By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 27 January 2018

PEEPer0nni said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Rol is European and he's decided that Switch is awesome. That's pretty compelling evidence to me

Isn't he the guy that didn't touch a non-nintendo console for like 10 years? I've seen his 2006 posts and he still didn't change. 

Good job hes here simce 2007

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Around the Network
RolStoppable said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Would you take 2 bullets for them though?

Of course, man. Of course.

I don't doubt this for a second :P

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

In other words, Microsoft should have been building up their 1st party studios over the last decade rather than carving themselves into basically just Halo/Gears/Forza developers.

That line of logic isn't really sound when you consider that in the last few years Sony closed a bunch of their studios and put increased emphasis on buying up marketing deals for third party games.

Sure it is, i dont see how Sony closing down a few studios in the last few years means Microsoft shouldn't hsve invested more in 1st party studios during the 360 years.

Regardless, Sony has close to a dozen 1st party studios making AA-AAA titles while Microsoft has like 4.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

RolStoppable said:

The point is that Microsoft scaled down investment in all areas that can help console sales. It's not a matter of "they should have invested more into this area instead of that other area", but rather that the Xbox division needed more funds from Microsoft's bosses to begin with.

My comments about Sony were meant to show that Sony has adopted more of a Microsoft strategy this generation with a shift towards more marketing deals rather than investments in first party development. The number of PS4 first party game releases compared to PS3 hasn't really suffered, but that's because Sony exited the handheld market and is back to supporting only one console.

I simply don't agree with you one that theory that sony isn't investing as much on their own first party. They are supporting one console cause they were bleeding money on the Vita, hell they couldnt even support it with enough decent software which is one of the reasons it failed. Sony downsized on a lot of things company wide.... they became more focused. And it has worked wonders for them. 

As for MS, i dont really know (nor care) why what went wrong went wrong, all I was saying is that their problem can't be fixed in 2-3yrs in response to what someone was saying. I also don't even believe that the problem with the XB division has anything to do with getting more funds. We are talking about the company whose gaming division (aka Xbox) just spent billions buying minecraft. That kinda money could literally be spent building or acquiring like 10 studios. And had them all in the oven building games for the XB2 in 2020 and onwards. Instead they spent it all on one IP....... thats MS for you right there.

Microsoft didn't do anything bad with this generation, they only sold a lot of Xbox 360 because of the high priced PS3. With Sony selling their PS4 cheaper than the Xbox One at the begining, consumers trusted Sony again, just like during the PS2 era. And the Xbox One is doing regular and predictible Xbox sales (just like the original Xbox).

The next generation will be no different.

Around the Network

Surprised the PS4 only outsold the Switch by 3k with MHW in NA. But PS4 got a good boost overall.

SKMBlake said:
Microsoft didn't do anything bad with this generation, they only sold a lot of Xbox 360 because of the high priced PS3. With Sony selling their PS4 cheaper than the Xbox One at the begining, consumers trusted Sony again, just like during the PS2 era. And the Xbox One is doing regular and predictible Xbox sales (just like the original Xbox).

Sure they did.

Being $100 more at launch, Kinect being required, no used games/DRM fiasco gave it a really bad pre-launch reputation that they have not fully been able to shake off.

With that said, I agree that the PS brand in general is stronger than XB and that all things being equal PS will always outsell XB.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

SKMBlake said:

drm xbox one had  awful press, plus ps4 specs made xbox one look like shit. after i saw the specs of both i was gonna get a ps4 no questions asked.

jason1637 said:
Surprised the PS4 only outsold the Switch by 3k with MHW in NA. But PS4 got a good boost overall.

And as i was saying to I can't remember who.... MHW is not a system seller in NA.

quickrick said:
RolStoppable said:

Europeans have decided that Switch is awesome.

there is no evidence to support this at all. 

There is, it just didn't show up here before because Europe was constantly undertracked. Now that Europe is on track it's outselling the US