By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Rumor: Smash Bros. coming this year with new content and reworked Wii U / 3DS content

Even before we truly knew what Switch was, rumors have persisted about Smash Bros. appearing on the new platform by featuring content from the games on Wii U and 3DS. Speculation has now picked up once again.

Emily Rogers, who has been both spot on and occasionally off the mark with Nintendo rumors, claims that a Smash Bros. games will be announced and released for Switch later this year. Rogers further says that it will include new content as well as re-worked content from the Wii U and 3DS games.

Rogers isn’t sure as to how Nintendo will brand the game. It’s possible that it could be a deluxe edition, some sort of sequel, or a full sequel.

https://nintendoeverything.com/rumor-new-speculation-about-smash-bros-releasing-on-switch-this-year-with-new-content-and-reworked-wii-u-3ds-content/

This is actually expected, and we probably talking about September launch alongside Switch online launch.

Around the Network

As i said before in another thread, I will only believe if this game is announced now, as in the next few weeks.

My assumption for this is that they will want to hype this new Smash Bros(which wont be a port as I believe, if this rumor is true) as they did for Smash 4, in that every month or so they reveal a new charachter.

But this seems for me more like an educated guess than anything else, giving the vagueness about it.But we will see.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

I expect them to release the next smash as a full sequel. It wont be a totally new game. It will be a similar sequel like Splatoon 2 to Splatoon 1.

Nautilus said:
As i said before in another thread, I will only believe if this game is announced now, as in the next few weeks.

My assumption for this is that they will want to hype this new Smash Bros(which wont be a port as I believe, if this rumor is true) as they did for Smash 4, in that every month or so they reveal a new charachter.

But this seems for me more like an educated guess than anything else, giving the vagueness about it.But we will see.

Nintendo changed quite bite from period when they announced Smash Bros 4, I mean they can announced it at E3 and released it in September-Oktober.

Combined WiiU and 3DS versions of Smash Bros 4, plus addition of new content instead of brand new Smash Bros that would need to be in development 3-4 years, totally make sense in any case, especially when Smash Bros 4 is biggest Smash game ever with huge number of characters.

axumblade said:
I hope Rayman joins Smash. Ive given up on Geno so he is my next most wanted character.

Wdyaa talking about? Geno is already in Smash 4.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

Smash Bros games are always announced at E3. So if it does happen it will be announced there with a release date of whenever the paid online is up.

I kinda want Smash 5 more now at this point but if they put a lot of new content that it is like Smash 4.5 than I won't mind. The only reason why my Wii U gets any use lately is because of Smash Bros 4. Once that's on the Switch than my Wii U is going into the closest. (I'm just kidding. I still use it to play Virtual Console and Wii games.)

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

Miyamotoo said:
Nautilus said:

Nintendo changed quite bite from period when they announced Smash Bros 4, I mean they can announced it at E3 and released it in September-Oktober.

Combined WiiU and 3DS versions of Smash Bros 4, plus addition of new content instead of brand new Smash Bros that would need to be in development 3-4 years, totally make sense in any case, especially when Smash Bros 4 is biggest Smash game ever with huge number of characters.

Its a matter of a marketing perspective.You dont simply pass the chance to market this game as 4 was, as in the hype only got bigger with each charachter revealed.And it could also work for the hardware itself.I dont think they would let that pass.Nintendo has changed its overall approach to games yes, but an oportunity is an oportunity.There is no good reason to announce a big IP and give people 2 or 3 months to hear about it/prepare for it and not maximize the reach and hype of said game.The minimum betwenn a reveal and release of a game like Samsh would be 6 months in my opinion.

Plus at this point, I dont think they will port 4.Given the success of the Switch, Nintendo is in no rush to release its biggest franchises, and a full sequel would make a far bigger impact than a port, even one with some new content.It might be 4 with enough new content to be considered a sequel, but it will be a sequel.

Thats my take on it anyways, I might be wrong, but thats my opinion.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Makes sense and has been rumoured for a long time. Given the success of Kart 8 DX, a Smash DX will in all likelihood be a big seller. I'd expect it to be announced soon, though, for a September launch. Maybe the rumours about a 'big' February Direct will be true, or we'll get a Direct in March.

Can't wait for Etikas reaction if this is true lol

Smash Bros. will find its way on the Switch one way or another. Smash is a hype train in of itself and one of the best selling fighting game series of all-time even with only 4 (5 if you include the 3DS version) entries. When will it happen and will it be a sequel or a deluxe port? My guess is as good as anyone's at this point.