By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - 5G data coming soon

Kerotan said:
Will be useful for those who use their phones as their hot-spot. Especially for gaming.

Gaming is about fast pings, not bandwidth (except for downloading with steam)

Around the Network

This is awesome. No one should be questioning why we'd want faster internet. As the tech improves it becomes cheaper due to increased bandwidth. 5G will enable companies to move back towards true unlimited options without caps in congested areas.

This also combined with functionality like SpaceX putting micro-satellites in orbit for internet means we could have crazy cheap, super-broadband, communications in a few years.

I'd love to see a fully wireless delivery for all types of services. No need for dishes, wall connections, or wires of any kind for anything beyond electricity and water.

That's really cool but what really matters for online gaming is latency ... 

If I'm a competitive gamer I would pay lot's of money to offer a service where I can get a ping of just 10ms over distances of 5000 km (scratch that out since it's physically impossible for electrons to travel faster than the speed of light) even if the bandwidth was lower and there were data caps ... (it would be an achievement if we could keep the latency of under just 80ms for distances of 5000 km)

Like the ISP's themselves, I'm most excited about what this should do to relieve network congestion and hopefully improve coverage; get more of what you paid for in the first place. The higher speeds are a nice bonus. 

fatslob-:O said:

That's really cool but what really matters for online gaming is latency

One of 5G's best features is its ultra low latency (even 1 ms has been mentioned). It's so fast that it could make coax or even fiber lines comparatively impractical for most people. Of course we'll have to wait and see how it performs (and how it's priced) in the real world first. 

roadkillers said:
Yeah, well 4G tops out around 15mb/s, which is faster than my internet at home. Here is some ****ing crazy news:

5G will increase download speeds up to 10 gigabits per second.

What in the hell would someone need 10gb/s for? You can download full PC games in 5 seconds. Here come's the Watchdogs.

Now you can go over your cap in 5s

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

Around the Network
roadkillers said:
Yeah, well 4G tops out around 15mb/s, which is faster than my internet at home. Here is some ****ing crazy news:

What in the hell would someone need 10gb/s for? You can download full PC games in 5 seconds. Here come's the Watchdogs.

In reality, actual speeds rarely even come close to their theoretical max.  But, actual speeds do increase along with those elusive max speeds.  So, maybe you'll be able to download that big PC game in a minute or so. 

roadkillers said:

Your mobile device won't even be able to write the data to disc at half that speed.

TallSilhouette said:

One of 5G's best features is its ultra low latency (even 1 ms has been mentioned). It's so fast that it could make coax or even fiber lines comparatively impractical for most people. Of course we'll have to wait and see how it performs (and how it's priced) in the real world first. 

Need more qualifiers than that ... 

1ms over what distance ? (even then signals don't travel in straight lines either)

Really looking forward to 5G. Hopefully it will be able to re-shape the mobile landscape, and we can finally have some decent mobile devices. 4G and the Smartphone era has to be about as bad as it can get.

Hopefully Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo will make a hard push to capture a large portion of the 5G space.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Idk if someone has said this in the thread already, but soon home internet connection will go the way of landline telephone service.