a strange way.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden

"Your skin color doesn't make you behave a certain way or say certain things."

This is true, but if people are divided and treated differently according to skin color it can lead to that. That can create different cultures, habits, neighbourhoods and things that are connected to the skin color. And those things won´t always change quickly.
Same for example things that are viewed as feminine and masculine, for example certain colors and professions might be now viewed as feminine/masculine, but they might have been the other way around before. The thread about men being less talkative than women is a good example of that.

The short answer to op is history.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Aeolus451 said:

Do you know what the definition of racist is? *shrugs Acknowledging the differences between different races and cultures is not racist. The US is a massive country and because of that we have different accents/slang/cultures on top of the American culture.

I'm not talking about acknowledging the difference between cultures. I'm talking about creating "races". Diving people based on their skin color and creating stereotypes following that. Using the video I mentioned before as an example: "Things Our Black Moms Would Say". This title makes no sense at all. The only thing a black mom would say that a white mom wouldn't say is "I'm black". Your skin color doesn't make you behave a certain way or say certain things. But the US seems obsessed with classifying people according to their skin color.

What? Races are real and they behave differently because of culture. They are different races because it's a nation of people who descended from immigrants thar came from different places in the world and we have new immigrants coming into the country. Each race is gonna have different experiences because of their culture and economic background. You don't know what racism is.

Around the Network

Why do people from countries with far more egregious human rights issues than the United States try to adopt a position of moral superiority when it comes to this topic? Is also a good question .

Brazil is probably at least as 'racist' as America but they are decades from even beginning to address an issue like this. America averages around 500 killings by police per year while Brazil is 3000.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_Brazil

That's what got the US where it is. It was literally built on racism. Some fine people in the mix, but still built by and on racism. Living in Indiana, one of the most racist states in the US, I still experience it often.

Last edited by Ljink96 - on 04 March 2018

Aeolus451 said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

What? Races are real and they behave differently because of culture. They are different races because it's a nation of people who descended from immigrants thar came from different places in the world and we have new immigrants coming into the country. Each race is gonna have different experiences because of their culture and economic background. You don't know what racism is.

No, races don't exist. That is an antiquated concept. What exists are ethnicities, "a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like" (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethnicity). Races are based on physical appearance, while ethnicities are based on behavior and culture. A black person that comes from Morocco will have a completely different background than a black person that comes from Mozambique. It makes no sense to say that both are of the same "race", and consequentially are culturally similar. There's no such thing as a "black race".

Yes, ethnicities behave differently according to each culture, but "races" don't. There is no "black culture". There is, though, "ambundu culture" and "berber culture".

B O I

As a fellow Latin American I agree with everything you've said. The difference is that the Spaniards and Portuguese that colonized Latin America were open to interracial marriage (No, it was not always rape) since most of them had Arab and Jewish roots while in the US this was shamed upon. While Latin America has lots of social problems including colorism, nationalism, superiorty complex. Racism is not one of them... Except maybe Argentina.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Aeolus451 said:

No, races don't exist. That is an antiquated concept. What exists are ethnicities, "a social group that shares a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like" (http://www.dictionary.com/browse/ethnicity). Races are based on physical appearance, while ethnicities are based on behavior and culture. A black person that comes from Morocco will have a completely different background than a black person that comes from Mozambique. It makes no sense to say that both are of the same "race", and consequentially are culturally similar. There's no such thing as a "black race".

Yes, ethnicities behave differently according to each culture, but "races" don't. There is no "black culture". There is, though, "ambundu culture" and "berber culture".

Actually, they do exist. Geographical races and biological differences between races exist. Science has more than one definition of it. I'm not talking about skin color. If you want to argue it, go read thru that thread on race being changed in schools in that state. If you actually read thru it some and still want to argue over  it then we can just agree to disagree. My point still stands on what you discribed as not being racist.