By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Sonic Unleashed, best looking Wii title yet!?

Repeating for the new page in the interest of fairness:

BCNR and Onimusha this is your last warning. Drop the argument. That goes for everyone. If you continue this argument, you will be banned. The topic is the screens in question and the graphical quality of this game on the Wii.

Around the Network
hsrob said:
Please guys can we get back on topic.

I'd firstly like readers to cast their mind back to F Zero GX. Anyone who's seen this game run in 480p and on a nice big wide screen TV will have no doubt that Sega has some talented people in the graphics department. (not sure about the details of the different teams though)

And while the screens do look very nice and a step above most things on the Wii i don't actually believe they are ps3/Xbox 360 level. A close look at the fourth pic from the first group shows a fairly low polygon count on some of the surfaces.

You see, this is an excellent post, because it explains what he thinks are the reason for it to be a Wii game.

Other people just said the Wii isnt capable and the Graphics suck.

Well IMO this is a Wii game, since theres no way a PS3/360 game looks like that. Check the leafs on the side of the road, they are just like a wallpaper, no texture at all. And sonic has jaggies also around him.

Proud poster of the 10000th reply at the Official Smash Bros Update Thread.

tag - "I wouldn't trust gamespot, even if it was a live comparison."

Bets with Conegamer:

Pandora's Tower will have an opening week of less than 37k in Japan. (Won!)
Pandora's Tower will sell less than 100k lifetime in Japan.
Stakes: 1 week of avatar control for each one.

Fullfilled Prophecies

Sigh, and all I tried to do was bring peace to the situation. Anyway, I digress. I don't see how these graphics are impossible for the Wii though I would rather people wait for actual information to be released.

The real question though is whether or not this game will live up to the glory of Sonic which 3D Sonic games have yet to achieve. I know the new 2.5D format has many excited but can Sega really deliver on this? Will Sega learn from its mistakes in Sonic and the Secret Rings?

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. If this doesn't turn out to be Sonic's saving grace, how many times will that be us fooled?

Oh, btw, how do these graphics stack up to the Sonic the Hedgehog remake for the Ps3/360, shouldn't that clear things up?

trestres said:
hsrob said:

I'd firstly like readers to cast their mind back to F Zero GX. Anyone who's seen this game run in 480p and on a nice big wide screen TV will have no doubt that Sega has some talented people in the graphics department. (not sure about the details of the different teams though)

And while the screens do look very nice and a step above most things on the Wii i don't actually believe they are ps3/Xbox 360 level. A close look at the fourth pic from the first group shows a fairly low polygon count on some of the surfaces.

You see, this is an excellent post, because it explains what he thinks are the reason for it to be a Wii game.

Other people just said the Wii isnt capable and the Graphics suck.

Well IMO this is a Wii game, since theres no way a PS3/360 game looks like that. Check the leafs on the side of the road, they are just like a wallpaper, no texture at all. And sonic has jaggies also around him.

I think the resolution alone proves that these specific screens aren't of the Wii version (Wii doesn't do above 480p). There is a debate on if the Wii version will be of this quality, but as I said I expect it to be above Sonic and the Secret Rings but not of this level. Hence the bet I made.

So how do these graphics stack up to the Sonic the Hedgehog game for the PS3/360?

Around the Network
hsrob said:

Well, to make a jump like that AND be in 720p would be quite a feat.

And remember, Sonic for the ps3/360 didn't look so hot:

Screen shots can be decieving, I know Metroid Prime 3 screen shots would give the illusion to most onlookers that it was more than 480p, but maybe that's just me.

This thread is getting amazing. I'm gonna have to go buy some more sake for this. Yeah, I just aced a Japanese test for the first time in a while today, and I'm celebrating with some sake and making crazy drunken bets on the internet. What are you gonna do about it? ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN ON VGC!!!!

I love the people saying the shots aren't even good. Yeah they're good. They look great. If those shots are Wii shots, they're some of the best on the Wii so far, just like Sonic and the Secret Rings was at the time. If they're not, whatever. But to say those are ugly for any system is insane. What the hell do you want out of game graphics?

At least Sonic's not making out with humans in this game. Instead he's turning into a badass wolf and it's like a cross between Sonic and the Secret Rings and Sonic Rush. I really enjoyed both those games. This new one will be heaven unless they really fuck it up.

If you haven't played Sonic and the Secret Rings, it's worth a rental. You can beat it in a day or two, and it plays like the bonus rounds from Sonic 2.

Who knows, its best not to fan the flames of debate anymore though.

If these are wii shots its not impossible that the resolution has been spiked for the sake of screen shots. Hasn't that been done before with Wii games?

Personally, I believe the Wii could pull off this level of detail at 30fps. Nothing is *too* detailed, most of the buildings have a fairly low poly count, etc. The trees especially lead me to believe that this could be done on Wii... Those trees remind me of playing my N64

The dynamic lighting is nice, but nothing that I don't think the Wii can handle.

That draw distance could be fairly impressive for a Wii game. MP3 had huge draw distances in Skyworld by cutting back significantly on what they put in the world; its impressive, but sparse. SMG does the same thing. These shots look like they may be more fleshed-out than either of those games, with a similar draw distance, which would be impressive. However, because it is done in 2.5d that does give them *some* leeway to fudge it a little bit.

I am giving this a strong maybe for Wii-level graphics. 70-80% I'd guesstimate.

Please, PLEASE do NOT feed the trolls.
fksumot tag: "Sheik had to become a man to be useful. Or less useful. Might depend if you're bi."

--Predictions--
1) WiiFit will outsell the pokemans.
  Current Status: 2009.01.10 70k till PKMN Yellow (Passed: Emerald, Crystal, FR/LG)