By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Unleashed, best looking Wii title yet!?

darconi said:
Anyone put up comparative shots of Sonic and the Secret Rings side by side with the PS/360 sonic and Unleash?

Sonic the H. Sonic S.R.

Here you go for your viewing pleasure

Around the Network

I haven't read most of the thread but one thing to consider is that most Wii games to date have not been made with much of a focus on graphics and (typically) run at a silky smooth 60fps at 480p; in contrast many of the games people associate with "Next Generation" graphics on the PS3 and XBox 360 are (slightly) under 720p and (often) struggle to maintain a steady 30fps. If you looked at what the Wii could produce at 30fps at 480p, and then looked at what the PS3 and XBox 360 could produce at 720p/1080i at 60fps the overall difference in appearance between the two would probably not be that dramatic.

I for one am less interested in the graphics and more into "what will the gameplay be like" I'll probably will like it though, I have been with the sonic series since the sega genesis days, and i even love sonic heroes and Shadow the hedgehog What can i say, I am a bit of a Sega fan boy.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

Ok, this is what I think...

There is simple mesh in the game, a lot of simple mesh... (flap pannels everywhere)

Nice textures, but the leafs don´t look very High res texture, flat flowers, flat leafs...

I think that the Wii can move that, BUT, the light system is kinda weird...

I don´t know if the Wii can pull out that kind of soft shadows...

Mesh, highlighted by small (sorry) red lines...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."

yea you're right
what the hell are those red lines, they look like red laserbeams..

''Hadouken!''

Around the Network
Ajax said:
yea you're right
what the hell are those red lines, they look like red laserbeams..

I put them to highlight the edges of the meshes but they look really small here...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."
DMeisterJ said:
Naznatips just won four-thousand Wii Points.

Maybe.

I think the Wii version will look good, but those really look like PS360 shots. But if Sega did that good, great job!

But I doubt they are.

Since the game is coming to the PS2, I expect the Wii Version to be a PS2 port.

I didn't know they were making a PS2 port; that changes everything. They will definitely be using the PS2 version for the wii, and those screens are from the PS3/360 version. I really don't see them making a stand-alone version for what developers see as the "quick buck" console.

Looks like naznatips has a guaranteed win!

Onimusha12 said:

Who knows, its best not to fan the flames of debate anymore though.

If these are wii shots its not impossible that the resolution has been spiked for the sake of screen shots. Hasn't that been done before with Wii games?

They've been using that trick since the N64 days because alot of games look better in motion than in still pics, so in order to compensate the bump the resolution for print versions.

epsilon72 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Maybe.

I think the Wii version will look good, but those really look like PS360 shots. But if Sega did that good, great job!

But I doubt they are.

I didn't know they were making a PS2 port; that changes everything. They will definitely be using the PS2 version for the wii, and those screens are from the PS3/360 version. I really don't see them making a stand-alone version for what developers see as the "quick buck" console.

We've already been through this (you might not have read it, since it comes after that post), but Sega already has a Wii engine from Sonic and the Secret Rings, so it's more like the Wii version will have the main build (besides the build for 360/PS3), but that will be ported down to the PS2.

And I'm kind of torn. Those pictures look pretty nice, but at the same time, they don't look the top notch that the PS3/360 should have. Almost too good for the Wii, but not good enough for the 360/PS3. We're just have to wait and see. 

epsilon72 said:
DMeisterJ said:

Maybe.

But I doubt they are.

If you're not going to read the thread first you've no one to blame yourself. Since Sega already has the engine from Sonic and the Secret Rings, what reason would they have to just port the PS2 version? The Wii is their cash cow, they'd be foolsih not to put the most work into that version.

Only Western developers seem to use the PS2 version for the Wii port as a lazy solution.