Forums - Sales Discussion - Global Hardware Sales 27 January 2018

Looking at Switch sales, I'm starting to think Nintendo's projections for this quarter (2.9m shipped) will be surpassed again. Awesome.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Around the Network
Intrinsic said:
bowserthedog said:

I feel very much the same way.  What microsoft would need to do to get me back is make a much larger investment into exclusive content. And not 3rd party exclusives which always feel destined to go multiplat at some point in the future.    Sounds like they are going to be bringing Fable back in a big way in the future and that's a good start. If they can create new studios and spend the next 2 or 3 years delivering more great exclusive single player experiences I could see myself looking to them again by the time next gen rolls around if they have the most powerful machine. 

Its not that simple.... the issue is that you are expecting MS to do in 2-3 years what its taken sony over 20yrs to do. To put things in perspective, sony has got almost 18 studios dedicated to making games exclusively for the PS brand. Every year like 4-5 of those studios at least release their games, most of which are new IPs. Sony has enough studios to keep that cycle of games going through out a generation.

This is actually the first generation of a sony console that they didn't aquire a new studio. 

Thats what MS is really up against. And its gonna take a lot longer than a couple of years to fix that. Issue with MS is that they were always short sighted when it came to the gaming industry in general. Happened with steam and happened with the PS. They were always so involved in winning, beating sony or their profit margins that they never actually secured their position in the industry or carved out their own identity.

Just imagine that MS spent $50M to secure DLC for a game that was also going to be on the PS, sony used that kinda money to buy two studios instead. 

In other words, Microsoft should have been building up their 1st party studios over the last decade rather than carving themselves into basically just Halo/Gears/Forza developers.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Intrinsic said:

Its not that simple.... the issue is that you are expecting MS to do in 2-3 years what its taken sony over 20yrs to do. To put things in perspective, sony has got almost 18 studios dedicated to making games exclusively for the PS brand. Every year like 4-5 of those studios at least release their games, most of which are new IPs. Sony has enough studios to keep that cycle of games going through out a generation.

This is actually the first generation of a sony console that they didn't aquire a new studio. 

Thats what MS is really up against. And its gonna take a lot longer than a couple of years to fix that. Issue with MS is that they were always short sighted when it came to the gaming industry in general. Happened with steam and happened with the PS. They were always so involved in winning, beating sony or their profit margins that they never actually secured their position in the industry or carved out their own identity.

Just imagine that MS spent $50M to secure DLC for a game that was also going to be on the PS, sony used that kinda money to buy two studios instead. 

In other words, Microsoft should have been building up their 1st party studios over the last decade rather than carving themselves into basically just Halo/Gears/Forza developers.

That line of logic isn't really sound when you consider that in the last few years Sony closed a bunch of their studios and put increased emphasis on buying up marketing deals for third party games.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has invested in neither increased first party development or marketing deals. The underlying issue is that Microsoft reduced the funding for the Xbox division, so the Xbox people had no choice but to lose to Sony in all areas. Consequently, they started to put their eggs in the holiday basket; because if you are short on options, focus on the parts where the biggest gains can come from.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

A Biased Review Reloaded / Open Your Eyes / Switch Gamers Club

RolStoppable said:
zorg1000 said:

That line of logic isn't really sound when you consider that in the last few years Sony closed a bunch of their studios and put increased emphasis on buying up marketing deals for third party games.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has invested in neither increased first party development or marketing deals. The underlying issue is that Microsoft reduced the funding for the Xbox division, so the Xbox people had no choice but to lose to Sony in all areas. Consequently, they started to put their eggs in the holiday basket; because if you are short on options, focus on the parts where the biggest gains can come from.

Closed a bunch.... but still have over 18 studios... some of which are even making more than one IP. 

You make it sound like sonys marketing deals somehow has hampered the amount of games they release...

Besides think of it as balance.... like the same strategy they employed with the PS1 and PS2. Invested in their studios and secured marketing deals with thrid parties too. With the PS3 they focused entirely in their studios, even in studios that were under performing. They just trimmed things down with the PS4... and by that i mean drop from like 21 studios to like 17 or 18. But at the same time that allowed them have the funds for their marketing deals.

Last edited by Intrinsic - on 23 February 2018

Ka-pi96 said:
quickrick said:

there is no evidence to support this at all. 

Rol is European and he's decided that Switch is awesome. That's pretty compelling evidence to me

Isn't he the guy that didn't touch a non-nintendo console for like 10 years? I've seen his 2006 posts and he still didn't change. 

Around the Network

... I'm actually more impressed that the XBO crossed 100k, lol

PEEPer0nni said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Rol is European and he's decided that Switch is awesome. That's pretty compelling evidence to me

Isn't he the guy that didn't touch a non-nintendo console for like 10 years? I've seen his 2006 posts and he still didn't change. 

Good job hes here simce 2007

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Intrinsic said:
RolStoppable said:

Closed a bunch.... but still have over 18 studios... some of which are even making more than one IP. 

You make it sound like sonys marketing deals somehow has hampered the amount of games they release...

The point is that Microsoft scaled down investment in all areas that can help console sales. It's not a matter of "they should have invested more into this area instead of that other area", but rather that the Xbox division needed more funds from Microsoft's bosses to begin with.

My comments about Sony were meant to show that Sony has adopted more of a Microsoft strategy this generation with a shift towards more marketing deals rather than investments in first party development. The number of PS4 first party game releases compared to PS3 hasn't really suffered, but that's because Sony exited the handheld market and is back to supporting only one console.

Legend11 correctly predicted that GTA IV (360+PS3) would outsell SSBB. I was wrong.

PEEPer0nni said:
Ka-pi96 said:

Nintendo Switch is my life. I would take a bullet for Nintendo.

RolStoppable said:
PEEPer0nni said:

Nintendo Switch is my life. I would take a bullet for Nintendo.

Would you take 2 bullets for them though?

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702