By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - When will Switch LTD pass GameCube?

When will the Switch LTD pass the NCG

June 2018 7 8.97%

July 2018 11 14.10%

August 2018 19 24.36%

September 2018 14 17.95%

October 2018 7 8.97%

November 2018 7 8.97%

December 2018 3 3.85%

1st half 2019 3 3.85%

2nd half 2019 1 1.28%

It won't 6 7.69%

Total:78

Around E3.

Around the Network

I just want to say this and I don't know if it's off topic or not, I don't think it is because this thread is about sales but if it is, I apologize but...

...I only really look at marketshare when I'm thinking about sales performance because the console industry has and is changing too rapidly to compare raw figures. To compare the Gamecube and Switch is rather pointless because of just how large the industry is now compared to 2001.

A lot of people say the same thing about comparing sports legends of different eras. You can't compare them due to changes in the rules of the sport, PEDs etc. So the only way you can compare them is against the time in which they played. How dominant where they in their time versus how dominant the player in question is now.

This is why I only pay attention to marketshare because it's really the only way to compare two consoles from different generations when you're talking about dominance and even that is not a perfect science.

AlfredoTurkey said:

This is why I only pay attention to marketshare because it's really the only way to compare two consoles from different generations when you're talking about dominance and even that is not a perfect science.

Sure, but most of us aren't professional market analysts and we're not that serious (or scientific) about it. Sometimes we just do it for fun.

Technically speaking, from the company point of view, the accurate measure would the profit (adjusted for inflation, for the purpose of comparison), from both hardware and software.

tripenfall said:

According to VG Chartz the Nintendo GameCube sold 21.74 million units lifetime. 

As we all know, the Switch is riding a huge wave of momentum albeit with a current lack of AAA titles.

We all know the Switch will eventually surpass the GC but the question is when.....

The Switch is currently on 13.73 million units sold (according to VG Chartz) and selling heavily each week. 

14.5 million .

So it had what like 13 million at end of 2017. If it sells 1 million a month it'll pass gamecube by end of September. But it'll likely sell a bit better than 1 million a month before the holidays this year, so August is probably the most likely.

Around the Network
AlfredoTurkey said:
I just want to say this and I don't know if it's off topic or not, I don't think it is because this thread is about sales but if it is, I apologize but...

...I only really look at marketshare when I'm thinking about sales performance because the console industry has and is changing too rapidly to compare raw figures. To compare the Gamecube and Switch is rather pointless because of just how large the industry is now compared to 2001.

A lot of people say the same thing about comparing sports legends of different eras. You can't compare them due to changes in the rules of the sport, PEDs etc. So the only way you can compare them is against the time in which they played. How dominant where they in their time versus how dominant the player in question is now.

That's an interesting point you raise. If you look at it that was the market share of GameCube was fairly paltry due to the massive sales of the PS2. 

Oneeee-Chan!!! said:
tripenfall said:

According to VG Chartz the Nintendo GameCube sold 21.74 million units lifetime. 

As we all know, the Switch is riding a huge wave of momentum albeit with a current lack of AAA titles.

We all know the Switch will eventually surpass the GC but the question is when.....

The Switch is currently on 13.73 million units sold (according to VG Chartz) and selling heavily each week. 

14.5 million .

Yep 14.5 million on the home screen when when you enter platform totals 13.73 million is the figure. I decided to use the more conservative estimate but if 14.5 million is more accurate so be it.....

August

Well, it's definitely gonna happen this year, but exactly when, I'm thinking at least by October I feel.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

AlfredoTurkey said:

because of just how large the industry is now compared to 2001.

Is it that much bigger? Just look at 6th gen consoles vs 8th gen consoles and it seems as though the market it roughly the same size as it was in the early 00s.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.