By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - How do you feel about X in your country?

I only see guns on policemen (and women).
Apart from that just once, I was in a gun and archery range and spotted one (surprising I know...).
I was there for archery.

Health care is pretty good. I'm rarely sick so I don't use these service much at all but I have some close work colleagues that have chronic (but certainly not terminal) illnesses. They often need to visit a doctor or go to a hospital. One of them gets a syringe every two or four weeks. Each shot costs multiple thousands of Euro. How else would he be able to get that treatment?

Around the Network

Australia here

Health Care is very good overall, free if you don't mind waiting, a lot is subsidised, particularly medication

Education is virtually free in the Public school system, and the standard is generally high

Gun control is very good, but could be better/stricter, as a generalisation Australians generally dislike guns, but some need to use them for work/sport

Prison system needs improvement, particular for indigenous offenders and rehabilitation in general

Jobs are generally easy to find if your willing to put the effort in

The cities are very clean and well maintained, with very good amenities and parks

The natural landscape is generally well looked after and respected, but effort is always needed in education and management

Food is of a very high standard, much of it can be sourced locally from pristine environments  

People are friendly for the most part, and enjoy events together without too much incident

Politics is not often taken personally between friends and family and it is seen as not worth losing friends over, all eligible Australians have to vote which generally reduces extreme politics, or if it does pop up it's influence is reduced next election

Animals are very respected particular pets, which have a ton of regulation around their care

Religion is tolerated, but not well practiced, last census about 60% of Australians claimed they have no religion

Australians love sport, and they supported same sex marriage  

Last edited by Rab - on 05 March 2018

The USA is a very bad, unfriendly place to live, lots of violence and people live in fear. European nations, Canada, New Zealand, Australia are far better places to live than the USA because they are friendly, easy going countries with less violence than the USA. Most nations in this world are more friendly, easy going nations with less violence than the USA. USA is one of the most dangerous, unfriendly places to live and there are so many violent crimes being committed in the USA. People have the right to be defensive in the USA, because they live in a chronic state of panic, fear and anxiety of living in a dangerous country.

Healthcare in the US is great in terms of quality, but way too expensive. This is squarely the fault of government, who drives up the prices with regulations that dictate every tiny detail. I'd like government to stay completely out of it, so that more Americans could afford the great healthcare that exists here.

As for gun control, I think the US is in decent shape. There's a little more infringement on one's right to bear arms than there should be. But, in comparison with much of the rest of the world, we're in good shape here.

Mar1217 said:
Marach said:
well, canada, specifically Quebec, because some of those issues are managed at a provincial level

How is healthcare. In canada we get free healthcare for almost all our needs. which would made a pretty boring Breaking Bad serie in canada, because it would last one episode : -hey you got cancer. -wow th'at's pretty bad what i can do ? -Here's your appointement for your first treatment, it's free.

however, it's free for the user, but of course we pay for it collectively. so in Quebec we pay around 30% taxes on our salary, plus a 15% sale tax for everything you buy.

and it's not perfect. the waiting at the emergency is about 10 to 18 hours, waiting list for some procedure can be months of not years. the medical system is sucking more and more money every year. And lately we have a prime minister and 2 of the most important minister that are doctors. and in the last few years, the doctor salary have go sky high, while other ressources like nurses are getting more and more jobs and less time to do it. we do more with less and the system is getting exausted.

Hello ! Fellow Québécois !

The tax system on our salary goes on different level of imposition. You got high salary who get most tax % in our system and the those at 11K (CAN$) who doesn't have to pay taxes on their salary.

As you said, our healtcare and some social services have been struggling these last years due to cuts (Austerity) or reform made by our neoliberalist governement who then goes to enrich the most wealthy of our society. Wouldn't be surprising  if their end goal was to privatize all of these services so that they don't have to do much afterward. 

Though, they've been recently investing into social programs such as services concerning our public kindergarten, education (Universities) and ... I don't remember the rest ... but the elctions are coming soon so these are just candies to try and make us forget the first and horrible 2 years the province lived through with the austerity.

P.S: Like Nem said, austerity doesn't work.

I mean, Quebec *does* spend its surplus. 

Eventually, you *do* need to reduce debt to gdp. *Net* debt is currently still at 46% - for a sub-national institution, that is quite a lot. If not now, when the economy is prosperous, what do you suggest? We need the capacity to spend liberally during a crisis.

