By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Why is the United States so segregated?

Compared to other western countries, the US doesn’t seem racist at all.

Around the Network

There's racism in all societies. Human beings are tribal creatures, no matter how "civilized" they claim to be. Singling out the United States is wrong.

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Flilix said:

Why would someone get asked what their race is?

First time I entered the US, they asked me to fill in a form, and one of the questions was what my ethnicity is. That's a fairly common question in forms, actually.

I get that they're asking what country you're from, but why would they be interested in your skin colour? That's just as useless as asking your shoe size.

Sure. Most of them damn racists voted in Obama. Pretty outrages claim.

OTBWY said:
There's racism in all societies. Human beings are tribal creatures, no matter how "civilized" they claim to be. Singling out the United States is wrong.

Yes, I know. But the US is the only one I know enough for me to comment on, and the contrast with the Brazilian society made me think about that. I'm not saying that racism is exclusive to the US, I know it isn't.

Flilix said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

First time I entered the US, they asked me to fill in a form, and one of the questions was what my ethnicity is. That's a fairly common question in forms, actually.

I get that they're asking what country you're from, but why would they be interested in your skin colour? That's just as useless as asking your shoe size.

I honestly have no idea. I mean, there must be a reason, I just don't know what it is.

B O I

Around the Network
ironmanDX said:
Sure. Most of them damn racists voted in Obama. Pretty outrages claim.

Did you even read the whole text or just the title? I used racist in this text as "someone who divides people into races", not as "someone who thinks some races are superior to others".

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:
Flilix said:

I honestly have no idea. I mean, there must be a reason, I just don't know what it is.

The US seems to be obsessed by race (both left and right people). A good way to reduce racism, would be to stop dividing people by skin colour.

Flilix said:
LuccaCardoso1 said:

The US seems to be obsessed by race (both left and right people). A good way to reduce racism, would be to stop dividing people by skin colour.

That's exactly what I'm trying to say this whole time. I'm using "racism" because it's the best word to define it, but what I mean is the US is obsessed with dividing people into races. Everyone treats skin color as if it was this super important and character-defining thing. And it has nothing to do with left and right, it has everything to do with the culture of the country.

B O I

LuccaCardoso1 said:

LMU Uncle Alfred said:
We’re all just a little bit racist.

That's unfortunately true. We have to try our best and minimize that part of us, though.

Flilix said:

Why would someone get asked what their race is?

Paatar said:

The majority of the USA is actually not bad. What you are seeing is the free media we have, and all the extremes; it’s what gets shared online the most because it’s one hell of a money maker. The topic of racism is always in the media’s best interest if they want more clicks.

But the biggest mistake I see people making, even for people who live in the USA is believing in the media. There are reliable sources out there, but they aren’t what the masses follow. It used to be the media’s job to get news out there, but then it really just turned into how do we make more money. 

That being said, yes, racism exists. Is it okay? No. But it will always exist and people need to learn to accept that bad things happen, and there will never be a utopia unless ruled under harsh regulations. Which would in turn, not make it a utopia. The culture is not to be racist, in day to day situations, you don’t enounter racism that often. And when you do, half the time someone is using the color of their skin to victimize them self based on a comment from someone that had nothing to do with their actual skin color. 

Aeolus451 said: 
There's certain segments of the US that are racist but the general population isn't. The only real difference between those segments is that some of them have power and some are entirely shunned for those beliefs.
PwerlvlAmy said: 
I don't see the U.S. as racist,but to each their own

Sorry, I don't think I was clear enough. This is much more of a historical question than it is a political one. My point is that the culture of the US is racist as it became normal to divide people into different races and attribute characteristics to each one of them. It became normal to say "Things Black Moms Say" or "black neighboorhood". Of course, people who say that aren't being racist, because this thing that was once racist became so embedded in the culture that it suddenly stopped being racist. It's kinda hard to explain to people that were raised in this culture, but I'm trying my best.

My question is how did that happen in a country based on immigration that has so many ethnicities? Why are the ethnicities so divided when the tendency was for them to get mixed (as it happened in Brazil)?

I'm not using racist here as "someone who thinks some ethnicities are superior", I'm using racist as "someone who divides people into races". And, in that sense, the US is racist. From that come terms that aren't offensive, but are racist, such as "white girl problems", "black culture", etc.

Do you know what the definition of racist is? *shrugs Acknowledging the differences between different races and cultures is not racist. The US is a massive country and because of that we have different accents/slang/cultures on top of the American culture.

Wha? Where are you getting this assumption?

From my experience (at least in real life interactions), most of us Americans are no longer racist.. The only remaining racists in this country lie on the fringes of either the super old fogie conservatives who still cling to racism against non whites that was far more prominent 50-150 years ago, OR the crazy far left nuts (mostly millenials) who have taken a sort of reactionary position from white racism in the past and ironically become racists themselves but mainly become racist OF whites (because we're all apparently inherently "privileged," and larger % are apparently bigoted and thus deserve what all we get and aren't allowed to cry racism ourselves). Even though as a white man (well Italian Polish) I grew up in a lower-middle class family, am currently about 80k in debt, and despite applying to about 500 places in the past year and earning a masters degree, have yet to land a full time salaried job, I'm somehow inherently privileged because my skin tone has less melanin.

I have both sides of these schools of thought in my family which is immensely frustrating, but thankfully both of these extremes seem to be a dying breed (yes, even the more recent millenial anti-white racist phenomenon). The growing majority don't give a shit of the color of one's skin, ethnicity, gender, nor their heritage, and more seem to be placing more value on eachothers' character and ideas, which as a (mostly) libertarian definitely gives me some hope for this country..

Unfortunately its those 10% of loons that get all the attention, for one because they tend to be the loudest, being the most radical, but also because the media largely feeds this fire as it generates the most attention and thus the most revenue.

Last edited by DarthMetalliCube - on 04 March 2018

"We hold these truths to be self-evident - all men and women created by the, go-you know.. you know the thing!" - Joe Biden