By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - WHAT IF: The Wii U was compatible with DS/3DS games?

Tagged games:

What if the Wii U Gamepad a DS/3DS cartridge slot?

Wii U would have sold more consoles 4 36.36%

3DS would have sold more software 1 9.09%

Wii U & 3DS would have both done better 3 27.27%

No Impact on 8th Gen whatsoever 2 18.18%

Nintendo incurs even wors... 1 9.09%

Total:11

Historically, it's a nice little bonus that I've bought into a few times but in practice, I've never really been able to enjoy portable games on a large screen like I thought I would. Console games on the go seem to fare better.

Around the Network

A perhipheral would have sold quite a bit, especially with how much streaming and uploading have become.

I think it would have helped a bit

And lower 3DS sales as well

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Mandalore76 said:

Okay,

I       

What do you think?

Uhhhhh.....

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Darwinianevolution said:
It wouldn't have made any difference. The Super Game Boy didn't sell the SNES, and the GBA Adapter didn't sell the Gamecube. Physical DS/3DS compativility would have definitively been an amazing feature, but not one big enough to save the system.

He said built in not optional purchase

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
You might as well ask "What if Wii U was compatible with Wii games?".

I really shouldn't enter your threads anymore.

what if i told you it already was

Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda Muda!!!!

Jumpin said:
Mandalore76 said:  

What do you think?

Uhhhhh.....

Too many images?  

RolStoppable said:
You might as well ask "What if Wii U was compatible with Wii games?".

I really shouldn't enter your threads anymore.

Not the same question remotely.  Ignoring the fact that the Wii U already does this.  They are both home consoles, and playing one on the other is nothing more than a space saving convenience.  Had the Wii U been able to play 3DS cartridges, it would have opened the Wii U up with additional current gen software.  Not just previous gen games (even though I mention DS since it could be done using the same cartridge port, so why not?).  Think of the first 6 months of 2013 for Wii U coming out of it's first holiday.  There was no big, highly rated releases for Wii U in the first half of 2013 until Lego City, Need for Speed Most Wanted, and Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate came out in March.  And then pretty much drought again until the end of the summer while Ubisoft held back Rayman Legends for simultaneous release.  During that time, maybe Wii U owners who may or may not have had a 3DS could have been playing Fire Emblem: Awakening, Etrian Odyssey IV:  Legends of the Titan, Luigi's Mansion:  Dark Moon, Animal Crossing:  New Leaf, & Mario & Luigi:  Dream Team on their TVs.  If they weren't already 3DS owners, this is bonus software sales for Nintendo.  And in that event, maybe they like these games so much, they do start to crave to play them on the go in their portable nature.  Then, they go out and buy a 3DS, and that's bonus hardware sales for Nintendo as well.

Anyway, it's a What If scenario.  It's all hypothetical and purely intended for a fun discussion.

Switch games would not have sold as well as they have, due to competition from DS games.

There would have been confusion as to whether the console was replacing the WiiU or not.

Definitively wouldve giving me a longer play time with the system and I definitely would've bought some 3DS games