Bet with PeH: 

I win if Arms sells over 700 000 units worldwide by the end of 2017.

Bet with WagnerPaiva:

I win if Emmanuel Macron wins the french presidential election May 7th 2017.

Around the Network
Locknuts said:
Gun control here in Australia is ok, but they go overboard with classes of firearm that are banned. For example you can get a lever-action shotgun, but not a pump action shotgun. Either one is going to blow a hole in something at a similar rate. To have a pistol you need to complete a certain number of competition shoots per year, and pepper spray is even banned! Forget having a taser too. Or a baton. I feel for the people of Melbourne who are being attacked by African gangs and can't defend their homes.

Also, I hate how people look to Australia as a solution to America's gun problems. It's a totally different situation here (less guns than people in circulation for example) and we have a different constitution. Our PM Malcolm Turnbull said as much during his visit and he's right.

Not only that... But Australia is surrounded by Ocean... A natural barrier.
It's significantly more difficult to smuggle anything here.

For me though...
* Happy about Healthcare. - We rank highly in most aspects.
* Happy about Infrastructure. - Internet could be better though.
* Happy about the standard of living. - Shit is all clean yall.
* Happy about Job opportunities.
* Happy about our Education system.
* Happy about security. - Gun control has proven to be effective.
* Happy with Welfare.
* Happy with Immigration.

And because of that... We are attracting more wealthy migrants than any other country, even the USA.

However... Overall, it's hard to complain, we are the lucky country, would be great if many aspects like Infrastructure, education, health, welfare weren't under constant attack by the far-right/conservatives though.

You visit a nation like the United States, the first thing you see is the airports which feel very archaic and in decline. Roads aren't much better.

--::{PC Gaming Master Race}::--

Dark_Lord_2008 said:
The USA is a very bad, unfriendly place to live, lots of violence and people live in fear. European nations, Canada, New Zealand, Australia are far better places to live than the USA because they are friendly, easy going countries with less violence than the USA. Most nations in this world are more friendly, easy going nations with less violence than the USA. USA is one of the most dangerous, unfriendly places to live and there are so many violent crimes being committed in the USA. People have the right to be defensive in the USA, because they live in a chronic state of panic, fear and anxiety of living in a dangerous country.

Where the hell do you live at? south side Chicago? In Indiana people are friendly, crime is not rampant, hell the only time I've locked the door to my home (whether awake, asleep, or away) was for a period after a bad break-up with a girlfriend.

I own a few guns but not really for self defense, more along the lines of animal defense.  We have coyotes and if I see one in my yard I'll either set off some firecrackers (I keep those close to the outside door)  or on very rare occasion I'll take a shot at one.  Raccoons and opossums regularly come up on my porch and will eat the cat's food.  I'll chase them off the first couple of times but if they persist I will shoot them.

Healthcare could be better but I've no complaints.  If you go to the emergency room they cannot turn you away even if you can't pay. 

Brazil here

1. Healthcare. It´s just shitty. We have universal health care in public hospitals/clinics but the service is horrendous in almost every place. Very very long lines and looooong waits for a simple consultation. Hospitals are always overcrowded and sometimes they lack basic equipment. My mother needs to visit the orthopedist every month but we must make appointments for each consultation two months in advance.
All the expenses of our public healthcare system are paid with taxes money, which are not low by any means. We spend about 39% of our income in taxes.
Private healthcare is expensive as hell, just for the rich. For most people it´s not an option. Fortunately, many companies offer it as monthly benefits, or as part of our monthly salary.

2. Gun control
Just as shitty as our public healthcare system. There are very strict laws for gun ownship, there are not many places here that sell guns (I personally don´t know any), but there are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of guns in the hands of criminals of every type... thieves, drug dealers, robbers, corrupt politicians etc etc etc. So people can get guns in the black market (smuggling) very easily here. Gun control only works for profesional who actually need a gun to do their jobs, like policemen, security agents etc.

Love the US. Very cool place to live. People are friendly when you have the guts to talk to them. If you work hard you can have a decent life. Healthcare could be cheaper though. US should try to lower prescription drug costs.

Dark_Lord_2008 said:

You clearly know nothing about the USA.  I don't really know what to say other than this is completely false.  Americans are generally considered to be among the friendliest people on earth.  There is very little violent crime in 99.9% of the country, and very few people live in fear.   

After reading this again, I think you're just trolling.