By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Amazon U.S. March bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion

Symbios63 said:
Pionner said:

Gamestop has the largest percentage for NPD. Followed by Walmart, Target, Bestbuy, Toys R Us, and Amazon.

I might have some places wrong. Also, Amazon's percentage has gone up i think. Aqua mentioned this before.

Thanks, this will help.

And I forgot about Toys R us...

Toys R us will soon become irrelevant though. I've heard it's gone bankrupt.

DON'T WIN ME CHIBI BUDDY DON'T WIN ME.

ANIMAL CROSSING NEW LEAF FRIEND CODE:- 5129 1175 1029. MESSAGE ME.
ANDY MURRAY:- GRAND SLAM WINNER!

In my opinion the N64 was not just the best console of the 5th gen but, to this day the best console ever created!

Around the Network
Symbios63 said:
Pionner said:

Gamestop has the largest percentage for NPD. Followed by Walmart, Target, Bestbuy, Toys R Us, and Amazon.

I might have some places wrong. Also, Amazon's percentage has gone up i think. Aqua mentioned this before.

Thanks, this will help.

And I forgot about Toys R us...

Toys R Us is closing all of its stores soon, so you shouldn't even bother.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

peachbuggy said:

Toys R us will soon become irrelevant though. I've heard it's gone bankrupt.

flashfire926 said:

Toys R Us is closing all of its stores soon, so you shouldn't even bother.

Ok thanks.

VGPolyglot said:

Well, people are tying to use the data for something that it doesn't claim to do. Amazon is accurate in tracking sales from Amazon.

Look, can we stop with this nonsense. The reason the Amazon threads have persisted all these years is because they're right nearly all of the time. It's only now, with a brand new console, that this large discrepancy has appeared. Yes, it appears that Amazon isn't a good indicator of the Switch positioning but it's always been a good indicator of the PS4/XB1 positions, which it got right in Feb. It may well become a decent indicator for the Switch too at some point so can you (and others) stop using this 'change' to suggest Amazon was never a good indicator. It's disrespectful to the people who put hard work into these threads and it's disingenuous. 

The PS5 Exists. 

Symbios63 said:
Ok, after some research, I could find online video game best seller rankings for : - Amazon, - Best Buy, - Gamestop, - Target, - Walmart. Did I miss any ?

I will work on something to find a way to mix those together in order to have fun trying to predict NPD in the future (and most likely fail...lol).

I will ask again : Do we have any information about the respective size of those retailers as far as gaming goods are concerned ? Even without hard numbers, maybe people living in the US would have an idea ?

Gamestop is #1 then Walmart #2 then I think it's close between target and Best buy for #3. Then Amazon. But Online stores Amazon is #1.

Around the Network
Pionner said:
So Amazon is possibly overstating Switch. If Abdiel still gave Bestbuy info, we would probably had some idea on who would win. Nobody expected PS4.

I wonder why he stopped posting his data. Hmmmmm.......

A Post of mine from 22nd of last month, I've been saying this for a long time only to be told multiple times its not the case

GProgrammer said:
Yes there is a Clear Bias towards Nintendo with Amazon, I'm sure most rational people see this. The more important question though I think is
Why is this? Why does the Amazon model fit more with peoples Nintendo buying habits than the other console companies?
Perhaps its because the console is smaller, that's a guess from me but probably not a good one, So what is it?

The thing is just to accept this bias and to take it into consideration when looking at the charts, my question still remains why do Nintendo customers use amazon more than the PS4/XB1 users?

GProgrammer said:
Pionner said:
So Amazon is possibly overstating Switch. If Abdiel still gave Bestbuy info, we would probably had some idea on who would win. Nobody expected PS4.

I wonder why he stopped posting his data. Hmmmmm.......

A Post of mine from 22nd of last month, I've been saying this for a long time only to be told multiple times its not the case

GProgrammer said:
Yes there is a Clear Bias towards Nintendo with Amazon, I'm sure most rational people see this. The more important question though I think is
Why is this? Why does the Amazon model fit more with peoples Nintendo buying habits than the other console companies?
Perhaps its because the console is smaller, that's a guess from me but probably not a good one, So what is it?

The thing is just to accept this bias and to take it into consideration when looking at the charts, my question still remains why do Nintendo customers use amazon more than the PS4/XB1 users?

Any apparent bias is very unlikely from people's buying habits, it is more likely it is from the interpretation of the data represented in the bestseller list. Many factors have been mentioned that more likely influence outcomes like SKUs going out of stock, multiple SKUs, presence of more interesting bundles at other outlets e.t.c.

GribbleGrunger said:
VGPolyglot said:

Well, people are tying to use the data for something that it doesn't claim to do. Amazon is accurate in tracking sales from Amazon.

Look, can we stop with this nonsense. The reason the Amazon threads have persisted all these years is because they're right nearly all of the time. It's only now, with a brand new console, that this large discrepancy has appeared. Yes, it appears that Amazon isn't a good indicator of the Switch positioning but it's always been a good indicator of the PS4/XB1 positions, which it got right in Feb. It may well become a decent indicator for the Switch too at some point so can you (and others) stop using this 'change' to suggest Amazon was never a good indicator. It's disrespectful to the people who put hard work into these threads and it's disingenuous. 

How is it disingenuous? It's the 100% truth.

Carl2291 said:

As a reminder -

CGI-Quality said:
Just giving some back up to the idea that if Amazon threads are unreliable - stay away. It is now a Thread Warning. Any post that heads back in that direction will be dealt with by a Moderator. The spirit of these threads is lessening and that is unfortunate. Equally, things like berating and gloating will also need to stop!

Let's keep it interesting for those that enjoy these topics. This will apply in all Amazon Threads from here on out.

Last warning.