By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Horizon Zero Dawn sells 7.6 million copies in its first year.

Seems like the price cuts and special sales really helped it! Especially during the holidays.

Around the Network
Lafiel said:

well, there also is PUBG which started service in march 2017 and afaik surpassed 20m copies sold

Oops, yeah missed that one. Over 32m on steam according to steamspy. Which is far more than it deserves imo. xD

NoCtiS_NoX said:
think-man said:

I thought mine was first 

Lol If only I didn't bother thinking on what to copy on the playstation blog. Mine would have been first but that's fine.

I got excited when I saw it. 7.8 Million is high! It's on par with UC4 now and this will continue to sell with bundling and discounts.
It's just a shame that GG will not do expansion DLC anymore. Hopefully with HZD 2 they will support it with post free DLC expansion and with couple more of paid DLC down the line. 
Also, I hope they put Multiplayer aswell. Where you can hunt with friends. I think that is a missed opportunity for GG. 

I prefer new games instead of stretching of current ones.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Mar1217 said:
Train wreck said:

Really now, what insider gave you that information?

Anyway, awesome sales for a game that didn't even exist a year before.  Much deserved.

It's like you don't remember E3 flash sales, holiday sales + every so often got big discount. The game was on top during these months due to that. No need to be an insider, just observe Amazon and NPD threads.

If you just wanna point me as a downer, then do so. Fact is the game sold really well. Fact also is that legs are also due to heavy discounts and bundling.

Not a downer but something that the mods should look at.  With no identifiable information to back up your claim, you're just throwing nonsense out there to downplay the games success.  Pretty much a straight derail.

Only at vgchartz can discounting can be seen as a game doing badly...and now used to gague the success of a game, let alone a new IP.  Its insane.

OTBWY said:
Seems like the price cuts and special sales really helped it! Especially during the holidays.

Was going to write a more detailed response but then I read your comment history and its pretty much par for the course for you and Sony comments.  That's all that needs to be said.

Around the Network

Great news. Just finished Horizon two days ago, including the DLC. My favourite game from last year right now, and one of the best open world games I've played in a long time.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

Was going to write a more detailed response but then I read your comment history and its pretty much par for the course for you and Sony comments.  That's all that needs to be said.

Sure.

I picked up my copy once they released the complete edition. I guess quite a few others did the same.

Train wreck said:
OTBWY said:

Agreed. People think we don't notice their posting habits.

Mar1217 said:
Train wreck said:

Really now, what insider gave you that information?

Anyway, awesome sales for a game that didn't even exist a year before.  Much deserved.

It's like you don't remember E3 flash sales, holiday sales + every so often got big discount. The game was on top during these months due to that. No need to be an insider, just observe Amazon and NPD threads.

If you just wanna point me as a downer, then do so. Fact is the game sold really well. Fact also is that legs are also due to heavy discounts and bundling.

At the E3 sale it was discounted by $20, I wouldn't call that a "big" discount as it's just a regular discount that every game tends to get after being out for a few months. http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2017/06/13/playstation-store-sales-north-america-week-june-13-2017/#/slide/1

It wasn't until a few months ago that it got a "heavy discount": http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/23/playstation-store-black-friday-sale-has-horizon-zero-dawn-gt-sport-and-more-at-50-off-7104201/

But this isn't unusual, if you can say one game is selling because of discounts then we may as well say all games are selling because of discounts...Seen as all games get discounted at some stage. 

Also the bundle argument is hardly worth discussing, it's not like you only get 1 bundle to choose from.