By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - Delta and United join list of companies to cut ties with the NRA - maybe this truly is the end of gun rights in the US?

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

Anyone can have a moment of insanity given enough anger. This isn't the case of only a few people. It's everyone. Guns are not something for civilians to have.

I thought you were going to apologize after I had read your first sentence. Turned out that you didn't refer to your behavior in this thread.

Rol, your antics aren't gonna help you this time, this is no joking matter. You enable murder with your position, there's no escaping it. Guns are for killing. Theres no other function.

Around the Network
o_O.Q said:
loy310 said:

The south and king going bankrupt won those wars

well if you are going to deny history, then what's the point?

Ok, person that worte the book on history, please point me to the bullet that won those wars, its should be in a museum some where right?

"This was the bullet and weapon that won this war"

foh

Dont think there is a war on this planet that guns alone won. From what i can recall most wars end cause someone went bankrupt or someone realized it aint worth it, not because of gun.

Also, are we at war with children in schools? I get that we need guns to fight in wars but what war are we waging against children?

Last edited by loy310 - on 25 February 2018

spurgeonryan said:

Two major airlines. A cybersecurity firm. Six car rental brands. A home security company. An Omaha bank. Companies have scrambled to cut ties with the National Rifle Association over the past couple of days, and the list continued to grow into the weekend.

Delta Air Lines (DAL) announced Saturday morning that it's ending discounted rates for NRA members. "We will be requesting that the NRA remove our information from their website," the company said in a tweet.

United Airlines (UAL) followed a short time later, saying the company will no longer offer discounts on flights to the NRA annual meeting.

And TrueCar (TRUE), a car buying service, said late Friday that it would end its deal with the NRA as of February 28.

The companies were the latest to abandon partnerships with the NRA amid a renewed public debate over tightened gun laws following a school shooting in Florida last week that left 17 dead.

First National Bank of Omaha on Thursday pledged to stop issuing an NRA-branded Visa card. A bank spokesperson said "customer feedback" prompted a review of its partnership with the NRA, and it chose not to renew its current contract.

There was also a wave of car rental outfits. Enterprise Holdings, which runs the Enterprise, Alamo and National car rental groups, announced that it will end the discount deal it has with the NRA on March 26.

On Friday, car rental company Hertz (HTZ) said in a tweet that it's also ending its NRA rental car discount program.

Read rest at Source: http://money.cnn.com/2018/02/23/news/companies/enterprise-nra-car-rental-discounts/index.html

I think the government wants us to lose our gun rights. That way as soon as they can they will have total control of us. Only reason we have any freedom in America is due to guns. There are ways to handle this, sometimes when I see how easy it is to get a gun I laugh. Just fix the laws.

Do you seriously believe a word of what you just wrote?  I've owned guns for 38+ years and am a strong believer in the 2nd amendment.  Having common sense gun laws is in no way an infringement of the 2nd amendment.  If you seriously believe that the right to own an AR15 is more important then children's safety, then you need counseling.  There are no more on the "Left" that want to take the 2nd amendment away then there are people on the "Right" that want to arm 12 year olds with automatic weapons.  People need to chill a little and try to find common ground.

Stop hating and start playing.

o_O.Q said:
Nem said:

What the utter hell? You live in a democracy, albeit a flawed one. You think you with your gun are gonna take down the US highly trained and equipped military? Really?! And for this you will enable mass murders in a monthly basis? Who is being infantile here?

Death happens yes, murder can be reduced.

Dude, this isn't the middle ages. You are independant and have the worlds biggest military. Your weapon is your vote. A gun will just get you killed.

"And for this you will enable mass murders in a monthly basis?"

england and france have gun control and they've had just about the same number of mass murders last year... so what's your point?

"Death happens yes, murder can be reduced."

true if you wanted to completely eradicate murder you actually could... you'd just have to enslave the entire community completely

or you could be sensible and accept that the individuals of a society in exchange for a reasonable amount of freedom must take on an appropriate amount of responsibility for their safety as a result

what i do know is that you cannot have freedom without responsibility

"Dude, this isn't the middle ages. You are independant "

yes exactly and that's the point how did countries like france and america progress towards being relatively free societies?

in france the people rose up and cut the heads of those in charge because they were tyrannical

the same type of battle occurred with the colonists in america

and that is the core of this issue, that the people should always be prepared to fight for their freedom if their government becomes tyrannical

not as you are suggesting adopt the mentality of slaves because things at present aren't quite that severe yet

So, you say, defending Anarchy once more. Let the children die, we are gonna overthrow the worlds best military with our pee shooters!

It's delusion comparable to Religion.

Also, i lol at your lies. https://www.snopes.com/dunblane-school-shootings-ban/

I want gun rights to stay. Just don't give guns to those with mentally problems, criminals and those reported to the FBI.

Around the Network
Nem said:
captain carot said:

It's actually easy in parts of Europe. Gun law is national law after all. Belgium got a strict firearm law 12 years ago, Finland still is relatively lax as is Switzerland.

Even how the police is armed depends on every nation (or federal state in Germany). Most british officers don't have a fire arm at all as far as i know. And it works, at least until today.

I'm pretty sure that even the most "lax" ones are extremely strict compared to the US ones. Though i guess there were shootings in that region recently, so it's more proof of concept.

Honestly, if your case is that a proper educational systeme helps, i can agree with that. That definitly doesn't help the US.

At the end of the day, the problem we get to in the US is that the system makes politicians corrupt as they are bought by companies and their "donations". That is the root problem.

