By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - "Impossible" ports

For almost as long as there have been video games, there have been ports that try to cram games onto hardware far less capable than that which it was originally designed for. Many of these were even considered impossible, only for a determined dev to come along and pull them off.

Which ports impressed you the most in terms of defying your expectations of what the target hardware could handle?

Around the Network

Turrican on the C64

Turrican on the SNES on a 4Mbit cartridge (500KB) to save money

Street Fighter Alpha 2 on the SNES, a cartridge game with loading times

Doom on the GBA

Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox 360 was quite an impressive port job, in my opinion. A standout at a time when last gen ports had to sacrifice a lot to run smoothly.

Bet with Intrinsic:

The Switch will outsell 3DS (based on VGchartz numbers), according to me, while Intrinsic thinks the opposite will hold true. One month avatar control for the loser's avatar.

numberwang said:

Turrican on the C64

Doom on the GBA

But, Turrican debuted on the C64 didn't it? Pretty good game. The music ( when they chose to actually play it ) was awesome.

- "If you have the heart of a true winner, you can always get more pissed off than some other asshole."

numberwang said:

Turrican on the C64

Doom on the GBA

Turrican  was developed on the C64  then ported ,so it was going to more capable devices rather than being ported to less capable ones

Research shows Video games  help make you smarter, so why am I an idiot

Around the Network
COKTOE said:
numberwang said:

Turrican on the C64

Doom on the GBA

But, Turrican debuted on the C64 didn't it? Pretty good game. The music ( when they chose to actually play it ) was awesome.

Yes  you beat me to it,  in my post below yours, I mentioned it was developed on the C64 and ported to more capable devices.

Last edited by mjk45 - on 21 February 2018

I never thought we would get GTA LCS/VCS on the PSP. A REAL 3D GTA game on a handheld? That was nuts at the time.

granturismo238 said:
I never thought we would get GTA LCS/VCS on the PSP. A REAL 3D GTA game on a handheld? That was nuts at the time.

while I agree,it was a great bit of coding , this thread is really about ports to less capable systems  that exceeded our expectations of what could be done.

Street Fighter 2 on the Commodore 64.
https://youtu.be/lO_rJR7geT0?t=2m44s

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Street Fighter II on the SNES, relatively speaking, was probably the biggest of those, on terms of technical achievement, resulting sales and the game's influence.