By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn sells 7.6 million copies in its first year.

JustThatGamer said:
Amazing numbers, really need to give Horizon a try. Also seeing how well this game has done I reckon God of War & The Last of Us 2 will easily sell 10m plus.

If you get it don't forget to pick up the 'Complete' edition which includes the DLC.

The PS5 Exists. 

Around the Network

Still need to buy my copy of the game.

Insane numbers for a new IP. Congrats to Guerrilla Games and Sony.

bubblegamer said:
Train wreck said:

Was going to write a more detailed response but then I read your comment history and its pretty much par for the course for you and Sony comments.  That's all that needs to be said.

Agreed. People think we don't notice their posting habits.

Goes the same way, naturally. Whatever "we" is.

I was actually looking forward to his response, actually. I think the game sold very well, especially for a new IP. What's wrong with saying special offerings and price cuts helped boost sales? 

JustThatGamer said:
Amazing numbers, really need to give Horizon a try. Also seeing how well this game has done I reckon God of War & The Last of Us 2 will easily sell 10m plus.

Those are pretty optimistic estimates. While TLoU2 should have the selling power to do above 10m in the long run (not all that "easily"), God of War has yet to be able to break into that kind of mass market, it seems to max out at ~5m - the new entry ofcourse could surprise me there.

DonFerrari said:
NoCtiS_NoX said:

Lol If only I didn't bother thinking on what to copy on the playstation blog. Mine would have been first but that's fine.

I got excited when I saw it. 7.8 Million is high! It's on par with UC4 now and this will continue to sell with bundling and discounts.
It's just a shame that GG will not do expansion DLC anymore. Hopefully with HZD 2 they will support it with post free DLC expansion and with couple more of paid DLC down the line. 
Also, I hope they put Multiplayer aswell. Where you can hunt with friends. I think that is a missed opportunity for GG. 

I prefer new games instead of stretching of current ones.

I prefer it too if they can release it fast. 

But it will help if we have expansion so the value of one game is prolonged. New area to explore and enemies to destroy. 
Also, the wait for the sequel won't be agonizing when there are post support after you finish it. 

EDit. 
Come one guys it's a celebratory thread no need for hostility.

Around the Network

Deserves every sale. Need to check out the expansion sometime.

Wow, never saw this coming. This also includes DLC, Frozen Wilds, right ?

NoCtiS_NoX said:
DonFerrari said:

I prefer new games instead of stretching of current ones.

I prefer it too if they can release it fast. 

But it will help if we have expansion so the value of one game is prolonged. New area to explore and enemies to destroy. 
Also, the wait for the sequel won't be agonizing when there are post support after you finish it. 

EDit. 
Come one guys it's a celebratory thread no need for hostility.

Yes it's good that they can use the assets to do good and fast content for us =] as long as it is either cheap or fells like a full game it's good.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

That's hella impressive! Congrats Guerilla games!

I still need to buy this game.

Barkley said:
pastro243 said:
Absolutely great sales, even more when you consider this is a new IP and previous games made by the developer didn't sell nearly as well as this one.

What are the biggest new IPs this gen?

Biggest exclusive new IP for each console.

Horizon Zero Dawn (PS4) - 7.6m
Tomodachi Life (3DS) - 6.14m
Splatoon (WiiU) - 4.91m
Titanfall (XBO) - 3.1m(Also on 360/PC....)
1-2-Switch (Switch) - 1.88m
Tearaway (Vita) - 0.69m*

Biggest new IP's combined platforms:

Destiny (PS3/360/PS4/XBO) - 16.2m* (includes Taken King)
Middle-Earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS3/PS4/360/XBO/PC) - 9.96m* (Also used steamspy for this figure, 4.4m on steam)
Watch Dogs (PS3/360/PS4/XBO/PC) - 9.58m*
Titanfall (XBO/360/PC) - 5.07m*

*VGC Figures, physical only

Overwatch is probably very high if not at the top of the list, but can't get PC figures which no doubt make up the majority of sales for that game, over 6.2m on console.

Rocket League should probably be on that list too. Sold almost 7 million on Steam alone according to Steamspy.