Having no control is pretty stupid i think. It's been shown in many ways over the years that the american system doesn't work in terms of firearms. Just put accidents in and you see why.

As said before, you need a driving license even in the US (though getting it really is a joke in many states) but you don't really need a license for guns. At least nothing that is worht the name.

But the main problem is the american mentality towards guns, not laws alone. That mentality is very different from what you usually see in middle or western Europe.

the-pi-guy said:
Nem said:

Ryan... honestly... we have no gun rights in europe. Do you think we have no freedom? (aquisition is highly regulated)

Why do some americans think this way? That is utterly ridiculous. Are you planning a revolution and that's why you want guns? Why are you defending Anarchy?

It's so backwards that i don't even know what to say. How can people not see that? Civilians don't need guns. You are living in a developed country. You are safe. All the easy to get guns do is make it easy for people to kill each other everytime they get angry at something. It's not civilised. It's not the wild west anymore.

Do you really need to sacrifice a bunch of children to the slaughter every year just to keep your illusion that with your gun you can go take down the government? This is utter lunacy!

It's largely because people in the US are convinced of it by their media (social media and fox news.)  

It helps that there are a few huge examples like the revolutionary war that people think we owe guns our freedom.  

o_O.Q said:

"Guns don’t make you free, nor do they protect your freedom"

the war for independence?

the civil war?

Many countries became independent from Britain without a war.  So at best, the US war for independence only made it happen sooner than it otherwise would have.  

Civil war doesn't really make sense.  Both sides had guns.  And the side that was "fighting for it's (messed up) freedoms" lost.    

One could make the argument that the South would have had freedom longer if they didn't have guns.   The Civil War didn't start until after the South attacked the North.

There are plenty of countries that didn't have to fight a war for their freedom.

In 2018 though, your guns don't protect your freedom.  

If the US government wanted to take your freedom away, there's absolutely nothing that could be done about it.  The US spends many billions on weapons every year.  They have bombs, unmanned drones, and much more.  

"Many countries became independent from Britain without a war.  So at best, the US war for independence only made it happen sooner than it otherwise would have.  "

solely because it was not in britains benefit to control them in the same fashion... if it had been then nothing would have changed unless those countries fought for their independence

"Civil war doesn't really make sense.  Both sides had guns.  And the side that was "fighting for it's (messed up) freedoms" lost."

suppose the north didn't have guns and the south did?

"In 2018 though, your guns don't protect your freedom.  "

because human behavior has changed?

"If the US government wanted to take your freedom away, there's absolutely nothing that could be done about it.  The US spends many billions on weapons every year.  They have bombs, unmanned drones, and much more.  "

well that's your mindset to adopt the mentality of a serf and just accept whatever may come your way passively

but you have to understand that there are people who have a different mindset and are instead willing to fight for their freedom if they perceive that they are being oppressed by whatever authority figures hold control

the argument you just presented though could have been level at the peasants in france when they revolted

"why bother man, the monarchs have all the weapons and power and wealth and stuff lets just sit back and accept the abuse, being a slave isn't that bad man"

RolStoppable said:
Nem said:

Rol, your antics aren't gonna help you this time, this is no joking matter. You enable murder with your position, there's no escaping it. Guns are for killing. Theres no other function.

You should reread the conversation. You got upset over my position and then proceeded to post a rebuttal that supports my position.

No, you just assumed that crazy people is a limited ammount of people, but everone has the capability of going crazy given enough leverage and anger. All of us are a potencial crazy person. Wich is why the less people are armed the better.

Good. American society is clearly not ready for so-called gun "rights". Best to reduce them to gun privileges like just about the rest of the developed world.

Nem said:
o_O.Q said:

"And for this you will enable mass murders in a monthly basis?"

england and france have gun control and they've had just about the same number of mass murders last year... so what's your point?

"Death happens yes, murder can be reduced."

true if you wanted to completely eradicate murder you actually could... you'd just have to enslave the entire community completely

or you could be sensible and accept that the individuals of a society in exchange for a reasonable amount of freedom must take on an appropriate amount of responsibility for their safety as a result

what i do know is that you cannot have freedom without responsibility

"Dude, this isn't the middle ages. You are independant "

yes exactly and that's the point how did countries like france and america progress towards being relatively free societies?

in france the people rose up and cut the heads of those in charge because they were tyrannical

the same type of battle occurred with the colonists in america

and that is the core of this issue, that the people should always be prepared to fight for their freedom if their government becomes tyrannical

not as you are suggesting adopt the mentality of slaves because things at present aren't quite that severe yet

So, you say, defending Anarchy once more. Let the children die, we are gonna overthrow the worlds best military with our pee shooters!

It's delusion comparable to Religion.

Also, i lol at your lies. https://www.snopes.com/dunblane-school-shootings-ban/

"So, you say, defending Anarchy once more. Let the children die, we are gonna overthrow the worlds best military with our pee shooters!"

stop saying anarchy, all that does is demonstrate that you have no clue what the word means

and as i said suggesting that taking away all the guns from a society will "save the children" is a pretty stupid argument dude

"Also, i lol at your lies. https://www.snopes.com/dunblane-school-shootings-ban/"

you missed my point because you're laboring under the delusion that guns are the only tools that can be used to kill people

"It's delusion comparable to Religion."

most of the delusional people i've interacted with recently have been atheists... so i don't get the point of posting this but whatever

the assumption that because somebody rejects religion that they automatically have a better chance of becoming rational is one of the most amusing notions i've been seeing recently but i digress