By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Unleashed, best looking Wii title yet!?

The engine of this game has nothing to do with SATSR engine, this is a brand new multi platform engine sega has been working on for some years now.

The main development console for this game im almost sure is the wii, given the fact that its the middle range version of the game, and the one that has a much bigger sales potential

People keep bringing the multi platform games of the past generation , ps2 was the lead platform, then ported to the other consoles (gc xbox ) but the reason that happened was quite obvious, the ps2 had the higher sales potential so it was targeted as the main development platform , the other consoles got a identical version because it wasn't financially viable do make 3 versions of the same game

This game is in a similar situation the difference is that the hd consoles require a supped up version of the game, but not that different because this is a cartoony game that relies more on artistic design rather then graphical power

So to resume things this is how i see it, wii is lead platform, ps2 is gone have toned down version, hd consoles a supped up version

Around the Network
r3av3r2k1 said:
The engine of this game has nothing to do with SATSR engine, this is a brand new multi platform engine sega has been working on for some years now.

The main development console for this game im almost sure is the wii, given the fact that its the middle range version of the game, and the one that has a much bigger sales potential

People keep bringing the multi platform games of the past generation , ps2 was the lead platform, then ported to the other consoles (gc xbox ) but the reason that happened was quite obvious, the ps2 had the higher sales potential so it was targeted as the main development platform , the other consoles got a identical version because it wasn't financially viable do make 3 versions of the same game

This game is in a similar situation the difference is that the hd consoles require a supped up version of the game, but not that different because this is a cartoony game that relies more on artistic design rather then graphical power

So to resume things this is how i see it, wii is lead platform, ps2 is gone have toned down version, hd consoles a supped up version

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to accept that the Wii would be a lead platform for development , considering that the 360/PS3 are at the very least 4X as powerfull as the Wii (in comparison with the XBOX and GC only being slightly better than the PS2) 

LOL @ Wii being lead platform , can't be serious.

Million said:
r3av3r2k1 said:

I'm finding it incredibly difficult to accept that the Wii would be a lead platform for development , considering that the 360/PS3 are at the very least 4X as powerfull as the Wii (in comparison with the XBOX and GC only being slightly better than the PS2) 

The GC and XBox weren't only slightly better than the PS2.  The PS2 was ridiculously weak in comparison to either of them, but it had the most market share so it had the most games and was the lead dev console.  The Wii's just replacing it in every way.

Million said:
r3av3r2k1 said:

The Gamecube and XBox would have been 1.5 to 2 times as powerful as the PS2, and the Wii is (at least) twice as powerful as the Gamecube and yet developers used the PS2 as the base to produce many Wii games; on top of this XBox 360 and PS3 games are required to display at HD resolutions which (believe it or not) uses additional processing power.

@HappySquirel what's your point ? are you saying that displaying @ HD resolutions requires so much resourcces from the PS3 and 360 to the extent that high end Wii games will look similar graphicaly ? Please...

When nitnendo games look sucky Nintnedo fanboys cry about how they're not important , when the look worthwhile they start making comparisons to the 360 and PS3 and saying how the Wii could be used as lead platform , when will this end.

I'm not a techie so I can't provide technical information , but i'm sure even with the "imense strain" that displaying HD resolutions puts on the hardware , it still far surpasses anything the Wii is capable of.

@The Ghost , are you tryna say the gap betwen the PS2 >GC,XBOX is similar to the gap between WII>PS3,XBOX360 because if your are I think you should just stop.

Around the Network

Being a lead platform in not all about graphics you know

just thing beyond the graphics, think about gameplay, and that's were the wii plays an important part, if this had the 360 as a lead platform they would have to waste too much time with the controls for the wii version, that would delay the game has the wii is going to be the main portion of sales for this game or you think the hd consoles will sell more sonic games then the wii ??'

and remember what is the most common complaint with sonic games is it its graphics or the gameplay ??

Sega is fooling everyone with these screen shots. Those are not the real in game screen shots. So just calm down and wait for videos of the game before talking. Maybe SEGA will show the game off at E3.

If those are Wii's graphics and they look like this in-game AND runs at a steady frame rate, then this will obviously open up a lot of possibilities.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Besides, this is a SEGA game let alone Sonic. The gameplay is probably horrid.

Generation 8 Predictions so far.....(as of 9/2013)

Console that will sell most: Nintendo Wii U

Who will sell more consoles between Microsoft/SONY: SONY

Million said:

@HappySquirel what's your point ? are you saying that displaying @ HD resolutions requires so much resourcces from the PS3 and 360 to the extent that high end Wii games will look similar graphicaly ? Please...

When nitnendo games look sucky Nintnedo fanboys cry about how they're not important , when the look worthwhile they start making comparisons to the 360 and PS3 and saying how the Wii could be used as lead platform , when will this end.

I'm not a techie so I can't provide technical information , but i'm sure even with the "imense strain" that displaying HD resolutions puts on the hardware , it still far surpasses anything the Wii is capable of.

@The Ghost , are you tryna say the gap betwen the PS2 >GC,XBOX is similar to the gap between WII>PS3,XBOX360 because if your are I think you should just stop.

My point is that your argument is flawed and that processing power has never determined what is the leading platform for development. Because of the additional processing power requirements to display HD graphics it is reasonable to say that the difference in processing power from the PS2 to the Wii is similar to the difference in processing power from the Wii to the PS3/XBox 360.

For a game like Sonic the Hedgehog, which will probably have its best sales on the Wii (due to the size of the Wii's userbase and sales of previous Sonic games on the Wii) it makes sense that the Wii would be the primary platform for development; at the same time Sega is probably not in a position to abandon support for the PS3 or XBox 360, so it makes sense to produce an enhanced port for the PS3 and XBox 360.

Why is this so hard to understand?

We know how "absolutely amazing" *gag* sonic games have been lately. So even if this is the best looking game on the Wii, it probably wont be the best playing one.